i30 Owners Club

Rim's And Tyres

awj2005 · 16 · 6332

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi
i have 17 inch rims and tyres on my car but if i have to much weight on one side of my car my right wheel is scraping and hitting the gaurd each time and its only that side. i have had the rear end re done twice and it still does the same. the tyres on it atm are 235/45 R17 would it be better going for a smaller tyres eg 245's??

any information will help.

cheers
ash

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "awj2005"
Hi
i have 17 inch rims and tyres on my car but if i have to much weight on one side of my car my right wheel is scraping and hitting the gaurd each time and its only that side.

Are they factory fitted?
If so go back top dealer for them to sort out

i have had the rear end re done twice

What have you had re done twice????
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi
i have 17 inch rims and tyres on my car but if i have to much weight on one side of my car my right wheel is scraping and hitting the gaurd each time and its only that side. i have had the rear end re done twice and it still does the same. the tyres on it atm are 235/45 R17 would it be better going for a smaller tyres eg 245's??

any information will help.

cheers
ash

Hi Ash,

Sounds like a width issue. Thought standard width as per factory wheels on SR (215) yours are 2 Cm wider ....245 are wider still could make problem worse?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi Ash
I have got 215/45 ZR17 on my car and have no problems with rubbing,even with a boot ful of lugage and 4 of us in the car.Yours are probably a bit wide.
cheers Ian

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi guys thanx for the feedback.

what are the width on the 17 inch sr rim? and yeah i suspected tyres but these tyres still have alot of tread on them.

eye30, ive had the rear toe done on the back end suposable the guys told me as the i30 doesnt have a camber at all and no these are after market rims even though i have the spares in the shed well the ones that came with them.

cheers
ash

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Ash,  

I have an SLX model. I sold the factory alloys off mine and got 18" after market alloys
The rims i chose are 225/40. I was told that 235 woul be ok but didnt want to chance it as i had scrapping on my previous car when I put 19's on. In that case I had the edges of the wheels guards rolled and nver had any further problems. I agree, based on this that the 245 could be a bit wide.
I was going to put the attatchment to some photos of my car so you can see the rims but bugged if I can work out how. These computers are like new science to me.

You can view  them here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=169
 :D

Eyma all you have to do is copy the link(address) from the address bar at the top of your browser and paste it into your post.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi guys,
im thinking of just selling my 17inch rims and tyres and selling the stockies that came with the slx and getting rims that actually are made for the i30 i think it'll be alot easier tham spending so much money on tyres...
o and they are 235/45 R17 not 245/25 R17 sorry guys but i think i wrote it down properly.

cheers ash

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Ash,

It will cost you a LOT more to buy the Hyundai wheels. After market are fine, just dont go wider than 225. Also, i had a hell of a time getting mine as many of the wheels i liked didnt dish out enough to clear the brake caliphers. Just make sure you talk to a reputable outlet when you order the rims.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi, im not going to get hyundai ones pfft im going aftermarket all the way and if i have enough money left then i mite lower it. but thats a different story.

btw eyma how much were ur tyres and rims? and lowered shockies?

cheers
ash

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi ash,

The tyres and rims cost me $1700 from Bob Jane. I could have saved maybe another $200 or so going for cheap tyres but have made that mistake before. Its worth paying a few bucks more for tryers.
The lowering cost me $400. I know a few blokes in the motor industry and this was supposed to be a mates rate price though I have no idea if this was really a good deal or just their standard price. Either way, I am very happy with both the way the car looks and handles with this mod. :D

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi,
yeah thanx for that now i know how much roughly i'll be spending on a new set of wheels and rubber would u roughly know how much i'll get for the old ones and if anyone would like a set of SLX mags and wheels? just thought i would put it out there lol.

anyway thanx for the info
ash

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
im getting 18s with tyres in a package from www.tempetyres.com.au all up $1600 delivered which is easily the best pack place ive ever seen on the net and around my town...  :mrgreen:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Teamgeorge...

When we getting those pix  ;)

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
im getting the rims this week and my car is due in next monday the 10th...

unfortunately i've had to get 17's cos the 18s were out of stock so i got a few hundred back but i think i'll be more happy cos 17s are legal and insurance etc etc... i'll have a topic in the pics of your ride section with update pics while im modding it (tastefully).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No worries M8  ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal