i30 Owners Club

Sticky steering

Laws · 7 · 10063

Offline Laws

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Durham
Hi, I have recently (1 week ) bought a 2013 i30 1.4 petrol hatchback. I quickly noticed that the steering felt 'sticky' when travelling above 50mph on a straight section of road. The steering sticks in one position and a small extra force is required to unstick it. Only noticeable on the straight. Has any one else experienced this fault? Does anyone know how to fix it?
  • i30 1.4 SE Petrol 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi, I have recently (1 week ) bought a 2013 i30 1.4 petrol hatchback. I quickly noticed that the steering felt 'sticky' when travelling above 50mph on a straight section of road. The steering sticks in one position and a small extra force is required to unstick it. Only noticeable on the straight. Has any one else experienced this fault? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Unfortunately this can happen with electronic steering control there are several instances of this being reported, on your series 2 (GD) version. The biggest issue is convincing the service department there is an issue. Being it is intermittent, even if you leave your vehicle with them for several days the chances of "no fault found" are still.quite high.

There is probably about a 50/50 chance resetting the BCM (body control module) by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a minimum of around 30 minutes.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Check your tyres for uneven wear and check pressures first off.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When I was having this same issue it ended up being the alignment, front end only slight adjustments were required though the rear tracking was way out due to a previous alignment shop setting it wrong.

Offline cturem

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Yes, my steering feels sticky when driving at a decent speed. It also does the knocking when parking or driving at very slow speeds.

I mentioned in a different post how the dealer said it (the knocking) was the bushing/coupler, then when they went to repair it, said it wasn't that but that it was the steering column. So they allegedly replaced the bottom portion of the column. Then (surprise) that didn't do anything, so they needed to replace the top of the column which would be stupidly expensive. I stopped at that point, had been duped enough by them.
  • 2012 i30 GD Active, Hatch, 1.8L Petrol, Auto, Silver

Offline Laws

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Durham
Hi all, a follow up on my sticky steering problem. I took the car to Evans Halshaw Gateshead which is a Hyundai dealership. They took the steering column apart and identified a worm gear that was sticking. To my surprise their solution to the problem was to fit a completely new steering column. The car's steering is now perfect though it has a different feel compared to my Subaru Legacy Mk V. Very happy and I can thoroughly recommend the guys at Gateshead for their excellent service. They even valeted the car! The work was done under the Evans Halshaw 3 month guarantee so cost me nothing. I had the use of a 2021 i10 while my car was getting repaired. I would like to post this message to everyone but don't know how to.
  • i30 1.4 SE Petrol 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the follow up post Laws.
And great news.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal