i30 Owners Club

2018 petrol possible software issue?

Offline MummyMoo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      ABERDEENSHIRE
Hi hive mind, I'm new to this to bear with... I am having issues with my i30 either not unlocking with the fob or not starting. It acts as though the battery is flat, completely dead, but if you leave it a few mins it usually comes alright again. There has also been a few times when the satnav screen has gone off for a split second while I'm driving and the lights on the dash all flash on and off like when you start it up. It has also, quite a few times now, "died" when I've switched it off rather than the display still being on. It usually doesn't lock or start after that has happened but again if you leave it a wee bit, it starts up again. I have no warning lights coming on the dash... When I called a local garage they think it could be the software or the battery... my local Hyundai garage can't look at it until Nov... any ideas?
  • 2018 5 door hatch 1.2 turbo petrol manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Mummymoo,

Isn't this covid world crazy! A potential safety issue and they can't look at it for a month! I'm guessing if it was a lucrative non-warranty job they would squeeze you in sooner. 

Definitely sounds like an electrical gremlin. Only two things i can suggest is check the battery terminals are both tight, but before you do that,  disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 30 minutes which should reset the body control module (BCM).

Neither may help but worth a try. If these don't fix it then I'd contact Hyundai Uk and tell them you are scared to drive
It and see if they can pull some strings to speed things up.

Good luck. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
car off. multimeter on DC voltage scale across the battery terminals - whats it read, engine not running?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal