i30 Owners Club

C/C, ESC, CD player, Auto Stop issues *SOLVED*

MrShed · 12 · 4362

Offline MrShed

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have had a June 2012 i30 for about 7 months now - love the car, but around 2 weeks ago, I suddenly lost a lot of the "extras":
- Cruise Control light would go on, but cant set it
- Auto Stop has stopped working (not saying "deactivated" just nothing, as if it no longer exists).
- ESC light comes on after a mile or two of driving and wont go off until engine turned off and on.
- CD player also gets stuck on "reading CD" - I barely use the CD player so unsure if this happened at the same time, or if its related - could be a red herring.

I've also noticed the following, but they are a bit more subjective:
- Rough engine sound when idling from time to time, and sounds a bit rougher at speed also
- Fuel economy has dropped through the floor (well by about 10%) - could be due to lack of auto stop though!

If I ignore the subjective bits, and the CD player, this sound like a brake light switch issue as I've heard described. However, the dealer tells me that my VIN wasn't affected by this, and that this issue would "cause the brake lights to be always on" (not according to what I've read!).

Dealer believes that this is a clutch switch issue, and has ordered the part. Just wanted to post here and sense check - the dealer is about a 40 mile round trip from me, and I'm already going to have to do that trip twice...just want to try and prevent excessive toing and fro-ing to the dealer if anyone here thinks they are completely barking up the wrong tree!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
  • Hyundai i30 Crdi BlueDrive 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome - sorry to hear of your [extensive list of] woes :(

Give the old "Ecu/Bcm reset" trick a go. You know the one, where you disconnect the -ve battery terminal for half an hour.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline MrShed

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I didn't know about that one actually....! Anything else I need to be aware of when doing that, or literally just disconnect the neg for 30 min? Will it affect anything else?

Thanks - and also thanks for the welcome :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You'll need to reset your radio presets ;)

It seems to be a recurring issue, that the Body Control Module (through which most of the 'domestic' electrical circuits take a path) can seem to become corrupt.

Offline MrShed

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
No dice unfortunately :( no change!

Although I did get to reprogram my radio and "lose" the girlfriends smooth radio tuning ;)

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: MrShed
Although I did get to reprogram my radio and "lose" the girlfriends smooth radio tuning ;)

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Yeah, 97-108 FM :P

That's if you're in the UK :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome MrShed,

You already tried the tip I would have given while I was asleep...  :Pout:

Not familiar with any issues with the clutch switch (again, the brake light switch came to mind when I first started reading your post)

Hopefully, some other members will eventually see you post and come up with other possibilities.

Your Dealer certainly doesn't fill me with confidence!  :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MrShed

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Forgot to reply - apparently, my cynical view was misplaced! Dealer replaced clutch switch, everything back like a dream :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Forgot to reply - apparently, my cynical view was misplaced! Dealer replaced clutch switch, everything back like a dream :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This is weird that you had seemingly unrelated issues fixed by replacement of the clutch switch.

I am having major issues with electrical interference which affects one frequency on AM radio for which multiple radio replacements have not helped. Now the car has developed intermittent failure of the remote control lock/unlocking since the last radio replacement. Could this be a Body Control Module issue?

However the other thing I've noticed was that when I bought the car, there was a safety mechanism whereby if the clutch pedal was not pressed, the engine would not start. However nowadays I can start it in neutral with no issue and no pedal pressed.  Perhaps a clutch switch issue too? Could this be weirdly related? Goes into dealer tomorrow.

My cruise control works though.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline MrShed

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I suspect the CD player was separate and they just didn't tell me what was up.  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal