i30 Owners Club

Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us - part #2

meehalych · 591 · 114633

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Augusta WA during breeding season they all head north around the south-west cape and come in really close to shore and sometimes into the river mouth.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Went on a 3 hr  Whale watch cruise at Mooloolaba Qld last year. Had a terrific time, saw plenty of whales and they came right up to the boat. Only problem I had was the camera at the time I was using took so long to react and when they breached I kept getting just the tail.  :disapp: Well worth taking the Whale watch boats if ever near the Gold Coast or places along the South east coast. :goodjob2:

Never mind, at least it gave you some tales to tell.  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I attended the Veteran's Day service at the Shrine of Remembrance today, the focus being on reservists and conscripts. I had signed up to supervise approximately 20 cadets and staff there to support the parade as a flag bearing contingent.

No sooner had I arrived than the organising committee saw the uniform, medals and rank and kidnapped me for the role of Senior Air Force Officer representing the Chief of Air Force. Amid announcements of messages from the GG and PM, I sat beside the senior Army and Navy representatives to take in the parade, receive salutes and lay wreaths.

Meanwhile, my cadets did a terrific job marching the national flags all the way up the road and the steps of the Shrine.

The flypast by 2 CT4s and 2 Winjeels in diamond formation was a touch of class.

You never know what you may end up doing once you don the uniform. :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 13:10:18 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for all you have done and continue to do Gonz.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice one Gonz!

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
So just had my 4 year/120k km service done (At 62k km thanks to the previous owner who only drove 6k km over her two years of ownership). Still got 1½ year of warranty left and will probably hit 120k km at the last service within warranty.

Provided my own, 0w-30(AV-L) shell helix ultra professional oil which i get for 1/3 of the price they charge for 5w-30 standard helix ultra. No complaints from their side, despite me only providing 5l instead of the asked for 5.3l. I did leave a note on the can saying that last time they had overfilled the car(which they had by 3dl) and that I would rather top up back home so as not to have to pump oil out again, so that might have helped.

Got them to do a wheel alignment too, which it turns out was badly needed (as I expected from my inner wear on both summer and winter tires). I wonder if they would have recommended me one if I had not said anything about it, I think not, imo they ought to check the alignment at service, especially when its 30k km intervals. Toe adjusted .25 degrees on both front and one rear. Car feels a lot firmer on the road already and the steering is back where it was when I bought it, firm and nice, definitely worth the money! :)

Also got a metal cargo guard/net and roof rack while I was at it. Managed to get a 10% discount on everything too, so the guards/rack came out cheaper than buying online(and I know they fit!).

While I was in the dealership waiting for them to finish up(got back a bit early) I ran into the sales person who sold me the car and had a chat with him too. Told him I'm happy with everything except the Hankooks that are fitted standard and it looked like he had heard that one a thousand times before and just excused that they have to sell them with those on.

Also got to look at the Iconic, just a sit in and check out the boot - Might actually be a good contender for my next car a few years down the line! Boot was a lot larger than the pictures look.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very interesting post xiziz, thanks for that. My new SR came with Hankook Ventus Prime 2 which I believe are reasonably well considered around the traps. Tyre noise would be the worst (and maybe only) complaint about the new car. I won't know how much of this is related to the tyre brand until I replace them down the track. I imagine Hyundai has some connections with Korean Tyre brands Kumho/Handkook, maybe even financial?

Interestingly, they do seem quieter since I dropped the tyre pressures back from low 40's to mid 30's.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Yeah, mines on the ventus prime 2's aswell, I will know next spring when I am expecting to have them replaced, but the EU markings put them at 73db(think 69db on the newest vp2 makes), E on economy on 205/55/r16.

They sell almost exclusivly Kumho as winter tires here, hankooks as summers, they get a good deal on them so customers are not that willing to get other brands mounted at hyundai dealer.

Hankook makes a very good studded tire though(ipike rs 419), that I had on my volvo that had a very competative priceing(and there going on my rims before this winter as I still have then on volvo rims in the basement and the kumos are shot)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine are 225/40R 18. With my luck they will last 80,000 like my Calais tyres did!  :crazy1: :snigger:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Mine are 225/40R 18. With my luck they will last 80,000 like my Calais tyres did!  :crazy1: :snigger:

Dazz my i30's were the hardest cars i've had on tyre wear. i was expecting a small car to get better tyre life, but they seemed hard on tyres.
my mate down here who got the 2012 FD i30 CRDi 6 speed manual has only 60,000k up but on his third set of tyres.
he drives fast but 70 y o. he said same the wear tyres fast.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz my i30's were the hardest cars i've had on tyre wear. i was expecting a small car to get better tyre life, but they seemed hard on tyres.
my mate down here who got the 2012 FD i30 CRDi 6 speed manual has only 60,000k up but on his third set of tyres.
he drives fast but 70 y o. he said same the wear tyres fast.

I think I did about 58K in my FD i30 and think I changed the tyres at a bit over 50K?

Trish only did about 27K in her 4 y/o CW and the tyres were still fine and done about 20K in the tourer and less than half worn.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. Mine wore really well once I got off the original Hankooks.
I imagine the diesels would get a bit less.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
BA(Hons) Fashion Design :D

I am soooo proud.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Congrats Steve  :goodjob2:

Hehe. It wasn't me, it was Melissa. I just paid for it all :rolleyes: ;)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow, she's cute! :D

Give her our congrats! Nice one.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Congratulations to Melissa.  :goodjob2:  Our grand niece Millie is at Uni in London studying for the same degree. My sister informed me she now has to go with some fashion designer for work study as part of the course.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well done....

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Congratulations!

- I dropped my phone in my full breakfast cup of coffee, got covered 2/3 of the way up. Moto G2, so nothing fancy or water/coffee proof
-- One of the speakers got sticky and the whole phone was sounding wonky, but was stll working so I figured it was fine to leave it on all day untill I had time to look at it.
+ A T4 screwdriver, some rubbing alcohol and the phone is working correctly after beeing completly dissasembled(while still turned on) and reassembled this evening.

- Now I wish all my things were as well built as my car and phone.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Glad the Moto G was salvageable! I have the first gen Moto G that I gave to my mum to use for two years that I also dropped face down in a puddle of water. Heroically I dipped my fingers into the icy cold water and scooped it out and it still works perfectly fine to this day.

The earpiece is a bit scratchy but that was a common complaint with the first gen Moto G's - apparently dust had a way of getting inside the earpiece and causing some distortion
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Since you lot don't share any news here anymore let me post another one :mrgreen:

-Been a rough day at work, but +got to knock off early so I took Hippo in to the local panelbeater to see what they will charge me for some minor touch-ups
-I heard from the housemate that someone from next door apparently had some medical emergency and the street was filled with police vans and ambulances. I hope they're ok but I haven't heard anything further
+Was good to drive Hippo again, even if it was to the next suburb over. Driving the work Caddy gets tiring :sweating:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
- long, long time before a vacation

Knowing you, that's like 4 weeks away :lol:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Just gave my 75th blood donation today.

Up to a few years ago, for 75 you would be invited to a Certificate Ceremony in a posh hotel  but that is now for 100 donations.

Checking the blood donation website, for donating 75 I get an Emerald donor card, badge and certificate.

Roll on another 25 which should be in just over 6 years... 

When I gave my 1st donation I went with a friend, his mother was a nurse and persuaded us to go as she said we would get a voucher for a pint in the pub next to the donation centre, Central Hall in Liverpool. 

You can imagine our disappointment when we were given a cup of milky tea and a biscuit..... still waiting for the pint

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There is probably several pints worth of alcohol in the blood they take from you Lester :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Just gave my 75th blood donation today.

Up to a few years ago, for 75 you would be invited to a Certificate Ceremony in a posh hotel  but that is now for 100 donations.

Checking the blood donation website, for donating 75 I get an Emerald donor card, badge and certificate.

Roll on another 25 which should be in just over 6 years... 

When I gave my 1st donation I went with a friend, his mother was a nurse and persuaded us to go as she said we would get a voucher for a pint in the pub next to the donation centre, Central Hall in Liverpool. 

You can imagine our disappointment when we were given a cup of milky tea and a biscuit..... still waiting for the pint

Update:

Just checked my records and I gave my first donation on 10 February 1971.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal