i30 Owners Club

1.6CRDI engine knocking noise when warm and accelerating

geminiman · 41 · 16118

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
When accelerating from cold the engine sounds smooth and refined, but when it warms up it I can hear a diesel-type knocking noise up to about 2300 revs, especially in first and second gears. I've taken it to my local Hyundai dealer twice, but on both occasions the noise wasn't there. On one occasion I parked on my drive, switched of the engine and came back 5 minutes later. The knocking noise had mysteriously stopped when I was accelerating. It does seem to be intermittent.  The car is 20 months old (I bought it 2 months ago) and has done 14,000 miles. Any ideas folks?

Your help would be greatly appreciated as this is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise fine car.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi blue drive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What type of acceleration are we talking about, throttle just open and gentle or sporty wider opening throttle :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Hi Phil,when using anything from moderate to sporty acceleration the noise is most noticeable. On really gentle acceleration it sounds ok, only seems to be when I load the engine. It's not obvious from third gear upwards at any revs or throttle setting. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's a hard one to give an opinion on. I don't suppose you could record it on your mobile phone for us to hear next time it occurs. Might be hard to pick up from that though. One of the problems is people have different sensitivities.  What sounds loud or worrying to one may be classed as insignificant to another. Now you are aware of it I can understand it playing on your mind.

I'd just send an email to the dealer and to Hyundai saying you have this intermittent knocking noise which you have reported to the dealer twice and you wanted it noted in your cars records for future reference.  Make sure you get all services done by the book and stamped by a dealer or independent professional.  You have plenty of warranty left.

If it gets worse or you notice a drop in performance go straight back to the dealer.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Diesel engines when under little load and not moving much air make a different noise than when working or cruising. It's a little like the knocking sound found in petrol engines using the wrong octane fuel, however in this circumstance, is perfectly normal. The sound is caused by the complete ignition of the Diesel fuel mixture due to engine compression.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Much of the normal diesel noise will be accentuated by the action of the injectors. The new high pressure Bosch injectors are quite refined. So various driving periods/conditions may result in a more audible diesel noise.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
There are various types of noises..
If you can upload video or sound of this noise someone will clearly say if it is normal or not.

• 1.6crdi

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Hi nzenigma, thanks for your reply. I don't understand why the noise is intermittent, although becoming more frequent, and why it is so refined when cold. Is this normal for this engine?

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Hi Dazzler, I have taken it to the dealer twice and they have recorded both visits. I get frustrated because the dealer sticks it on the diagnostic machine, which shows no errors, but don't do anything else.

Is it possible that the ECU mapping has been corrupted and is causing the problem, or one of the injectors is slighly loose or misaligned. In a former life , I was a computer programmer so I am aware that software is NOT always perfect when diagnosing problems. It wasn't like this when I collected it 2 months ago, only started about 3 weeks ago. Thanks for helping.

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Thanks for the response, guys. I will try to record the knocking when it occurs, which might be problematic due to tyre noise, but I'll give it go. Thanks for the advice, will get back to you soon.

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
I have tried to record the engine noise using my phone, but it just sounds muffled and not loud enough to pick up the knock. The best way I can describe the noise is: on tickover all diesel engines exhibit that typical diesel knock, well that's what my engine sounds like when revving all the way up to about 2500 rpm, and gets worse the hotter the engine becomes. Hope that helps you guys to offer me some advice. Thanks again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

To be honest, you probably should just turn up the stereo and enjoy the car. You have plenty of warranty.

You could be on a hiding to nowhere. I doubt it is a ECU/BCM issue, although I agree software can get corrupted

I wonder if we have any active members nearby (with the diesel) that can take a listen?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The UK is a big place - we would need the OP's location
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The UK is a big place - we would need the OP's location

True! @geminiman

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Only thing that should be activated at 2500rpm is inlet manifold swirl flaps.  Sound may be different if they are partialy blocked or opened all the time.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Thanks to you all for your replies. Good idea Dazzler  :goodjob2:. With that in mind, if there are any active members near Telford in Shropshire I would be happy to meet up.

Diesel1984, is there any way I can check if the swirl flap is opening incorrectly. Would that show on the diagnostic testing at the dealers. Thanks.

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
You can check swirl flaps with any better diagnostic (not with elm 327  :mrgreen:) that have ability to activate bidirectional controls.

As actuator is not vacuum operated you can check it only via OBD2. This actuator is maybe out of range and it only needs calibration.

c/p from manual
FUNCTION AND OPERATION PRINCIPLE
Variable Swirl Control Actuator consists of DC motor and position sensor which detects the position of the swirl valve.
At idle or below 2,500rpm, the swirl valve is closed. This swirl effect increases air flow rate.

• 1.6crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Little mentioned as a problem, but here is an old thread on the topic.
:link: Swirl motor
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Thanks for that nzenigma, I've had a look at the link you kindly enclosed. I shouldn't think that is the problem as I have no warning lights showing, which 'Smiler' reported on his post. Back to the drawing board, I guess!!

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Thanks Diesel1984, great explanation of how the swirl valve works. From the link the nzenigma sent me, it seems that a warning light would come on if that was the problem. Thanks for the explanation, though, I'm learning a lot about my car from you guys. :yahoo:

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
I have the same issues on my Ceed 1.6 CRDi 136. Engine was sounding perfectly in the first 200kms (it was so quiet and refined that i almost thought i got a petrol instead of the diesel), then it started developing an intermittent knock/tapping. No lights, no other symptoms during driving. Only thing is that the exhaust is quite smelly on the cold starts, once at operating temperature it smells normal. Went to the dealer twice, said everything is normal. Also, can't quite get it on video either. Now at almost 7 months of ownership, i learned to live with it. My other car, Peugeot 1.6 BlueHDi 120, doesn't make these kind of noises, nor does the exhaust smell on start-up.  :rolleyes:
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate, almost all excessive diesel noise is caused by over-fuelling. There are a number of reasons for this, we have given  you something to consider. Stay in touch.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:11:55 by nzenigma »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not sure if this has been quoted but interesting to read. :link: 1.6 CRDi Diesel Engine Noisy & Knocking Like A Petrol Engine Pinking ?!

Have some interest myself  in the topic. having 2 i30s, one a CW. Chalk and cheese both in fuel economy and noise at low RPM , light loads.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
tw and I have been having this discussion for a while.
In his case his noisy i30 is also the most fuel hungry.
It also has a new motor, so the original ECU may not have been updated.
again it sounds like over fuelling, but the cost of verifying the problem may be more than just turning the radio volume up.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
tw and I have been having this discussion for a while.
In his case his noisy i30 is also the most fuel hungry.
It also has a new motor, so the original ECU may not have been updated.
again it sounds like over fuelling, but the cost of verifying the problem may be more than just turning the radio volume up.

thank god for a good sound system. Thought I'd have a look at the ECU swap, mission impossible getting to the immobo unit, very disappointed.

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
This is how the area next to the first fuel injector looks like on mine. Is it normal ? The car only has 5800 km.

:link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This is how the area next to the first fuel injector looks like on mine. Is it normal ? The car only has 5800 km.

I hate guessing but I'm thinking not. You have 3 other injectors to compare to. Looking at the colour I'm thinking the injector is not sealing at the head, even that fuel line joint looks moist and black. Gases escaping?

Just another thought, if the rocker cover is black, because I was thinking it looks oily black around that injector, leaky fuel line a possibility?

I'm sure when you take it back under warranty you'll  find out.

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear

I hate guessing but I'm thinking not. You have 3 other injectors to compare to. Looking at the colour I'm thinking the injector is not sealing at the head, even that fuel line joint looks moist and black. Gases escaping?

Just another thought, if the rocker cover is black, because I was thinking it looks oily black around that injector, leaky fuel line a possibility?

Thank you for the insight ! I've started the engine with the negine cover off and there are no obvious signs of gases escaping in the injector area. Also, there is absolutely no smell of fuel in the engine compartment at all. I'll check more closely the other injectors, but this definitely stands out. Also i will check the other diesel i have from Peugeot and see how the area around injectors looks like. I've showed the photo to the dealer as well and they said to come for a check as they can't identify from the photo if it's fuel or oil.

Alex
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Thank you for the insight ! I've started the engine with the negine cover off and there are no obvious signs of gases escaping in the injector area. Also, there is absolutely no smell of fuel in the engine compartment at all. I'll check more closely the other injectors, but this definitely stands out. Also i will check the other diesel i have from Peugeot and see how the area around injectors looks like. I've showed the photo to the dealer as well and they said to come for a check as they can't identify from the photo if it's fuel or oil.

Alex
best option, it is next to the filler so could be spilt oil?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Not sure if this has been quoted but interesting to read. :link: 1.6 CRDi Diesel Engine Noisy & Knocking Like A Petrol Engine Pinking ?!

Have some interest myself  in the topic. having 2 i30s, one a CW. Chalk and cheese both in fuel economy and noise at low RPM , light loads.

Gerard, in the topic you refer to suggestions of fuel quality were raised but did not apply in that case; but some other members claimed to have improvement after the ECU was updated/flashed.
The problem was eventually solved:

"It's fixed! I had it in to the local Hyundai dealer on Tuesday and they test drove the car and confirmed the knocking / noise. They looked the issue up on the Hyundai database of known faults and found a technical service bulletin covering this exact problem! They replaced the injectors and now the car is back to its old smooth & quiet self! "
[/i]
The author later made it clear that probably only faulty injector(s) were replaced.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal