i30 Owners Club

2013 i30 GD 1.8 Petrol Hard to start in cold mornings

joesama · 9 · 43524

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
So I guess you guys remember from few years ago where I got to the bottom of the strange noise at start up with my i30.

This time around, when the winter came and in the cold mornings, the car was having difficulties starting up. I managed to take a video of it and its in the youtube link below.

Now, the problem only started this year winter and it seemed pretty strange. My worst fear was that either the fuel pump was going, or I've got a bad fuel some where and the engine is not liking it. I heard that Fuel filter could be the cause for this too.
Fortunately, after about 2 weeks of intermittent symptoms of this, I just couldn't really figure it out. "Intermittent meaning, it's not fuel pump or filter or bad fuel."

So I called up Hyundai dealer ship (Since it's still within warranty period) and explained the symptoms. The service center immediately knew what the problem was. They said that with 1.8 engines, they are having some issues with the ECU. So they are getting quite a number of people with the issue on i30s and Elantras. The fix is quite simple really. Update the ECU software (which takes about 45mins) and it will be fixed.

So I booked it in and got it updated. Since than, it's been about 3 weeks without a problem any more.

Just as I was happy with the solution, I wasn't happy with the explanation. Why didn't this happen in the previous Winter season? Why only after 4 years this happens? From digging around and much of asking around, it seems like there are many different software incoded into the ECU. And sometimes what happens is that some of the codes have expiry date on them? And the updates on ECU/ or fix per se is to remove or extend the expiry date to what ever... like year 9999.. so that it doesn't expire again.

So there you have it.

Here is the TSB number for the fix guys.

joe....

Administrator Comment TSB 16048 - Cold start fix (for those on tapatalk or mobile device that may not be able to download/read PDF attachment)
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for sharing that Joe (awesome!)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SIG520

• 1st Gear

• Melbourne
My missus car is doing exactly the same thing! Hyundai dealer told us the same thing was wrong with the car so we had the cold start logic ECU update done under warranty also, but it hasn't fixed the problem.  I'm starting to think I may have been stitched up by the dealer and they haven't actually done the update or some how haven't done it properly.

The symptoms in your video are identical to what our car is doing. Do you think it's possible Hyundai could of made a mistake?

Cheers, Kris
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My missus car is doing exactly the same thing! Hyundai dealer told us the same thing was wrong with the car so we had the cold start logic ECU update done under warranty also, but it hasn't fixed the problem.  I'm starting to think I may have been stitched up by the dealer and they haven't actually done the update or some how haven't done it properly.

The symptoms in your video are identical to what our car is doing. Do you think it's possible Hyundai could of made a mistake?

Cheers, Kris

It is certainly possible.

Tell them it didn't fix it and refer them to this thread. If they take no notice, contact Hyundai Australia or try another dealer...

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hmm.. thats not good.
Perhaps try a different service dealer. It definitely fixed mine. I have no repeat of this since.
I'm guessing they didnt do the update at all. Because, once the engine is started and it's warm, it doesn't create this scenario until cold again.
Bring the TSB number with you and make sure they have done the update accordingly.
I would also contact Hyundai Australia if the dealer is unwilling to help.

Did you wait at the service center while they update the ECU?
I did, just to make sure they did it. It takes about 45mins to 1hr.

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi

Thanks for the post. Our 2013 GD 1.8 Auto is doing exactly the same thing. I contacted my local dealer and the initial response was confusion and they will call me back. It was serviced there and as they found ' no codes' didn't diagnose anything on the last visit. I'll see how I go.

BTW - which dealer did your fix? If I happen to be near..

Thanks again
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Red

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My car does that too.  Probably once every 3-4 months. 
So if I quote this TSB 16048, the dealer will know what is required on my next service? I'm way out of warranty though, so I wonder what that would cost..  :neutral:

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
HI all

The TSB fix was done by the dealer and all seems back to normal now.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update. Good to hear!   :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal