i30 Owners Club

Playing radio without key in

sopel · 3 · 2164

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
Is it possible, to make our radio play without key inside ignition ? (i don't know the right word for that place, where you place key to start car :P )

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi sopel.

You will need to rewire the switched +ve feed to the radio to make sure it has power when the key is out of the ignition.

Removing the radio fascia (cover) is quite easy and it gives you access to all the wires going to the radio, and plenty more around it, so you can easily wire a hot +ve to the radio :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
It could be done, as Shambles says, but just be aware that doing so might keep the Body Control Module awake. The car goes to "sleep" (i.e. all electrical systems shut down) when you lock it, and sometimes playing with things like that can make the BCM stay awake, which can run the battery flat. Also, the only way to stop the radio if you modified it like that would be to turn it off and then press the DARK button to make the screen go off. The radio would still be powered up though and even if it doesn't bother the BCM it will use more power than if it was completely off us normal.

If you do it and then something starts acting strangely, that will probably be the cause. Worst-case scenario, you can always change it back.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal