i30 Owners Club

Rooftop camper?

zatos99 · 10 · 6133

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi everyone,
Please don't shut my dreams down straight away, I've always wanted to do this, but what would be the issues with mounting a rooftop camper on top of my 2009 diesel cw? I know the roof capacity in the manual is at 75kg, but I'm going to hope that this is a moving loaded value (carrying a load).
Apart from the obvious that it will look silly on such a low car, what other issues might I have?
Open to all discussion,
Cheers, zatos99
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the reply John.
Perhaps a similar version of the link you posted, but obviously cheaper and a little less 'dicky' looking (imo). I ask because I'm currently camped next to a suburu Forester with a rooftop setup, which I know it's bigger than an i30cw, but closer to my car than a ute. It looks beautiful, and it would suit my lifestyle.
Something like this maybe: :link: Adventure Kings Roof Top Tent WEEKENDER , 4WD & Outdoor Products - Australia
Cheers
Zatos99
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That looks good. I see you are asking if when stationary does the 75kg roof load still apply, interesting question and hopefully some one with more knowledge can answer that . Would be magic if it can be done to have a roof top tent.  I reckon one folded down would look okay. Might be a problem fixing the base rack on though.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
* Shambles searches for videos of cars being stolen while their owners slept in the roof

Gotta say, I like the idea of stopping anywhere and bunking up.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi Shambles,
That's why I wanna know what the capacities are of my seemingly indestructible i30 are! Being able to rock up, open the roof top, lock the car and sleep would be amazing! Currently I either have to set up my swag, or hammock, which are fine, but it would be pretty cool to roof camp.
Anyone else got input?
Cheers
Zatos99
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
* Shambles searches for videos of cars being stolen while their owners slept in the roof

I would like to be the policeman on the end of a phone that receives a call saying I'm travelling in an southerly direction on a motorway at a speed of 80km  in a tent. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

I would like to be the policeman on the end of a phone that receives a call saying I'm travelling in an southerly direction on a motorway at a speed of 80km  in a tent. :snigger:

Hahah. Luckily I have a manual! It seems to be a high tech security feature these days.
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Once a platform is installed onto the roof racks then it would be probably supportive enough, the only issue I think would be the plastic mounts to your roof rails :undecided:

Another thing to mention is the rails only say 75kg's though that might be because the Hyundai specifications saying that anything over that can void the structural integrity of the roof :undecided:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 15:39:44 by CraigB »

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi Craig,
I understand what you're saying, but I have loaded the roof with alot more than 75kgs before with no apparent failure. Ill wait for a few more responses and then I might give it a go. If it doesn't work I can just use it later on my future ute.
Cheers
Zatos99
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal