i30 Owners Club

Initial feedback on brand new i30 PD SR (Further Updated)

Dazzler · 108 · 41125

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ok, so I've done about 60 kms since picking our new DCT PD i30 SR up on Friday. (so showing nearly 100kms on the clock)

Normally I do about 1000kms in the first week, but have all sorts of other things happening at the moment.

So in no particular order.

- Already had one very positive comment about the styling (see separate thread here) :link: Dazzler family now has two i30's

- Valve caps on alloy wheels have been colour coded to the silver alloys (not black or stainless) - nice touch.

- LED light comes on behind front two door handles when you approach the car with a proximity key in your pocket!  :eek:

- Complimentary OBD Dongle in glove box for use with Hyundai smart phone Monitoring App. Got to set up a profile via My Hyundai on their website before can use it, but will be very handy!

- Tested Hands free phone yesterday. Easy to pair and quick to load contacts and nice and clear. Not getting messages up at this stage but haven't tried Android Auto yet.

- As I've mentioned elsewhere, audio quality seem excellent for a standard 6 speaker stereo. I think all PD i30's get the same setup.

- Also as mentioned elsewhere, rear (reverse) camera image quality is only adequate. Not as good as some I've had.  A bit grainy, but still useable in low light.

- GPS seems good so far with more verbal info related to road conditions/school zones etc.. than my previous Calais one. I think it might be the same maps as the Calais though as some speed limits haven't been updated yet and voice (Karen?) seems the same as Calais - I quite like "Karen" we go back a long way...  :snigger:

- Standard sheep skin seat covers from Supercheap (About $300 RRP/ $229 on special) don't fit the deep bucket seats in the SR very well, so I'm going to try and source some custom made ones.

- Tyre noise from the low profile Hankooks on the SR is about the same as my Calais which also had wide low profile tyres (245 V 225 on SR) Unfortunately, they have recently resurfaced several roads in our area with grippy but noisy course bitumen.
The noise is a slightly different tone to the Calais.

- On normal and smooth bitumen the SR appears quieter than the Calais. Even with the weather shields/style visors on all 4 doors the wind noise level is amazingly low. I tend to believe the claims that the new PD has very low drag coefficient. Engine noise is also low but when you do hear it, sounds a lot nicer than the new Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo with CVT.

- I think I can live with the space saver spare. When I drop the boot floor to the lower setting (as I can with a space saver) the boot becomes truly cavernous for a relatively small hatchback. Important consideration for me. Already carted a large Garage sale sign in the back (with a big tarp under it)  :whistler: Think I might get a tyre repair sealant can as a second back up (like this) for if I get a standard puncture a long way from home where the 80km space saver spare would not be convenient.
:link: SCA Tyre Sealant - Quick Fix, 350g - Supercheap Auto
@Surferdude Do these stuff the Tyre (or are they a good alternative as a 2nd back up?)

- Lastly (for now) I'll just mention one positive/ negative... New car smell. Love the new car smell even though the vapours aren't supposed to be healthy, but also getting that hot exhaust/ slight burning smell when pull up in garage, which "someone" is complaining about.  :evil:

Oh, and interestingly it was recommended that I use 98, even though Hyundai say it will run on 91.  :evil:
Those that know me well (shopper docket king) will know that I won't like paying something like 17c per litre extra for my fuel! I might do one in each 3 or 4 tanks.  :undecided:

Will add more feedback to this thread as I go.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent :goodjob:

Try and grab some "new car spray" to keep the feeling alive :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent :goodjob:

Try and grab some "new car spray" to keep the feeling alive :D

I better get some for the garage..  :evil: :snigger:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Nice report Dazz.
Ask your local Devonport tyre contacts what they think of the sealant.
The key is how easy it is to remove from the tyre when you bring it in for a proper repair.  :fum:
It isn't.
And if you leave it in there it will gradually break down the inner liner (bye bye tubeless).
In wheels with tubes fitted, after a few weeks I was able to tear the tube in half with my bare hands.
They may have some new compounds these days but I'd be wary of any claimant they make as to compatibility with rubber. They used to make those same claims years ago.  :crazy1:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Trev, the way I see it, one of these for $17 is a nice cheap insurance policy to have with the space saver spare. I have lost quite a bit of strength in my arms (due to PD) so undoing wheel nuts on the side of the road could be an issue even with a 4 way wheel brace that I stow... I realise I've also got Road side assistance but that can take hours!

After your feedback, it would only be used as a last resort. Punctures are hopefully a fairly rare event these days..

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
" Valve caps on alloy wheels have been colour coded to the silver alloys (not black or stainless) - nice touch."

Just a point I found with these, bought some cheapie coloured eBay ones for our "Clean Blue" premy, often find them missing so I guess others find them attractive.
Luckily I got a few packets @ the time so the cost replacing them isn't too bad.
Wouldn't like to be replacing with original one's cost though !!!
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline abl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Dazz,
I picked up my new i30 on Friday too, but due to circumstances beyond my control I've only driven it from the dealer to the office (about 3 km) and it's still there, (bit of a family emergency Friday afternoon and I had to leave the car at work). Hopefully I can get a lift back to work today to collect it and get to know my new toy.

I was glad to hear the boot drops down, as when I ask the dealer how to do that he said it doesn't in the SR. I was a little peeved about this because I was under the impression that it did, which it why there is a space saver spare instead of a full size.

The dealer recommended I use 95, even though it will run on E10 said I would get much better fuel economy and performance out of 95, he also specifically said there was no need for 98. I'm not sure how I will tackle his advice yet, might alternate.

A big thank you to all on the i30 owners forum. I joined a few months after deciding to wait for the new model i30 to launch before making my final decision on a new car. Having been stung on the out of warranty repair costs of a VW Golf , the lure of a 5 year warranty was what initially got my attention but I wanted some of the newer safety features on offer, which I was hoping would show up in the new range (and did). So anyway from the sidelines and not really being an official i30 owner or knowing much about cars, I devoured all the informative posts and comments here in the lead up to my decision to become an official i30 owner.

I'm sure I will have a question or two on how things work, hopefully not too many (after having a 'woman's look' through the manual).

Cheers  :)
  • SR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car.

Just a point on the fuel for both you and Dazz. At the national dealer launch in Sydney, all the technical people were in agreement that the car is designed for and will run best on 91 octane fuel or E10. They were clear there was no need for 95 or 98.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi abl and  :welcumwagon:

Congrats on the new SR. Hope the family emergency wasn't too serious and got sorted ok.

I'm still learning, there sure are a lot of features. I'm actually going to have a closer look at the books including the separate Navigation one. Something I never normally have to do.

Yes, fairly easy to slot the boot floor into the lower slot. You gain an extra (estimated) depth of about 3 inches which equates to a fair few extra litres of space. There's a small flap at the front of the boot which you need to flip up to get the base to slip in properly.

Had a mixed day with the car today.

+ Very positive comments from all my friends about the colour (they love the Fiery Red) It looks more burgundy coloured than in most online pictures.  Got some positive comments about the styling and most females (except Trish) seem to like the interior - She is softening though.

- Don't know if it was the loop I chose this afternoon, but I found the tyre noise pretty bad today. It is a harsher noise than my Calais. I guess that was a luxury car.

- Incoming phone calls come through via Bluetooth nice and clear and easy to answer them, but when you press the voice command button it says something about using android auto and connect your phone via the USB port.

That seems a backward step! I'm used to just keeping my Phone in my pocket (like my proximity key)

Don't think I'll be connecting my phone via a cable for a trip to the shops. A bit different if doing longer trips (say an hour or longer) seems weird you can charge wirelessly but have to plug it in to make outgoing voice calls.  :fum:

I assume I don't need a proprietary cable, hopefully just a USB to Micro USB (which I have plenty of.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
For any Android Auto features to work you will need the phone plugged in by the cable.

You'll also need to use a good quality cable. If you use a cheapy you'll most likely find it disconnects randomly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for that mate. I haven't got my cables sorted in order of cost, but I'll throw a couple in the car in case the first is dodgy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok, now done 260 odd kilometres of very mixed driving..

Getting very attached to my new SR. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

My car was delivered with over 40 Psi in all 4 tyres (didn't realise for a day or two) When I realised after a day or two I dropped them down a bit (but not enough)

When I mentioned to a car nut friend the tyre noise was worse than I remembered in my test drives he suggested I double check my pressures. they were still around 40 Psi  :head_butt:

He said if I reduced them to mid thirties it would reduce tyre noise and obviously improve the ride. Does the tyre noise thing sound right to you Trevor @Surferdude

I reduced them to 36 psi and as expected the ride is better and the road noise seems better too! He suggested it is a bit of a paradox with tyre roar being more noticeable in quiet cars and he could be right as the SR is very quiet as far as engine and wind noise goes.

Other Feedback..

Love the rear tail lights (they look great at night) Photo doesn't do them justice.

The engine seems to be freeing up now. I tried Eco mode which felt a bit sluggish, then Sport mode (very peppy) Find normal default mode fine for everyday driving. Great car to zip around our medium side country "town" - Population of 30,000.

Much easier to drive than the big Calais which needed to be man-handled around town a bit.

The Autonomous cruise is awesome. I experimented with it a few times (and the lane keep assist) and you can almost drive hands and feet free if you latch on to a good steady driver ahead!

Trip computer says first 260 kms average is 7.6 L/100kms which is pretty good considering a lot of city commuting so far.

More to come.

Did I tell you it is a great car!  :mrgreen:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Lane keep will deactivate if it detects you've taken you hands off the steering wheel.
I've fallen in love with them and I've only done 2km in an active and about 6km in an SR lol.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline abl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for the welcome,

I managed to retrieve my car late yesterday afternoon. We are slowly getting acquainted and I am totally loving the driving experience. So far it's only city driving but it's just a delight to drive,  the hills are effortless,  tight turns are smooth, even Sydney's morning peak hour was no problem, using the auto hold is an easy way to break the habit of continually creeping along in traffic (I've read all that stop start creeping is not the way to drive a DCT).

After collecting the car yesterday, I was quite disturbed by the noise, I remember in the test drive commenting how road noise wasn't an issue, it was very quiet. Tonight it was less noticeable but I think it's probably because I'm just getting used to it  :undecided:. I did spend 30 mins this evening playing with a few things and noticed my tyre pressure was set to 40/ 41 . I asked on delivery what it should be and the dealer suggested around 34, I was going to call him tomorrow but now I think I'll just reduce it and see if the noise improves.

Have to agree Dazz, that new car feeling is intoxicating.  :happydance:
  • SR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dazz, as you would know, everything about tyres is a compromise.
Dropping the pressure will improve the ride but increase tread wear (minimally, depending on how low you go).
Having said all that, your area does not IIRC, have heaps of roundabouts so the wear effect will be less.
To complicate the issue, different tread patterns and different profiles can react differently to pressure changes.
I wouldn't go under 36 but just experiment until you find a happy medium..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great to hear abl. Thanks Trev, will do.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Great reviews Dazz, it sounds like a really good drivers car :goodjob: next time we're back over there I'll have to have a drive :mrgreen: though you probably would have sold it by then :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:D as if...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some Feedback on the Starter Button...

The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel. It's hard to keep up, but my Holden Calais had it on the R/H side and I think both my Hybrid Camry's starters were on the left. All well hidden by the wheel.

I reckon they should put them closer to the centre of the dash (or even right in the centre)

Easier to see/use and look sporty too, I reckon.  :cool:

I am sure a few sportier cars have this but not sure which ones.  :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel. It's hard to keep up, but my Holden Calais had it on the R/H side and I think both my Hybrid Camry's starters were on the left. All well hidden by the wheel.

I reckon they should put them closer to the centre of the dash (or even right in the centre)

My GT had it to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My GT had it to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.

Can you easily see it from your normal driving position or do you have to hunt for it?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some more positive feedback today.

Rain sensing wipers are spot on. My Calais ones were a bit lazy to start, but like everything else on my new SR these ones work seamlessly.

The Autonomous cruise has another benefit too that I confirmed today. It is quite good at stopping "runaway" down hills when the cruise is set. Tested in on a couple of reasonable down hill runs, set to 60 kph and when it got to 62 kph I could feel the car auto braking to stop it going any faster. My Calais was ok holding speed at 110kph down hills but not at 60.   :victory:

Got the Auto link App working too.  :goodjob: Still learning how to use it though.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:lol: :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quote from: Dazzler
The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel.

That's the other module Dazz is thinking of installing :whistler: :D

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
After owning my GD i30 for three years I still occasionally try to find the keys on the side of the column to turn it off.  :rolleyes:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

After owning my GD i30 for three years I still occasionally try to find the keys on the side of the column to turn it off.  :rolleyes:

I'm on my 4th car with a starter button, but get confused which side it's on!

Also just get used to using a key with a rental car then back to my starter button!  :head_butt:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal