i30 Owners Club

Turbo weeping

duggy · 16 · 4159

Offline duggy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan
Have been advised by Kmart tyre and auto that our 2009 i30 had a "weeping turbo" no idea wtf there talking about, But they have said between $1500-$3000 to fix/replace.
Could i just buy
:link: GT1544V Turbo for Hyundai I30/imax/Accent/Verna/Getz/Kia Rio D4F 2A400
and do a straight swap?
  • 2009 I30cw slx wagon

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did the mechanic suggest that the turbo is cactus?

I would be seeking out a second opinion in this case.

Offline duggy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan
all they said to wife was turbo had a leak/weep maybe oil?, Car still runs fine and no loss of power. She cant remember if they said rebuild or something else, Receipt didn't help much either   
  • 2009 I30cw slx wagon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For starters seek better advice than Kmart Auto, they are known for their lies and are very over priced and won’t fit competitive products.

My folks recently were quoted $580 for front discs and pads by Kmart auto, I rang them up and asked if that price was correct and if they would fit the DBA discs I could get, they refused for reasons of they can’t warrant the job if not using their own parts :disapp:  I ended up taking their car to my favourite brake shop and got the DBA discs with Bendix ceramic technology pads for $220 :happydance:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
For starters seek better advice than Kmart Auto, they are known for their lies and are very over priced and won’t fit competitive products.

My folks recently were quoted $580 for front discs and pads by Kmart auto, I rang them up and asked if that price was correct and if they would fit the DBA discs I could get, they refused for reasons of they can’t warrant the job if not using their own parts :disapp:  I ended up taking their car to my favourite brake shop and got the DBA discs with Bendix ceramic technology pads for $220 :happydance:
That's awfully cheap. Did you have a gun against their head? Or Is that parts only or do you get trade? Were the DBAs with that new coating  'En-Shield'  they talk about :scared:

Oh, yeah, I've had talks with Kmart and apparently they miss out on their kickbacks from ripco :lol:

Gets more interesting with tyre fitments, I go elsewhere now.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline duggy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

yeah going to find a local mechanic and see what they say. just checking if there is an issue with the turbo should i source my own and just get someone to install.

I trusted Kmart i think for to long and think they a taking to piss of people now.
  • 2009 I30cw slx wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You could get a low k good diesel motor  for much less, rip the bloody turbo off, flog what's left and save a packet as well.

New OEM is even from Korea is quite expensive now plus duty etc over $1600 I estimate.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What K's are we talking and where is the weep? Oil consumption? Blowing smoke? Noise?

Offline duggy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan
saying possible oil leak she thinks, no noise, no smoke 190k
is this turbo not the same?
  • 2009 I30cw slx wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have been advised by Kmart tyre and auto that our 2009 i30 had a "weeping turbo" no idea wtf there talking about, But they have said between $1500-$3000 to fix/replace.
Could i just buy
and do a straight swap?
That's got to be chinese, no Garrett stamp on that one, there are catridges out there to rebuild these, don't know much about them. I do have a destroyed turbo off a 377000K example though.

sheared off on turbine side, rest of shaft and impellor still in the housing.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
It's not a Garrett.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:37:07 by tw2005 »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

That's awfully cheap. Did you have a gun against their head? Or Is that parts only or do you get trade? Were the DBAs with that new coating  'En-Shield'  they talk about :scared:

Oh, yeah, I've had talks with Kmart and apparently they miss out on their kickbacks from ripco :lol:

Gets more interesting with tyre fitments, I go elsewhere now.
Nah :lol: they're just really honest prices ( the old man just checked and cost was $212 ) which included fitting with En-Shield discs, I've used Port Kennedy Brake Re-Manufacturers for the last 20 odd years and he's always been great with anyone I send his way.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:26:59 by CraigB »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
2nd opinion or more observation a good Idea at those dollars.

Here's my thinking.

weeping / leaky turbo suggests seal and bearing wear

I'd expect it to be noisy or whining / whistling more than the avearge and generally you won't hear the turbo.

I'd also expect some oil consumption more than normal and mine appear to use none although I may have one that has used 0.5l in 5000k, I don't drive that one so hard to judge.

So if it's quiet, not blowing oil smoke or consuming oil  I'd hold tight and keep an eye on it.

Check the intercooler and intake hose clamps to the turbo are tight and the hoses are firm.

I got an i40 CRDi recently, 110000k and logbook serviced, noticed wet oil on the impeller side of the turbo where the intake is attached.  Hose was so loose it slipped off, covered in oil and grit. I'm going to say some boofhead slackened it off for maintenance and did not tighten it back up.

Hard to say what the life of one is, going to vary a lot with how well it's been maintained and oil quality. I prefer to do 6month or 10000k intervals, personally I don't like the 12 month 15000k but I'm no engineering expert.

I do know that oil and filter is immensely cheaper than a new turbo in the long run.

@nzenigma , plenty of free opinions around

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Biggest risk with a turbo failure would be self fuelling with engine oil until the motor detonates.

here's a nice example.

:happydance:

:link: epic diesel engine fail - YouTube

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Biggest risk with a turbo failure would be self fuelling with engine oil until the motor detonates.

here's a nice example.

:happydance:

:link: epic diesel engine fail - YouTube

Ah @tw2005 , catching up on the epoxy  :crazy2:

That video could relate to the satanic Nissan Navara ( I'm delighted to say)  :happydance:

However, unlike the Navara the i30 has a throttle valve which should over-ride oil self fueling via the inter cooler.

@duggy  Loose Kmart and find a competent mechanic who runs and independent workshop. It is usual for the hose pipe coming from the turbo to have a wet smear of oil inside it.

Oil is pumped at pressure into the turbo to lubricate the bearing. Some of it will seep past the oil seal. 
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline duggy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan
Thanks for the reply everyone, Will go find some new mechanics and go from there.
Now to find the next issue.
  • 2009 I30cw slx wagon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal