i30 Owners Club

2010 4sp auto jumps from 3rd to 2nd

Eagle7 · 9 · 2214

Offline Eagle7

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi, I bought a 2010  I30 4sp auto this week with only 50,000 kms on the clock (car serviced at dealer where i bought it) , drove it 2km out of the dealership and it jumped from 3rd to 2nd, at the time I wasn't sure what had happened then i found it wouldn't change gear at all, auto box was non responsive and stuck in 2nd. Called the dealer up immediately and returned the car the next day, it did the exact same thing to me on the way back there.

They have had it 3 days and have just called me to say they have replaced the gearbox under the used car warranty, the only info they have given me is that 'something' was slipping in the box and it couldn't be repaired.
I pick the car up after the weekend so i will post again next week once i've actually put some decent kms on the thing!
  • I30SX

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Many automatc transmissions go to 2nd gear when they are in "error mode". Those old 4 speed transmissions have had some problems with valve body. Those have been changed during and after warranty time.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi, I bought a 2010  I30 4sp auto this week with only 50,000 kms on the clock (car serviced at dealer where i bought it) , drove it 2km out of the dealership and it jumped from 3rd to 2nd, at the time I wasn't sure what had happened then i found it wouldn't change gear at all, auto box was non responsive and stuck in 2nd. Called the dealer up immediately and returned the car the next day, it did the exact same thing to me on the way back there.

They have had it 3 days and have just called me to say they have replaced the gearbox under the used car warranty, the only info they have given me is that 'something' was slipping in the box and it couldn't be repaired.
I pick the car up after the weekend so i will post again next week once i've actually put some decent kms on the thing!

Is this a Hyundai Dealer? Logbook service history? did you test drive it  before the deal? Definitely 3rd to 2nd , not 4th to 3rd?

The "can't be repaired " has me curious. Does it look like the box has been out? If they said it was more economical to swap out the box fair enough but the question is where has this box come from? RECO? Wreck? Ks?

In limp mode which is a mechanical failsafe in these you have 2nd and 3rd available but no electronic shift, you have to use the 2 -3 positions manually on the shifter and it's harsh.

I had the exciting time recently of blowing both the input and output speed sensors on my CRDi 2010 wagon only weeks apart. I did do a post on it..

Mine defaulted to 3rd.

I also found there were fault codes logged which an OBDII scanner can read .

Drove 400k from Townsville to Tinaroo in 3rd :scared:

When the output sensor went I found it went into limp (3rd) straight away on a restart.

When the input failed , it would select 1st after a restart then fail on the shift. I can't remember now if it went to 2nd then failed on third or failed on 2nd.

So reading your story, on the return visit was it a case of failure straightaway as it went to shift or was it normal for a bit then limp mode?

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Gerard, BTW, just for the record, limp home mode limits the car to no more then 3000 rpm (in the diesel anyway) not sure about the petrol versions...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:20:51 by Dazzler »
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for that Gerard, BTW, just for the record, limp home mode linits the car to no more then 3000 rpm (in the diesel anyway) not sure about the petrol versions...

With my Transaxle limp or fail safe mode,there was no RPM limit in my situation. I had full power and RPM.

Maybe there's an engine management fail safe or limp as well. Not something I have experienced much except on a stupid Astra.

Offline Eagle7

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I assumed it was 3rd to 2nd as there was no response  when shifting in to 2nd hence the assumption.
 So I picked the car up Monday 16th and I notice that it sounds a bit rough in 1st gear, certainly doesn't sound like a new gearbox has  been fitted and in all honesty deep down I didn't expect them too.

I've been trying to get hold of someone from the dealership ( yes it's a Hynudai main dealer) who can tell me exactly what was done to the car and no one can be straight with me.
After 8 years of working in dealerships in the UK I now know i'm getting the run around
  • I30SX

Offline Eagle7

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
So after my last post I got fed up of waiting for service dept to call me back. I headed down there and spoke with the workshop supervisor who got the jobsheet up on the computer. It was the valve body that they changed ($3500 part).
I noticed on the way back the gearbox doesn't like being in stop start traffic on the freeway. Its probably done 250kms since the part was fitted so i'll see how she goes over the next week or so.

Thanks for all your help and comments everyone, its much appreciated.

Now I just need to find where I can pick up a Hyundai service history book. The service history is on the system at the dealer and I have copies of the receipts / work done, just don't have a stamped book.

Anyone know any cheap places to get them from?
I ain't paying the price the dealer wants for 24 pages of paper!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:47:04 by Eagle7 »
  • I30SX

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So after my last post I got fed up of waiting for service dept to call me back. I headed down there and spoke with the workshop supervisor who got the jobsheet up on the computer. It was the valve body that they changed ($3500 part).
I noticed on the way back the gearbox doesn't like being in stop start traffic on the freeway. Its probably done 250kms since the part was fitted so i'll see how she goes over the next week or so.

Thanks for all your help and comments everyone, its much appreciated.

Now I just need to find where I can pick up a Hyundai service history book. The service history is on the system at the dealer and I have copies of the receipts / work done, just don't have a stamped book.

Anyone know any cheap places to get them from?
I ain't paying the price the dealer wants for 24 pages of paper!

you know, considering they have the history and the book plus you just purchased the vehicle from them which was defective, I'd think the least they could do is provide that free.

You'd have to wonder if they have all the available resources why they did not have one as it could only enhance it's value.

Maybe a polite letter to Hyundai Australia may persuade them.

$3500, for a VB replacement. Currently there are brand new 4 speed trans on Ebay from a dealer for the same amount to suit TO SUIT HYUNDAI i30:

2L PETROL MY2009 TO 2012

So what happened to not repairable, gearbox replacement?

At least it cost you nothing.

I don't understand what you mean by not liking stop start traffic but Electronic boxes can behave a little weird until the computer relearns shift points but I'm not familiar entirely with these, but more with the mitsubishi 4 speeds.

Offline Eagle7

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
So when the issue occurred I had returned the vehicle to where I took delivery of it which is just a sales dept. Service & parts are a few kms up the road so I had just been dealing with sales which it seems aren't very technical, it seems colour, 4 wheels and a price is their limit (a bit harsh maybe). I worked for VW/Audi for 8 years in the UK with a short stint with Renault & Nissan. I have to admit that the  frontline staff at all those dealerships were very product aware and all service staff were quite technical, something which seems isn't the case here at this Hyundai dealer in WA.
I know my way around an engine but am not the type to strip one down, giving the car a service is as far as i'd go nowadays.

Not liking stop start traffic, it seems like the lower gears are looking for higher revs before changing up, anything up to 3000 for 1st to 2nd but more around 2500-2800.
I'ts sweet once it gets in to 3rd but it did seem a little 'growly' in the higher gears after being up and down the box on the freeway in very busy traffic.I'm sure its as you say its relearning the shift points.
Most of my life i've only driven manuals so this is the first small car with an auto box that i've owned so it may not just be the I30 computer learning here!!

Ref the service book, I may well drop Hyundai Australia a polite note. Thanks again for your comments TW.

• I30SX

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal