i30 Owners Club

diesel filter cartridge

DG1 · 10 · 2530

Offline DG1

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      geelong
Hello all,
I've been running my 09 i30 for 25000 km now without a cartridge and no problems, and change the  oil every 6000 - 7000km. Does anyone see any problem continuing to do this?
I bought my first cartridge from a Hyundai dealer in early 2010 for $32 and the latest batch I bought off ebay were $5.00 each...would they be of much use? Thanks for replies, DG1
  • i30cw sx diesel manual

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Are you talking about diesel filter or oil filter? If you have removed either one, I see a problem in there. The filters are there for a reason.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Based on the prices, I suspect oil.

Diesel filters are more expensive.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline DragOn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
The omission of any filter will have a detrimental effect on an engines longevity.

With regards to the fuel system, there is no guarantee that the fuel supply is perfectly clean. An excess of water in the fuel can result in lower power output, corrosion of the lines, injector damage and reduced combustion power.  There is also the risk of other contaminants (dust etc.) which could cause injector blockage and/or failure.

Day to day running of an engine causes wear and tear on the mechanical components.  Carbon deposits from combustion, metal particles from friction wear, or anything else that ends up in the oil sump would be recirculated through the engine causing premature wear to the oil pump, resulting in lower oil pressure and more wear to all engine components if there is no filter.

Air filters remove airborne dust. No filter would allow contaminants into the combustion chamber and cause premature wear of the bore, pistons and rings, thus reducing engine performance and increasing carbon build up. Which can end up in the oil sump, and if there is no oil filter? (See above).

All may be fine to the naked eye initially, but every day the engine components wear that little bit more until one day they fail.

Whilst it is your choice to go without filters, the few dollars you save will drastically shorten the life of your engine, costing you a heck of alot more in the long run.
  • i30 GD 5 Door Hatch 1.8l Auto Silver | '74 4 Door Torana | '09 FD Manual 2.0l

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@DragOn

Excellent post! Well explained. Quite obvious when you think about it!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:whsaid: :wss:

Good responses to an utterly stupid question:
 " [no filter] Does anyone see any problem continuing to do this?

Answer simply put:
   All engines have had fuel and oil filters for about 100 years. I wonder why????? , Duh! :rolleyes:

:crazy1:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant believe the question of whether filters are required was even asked :faint:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I cant believe the question of whether filters are required was even asked :faint:

Well mate, we do have some utter dick-heads who come here just to air their madness.  :wacko:

I agree with tw who suspects it was just a one post wind-up.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Well mate, we do have some utter dick-heads who come here just to air their madness.  :wacko:

I agree with tw who suspects it was just a one post wind-up.
You would think after 6 years membership on this forum one might have learnt something  :wink: so it is a strange question for one’s first post :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ agreed.

If there's no reply from DG1 within the next 48 hours feel free to HOS this post  :wait:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal