i30 Owners Club

EMPTY !!! coolant expansion tank

KKOM · 18 · 10916

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
As the title of my topic I figure out tha it was EMPTY !!!
Did any one knows what type of specific type of radiator fluid I can use and when it is better with cold or warm engine to add?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It details coolant in my Handbook.

If not detailed ask at the Hy dealers because if you add the wrong type of antifreeze it may interact with that already in the radiator and cause a problem with the system.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Add when cold ideally. Best place to buy antifreeze is at your dealer to make sure it's the same as that in the car already, as already said.

Personally I would be cheeky and turn up at the dealer's repair bay and ask what you need to add - chances are they might top it up for you. even if there is a small fee it will probably be less than buying a bottle.

Check for leaks too!

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Add when cold ideally. Best place to buy antifreeze is at your dealer to make sure it's the same as that in the car already, as already said.

Personally I would be cheeky and turn up at the dealer's repair bay and ask what you need to add - chances are they might top it up for you. even if there is a small fee it will probably be less than buying a bottle.

Check for leaks too!
The hall tank is empty...With engine cold I checked the main radiator hose and it is full.
And the thing is that the thermometer gauge doesnt show any difference to higher...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Just fill it as soon as possible, a quick visit to the dealer.

Pip
When the engine is cool, pop the radiator cap and check whether the coolant is low in there too. You should be able to dip your finger into it - in other words it should be brim full.  If low, you need to fill that as well as the expansion tank.

Low coolant in the radiator is more serious, low coolant in the expansion tank alone is of little consequence in itself other than indicating something is wrong which is causing coolant loss. Loss of coolant requires the reason to be determined.  Take it to the dealer.

Adding a relatively small amount of water will be fine, particularly if you cannot be certain to match the type of anti-freeze additive used. 50% or so of the coolant is just water anyway so all you are doing is making a very slight change to the ratio of water to anti-freeze.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

[/quote] or having to buy a new engine.  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
If your coolant has dropped that low, it would indicate a possible problem to me.

Get a Hyundai dealer to check it out and ask them to sort it if needed, under the warranty.

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Finally...
I wrote late last night the owners manual to check what type of coolant fluid I can use and today I went with my other car to the shortest gas station to buy 1 liter so I use almost half then I drove for almost 100km and 1 hour of city driving and on the way back I checked with hot engine and it was ok I will check it again tonight with cool engine to see

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Finally...
I wrote late last night the owners manual to check what type of coolant fluid I can use and today I went with my other car to the shortest gas station to buy 1 liter so I use almost half then I drove for almost 100km and 1 hour of city driving and on the way back I checked with hot engine and it was ok I will check it again tonight with cool engine to see

Did this coolant fluid have to be diluted with water, or was it pre-mixed :question:

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
It was premixed antifreeze up to -10c anf antitherm thats all

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

You will obviously need to keep checking the coolant level and keep an eye out for leaks.  If there are no obvious leaks, it may also be a good idea to make sure that the coolant fluid is not entering the oil.  I would check the oil level and remove the oil filler cap also, making sure the oil looks a natural colour and not light grey or milky looking.

Hope the car stays good.

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I will check it tomorrow...
Cross fingers...

Should be ok, but best to check anyway.

Good Luck

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Finally this morning I checked again the coolant level in the tank and in the radiator and after I checked the quality of engine oil and it is clear -and not "soapy" -,dark brown color and everything so far goes fine!!!!!!!

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Finally this morning I checked again the coolant level in the tank and in the radiator and after I checked the quality of engine oil and it is clear -and not "soapy" -,dark brown color and everything so far goes fine!!!!!!!

That's good news, hope it's sorted.  May come and say hello, next time I visit Crete :D.

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Any time my friend come to visit me and to drink"tsikoudia" !!!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal