i30 Owners Club

15 i30 1.4 - whining noise on acceleration/clutch release

Offline scottp316

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi, just bought a 15' i30  34k miles last week. No trouble at all other than battery for the first week (dealership replaced before I even picked it up as it had gone flat through lockdown lol)

Today I put it through its paces on a quick dual carriageway and at one point upon hitting 5th gear it began creating a whining noise from the engine that I could hear faintly over music. I turned music off and opened windows on a slower road, it had gone away but kept coming back when I would release the clutch and accelerate. By the time i'd got back home and was doing around 20mph in 2nd gear around our cul de sac, it was fairly loud and constant.

Any ideas? I've booked in with Hyundai for a 'free health check'
  • i30 1.4l 2015

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Scott,

Can't say I recall a similar post. We didn't get the 1.4 petrol in Australia. I had to double check it wasn't a diesel there for a minute! Plenty of European owners on here have the 1.4 in various models so hopefully someone will be along in the next day or so with helpful feedback. Be patient though being a world wide forum/club means a lot of different time zones..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline scottp316

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thanks Dazzler

I've just took the car for a spin this morning and not had any whining noises (albeit was only a 5 min drive getting up to 40mph)

Will take it in for the checkup when they can book that in and hope for the best!

Update: Hyundai garage advised no point in bringing it in at the moment as I couldn't replicate the sound but will just keep an eye on it. Doing some long distance motorway driving at the weekend so lets see how I fare
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 14:20:34 by scottp316 »
  • i30 1.4l 2015

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal