i30 Owners Club

Excessive fuel use?

Jeffie · 4 · 2311

Offline Jeffie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi, new here :)

I'm sitting on about 8.6L/100km in my GD tourer CRDI... What am I doing wrong??

Just picked up the 2013 car 2nd hand with 95k kms on the clock - auto.
  • 2013 I30 GD CRDI tourer

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi, new here :)

I'm sitting on about 8.6L/100km in my GD tourer CRDI... What am I doing wrong??

Just picked up the 2013 car 2nd hand with 95k kms on the clock - auto.
You might not be doing anything wrong, an auto will always use more fuel and then there is your driving style and the whereabouts you are driving...hwy-city-hills :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Wonder if you disconnect the battery for 1 hour to reset ecu then the computer will start from zero and only have your driving style
Worth a try

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to our friendly little club/forum Jeff.

When you say "just picked up" how many kilometres have you actually done yourself? Have you reset your trip computer (shouldn't have to disconnect battery to do this) The trip computer is only a rough indication anyway and as Craig has suggested 8.6 l/100 kms would not be considered bad for mainly short trips in an urban environment (for example)

The auto does obviously play a negative role in fuel economy, but so does hilly terrain, stop start traffic and short trips. Checking on carsales, the ADR figures (which are always optimistic) say 4.5 for "rural" and 7.5 for "urban" which is a wide variation compared to a lot of other cars. Driving style also plays a part. Is this your first diesel? Use the torque, not the revs and try and drive smoothly anticipating the traffic to reduce excessive braking and acceleration where you can.   

There are heaps of discussions on here about this very topic and they all say much the same thing. The only way to get a true picture of your economy is to brim your tank, use a good proportion of the fuel then brim it again and do the calculations against distance covered. Doing this several times over weeks or even months, depending on how much driving you do will eventually give you a fairly accurate picture of your true economy.

The variation in feedback from owners on here (particularly for the Autos) is fairly varied. We ave a quite a few that do long road trips and the like that have boasted of low 5's or better and others who do mostly short stop start city commutes that grumble when they use close to twice that. Hope this helps a bit anyway.

Feel free to either browse the appropriate sections of the forum or use the search function to find more info or appropriate threads.  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal