i30 Owners Club

Initial feedback on brand new i30 PD SR (Further Updated)

Dazzler · 108 · 41122

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Sounds great. Unfortunately I dont think I will be getting another new car in my lifetime but having said that I am so grateful to have my Gd. Seeing I have only done 12000 km in just over three years I am hoping this car will last me a long time. Love your new car though Dazz. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds great. Unfortunately I dont think I will be getting another new car in my lifetime but having said that I am so grateful to have my Gd. Seeing I have only done 12000 km in just over three years I am hoping this car will last me a long time. Love your new car though Dazz. :goodjob2:

Thanks John,

Trish has only done about 20K in almost 3 years and she likes her GD too..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Dazzler how nice it must be in the new i30 SR - Congrats !
You understandably draw the comparisons with your Calais - I also did this for a time after down sizing from an aged (1996) Ford Futura Station Wagon. I think it is fair to say we both have found our i30s to each be a vehicle very fit for purpose finding the downsize a good thing.

To be fair, a Sonata would have been a closer comparison to the Calais - I'm sure it would delight even more so than the your i30 SR.

While my GD SR Premium is loaded with kit, the PD SR Premium is overflowing! The increase in safety & luxury from GD to PD is amazing & tops that of the transition from FD to GD.
One journalist nails this by commenting that Hyundai could justifiably charge more for the latest SR Premium - such is the value.

Over the last 8 months I have needed to use a number of different makes & models for work in Australia & New Zealand doing over 20,000km. I realise that Hyundai just seems to have their vehicles far more 'sorted' than the rest.
The most memorable was an i40 sedan I almost circumnavigated Tasmania in - I drove it like I stole it & had an absolute ball. As much as I love my GD SR Premium, I seriously didn't want to give the i40 back. It really was a fine car to drive & I loved it - it was a poverty pack hire car too!!

My circumstances don't warrant an update to a PD. I only use mine on the occasional but very enjoyable private long road trips, (Sydney to Cairns & Sydney to Snowy Mountains) as the majority of my time is spent in a company car (now 2017 Kia Cerato sedan base model). However, I seriously would love to own the new PD i30 SR Premium though :)
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L GDI, Auto, SR Premium, Creamy White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler how nice it must be in the new i30 SR - Congrats !
You understandably draw the comparisons with your Calais - I also did this for a time after down sizing from an aged (1996) Ford Futura Station Wagon. I think it is fair to say we both have found our i30s to each be a vehicle very fit for purpose finding the downsize a good thing.

To be fair, a Sonata would have been a closer comparison to the Calais - I'm sure it would delight even more so than the your i30 SR.

While my GD SR Premium is loaded with kit, the PD SR Premium is overflowing! The increase in safety & luxury from GD to PD is amazing & tops that of the transition from FD to GD.
One journalist nails this by commenting that Hyundai could justifiably charge more for the latest SR Premium - such is the value.

Over the last 8 months I have needed to use a number of different makes & models for work in Australia & New Zealand doing over 20,000km. I realise that Hyundai just seems to have their vehicles far more 'sorted' than the rest.
The most memorable was an i40 sedan I almost circumnavigated Tasmania in - I drove it like I stole it & had an absolute ball. As much as I love my GD SR Premium, I seriously didn't want to give the i40 back. It really was a fine car to drive & I loved it - it was a poverty pack hire car too!!

My circumstances don't warrant an update to a PD. I only use mine on the occasional but very enjoyable private long road trips, (Sydney to Cairns & Sydney to Snowy Mountains) as the majority of my time is spent in a company car (now 2017 Kia Cerato sedan base model). However, I seriously would love to own the new PD i30 SR Premium though :)
Thanks edagrade,

I am also a big fan of the i40 particular the diesel tourer. Unfortunately they don't discount those much if at all. The model with all the bells and whistles is pretty exy :Pout: I love the fact it has a range of up to 1400 kilometres. I don't think they have ever put my new favourite feature (smart/autonomous cruise) in the i40 or Sonata. Sonata is thirstier than my Calais!

Member @beerman loves his base model i40..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just a couple of recent photos while she's reasonably clean (still stock standard).

Not many on the road yet, although did park near a White SR Premium in Ulverstone yesterday and put a club card in their driver's window rubber...  :victory:

This is roughly how she'll look if I get my current plates updated to White on Black (A$145)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Just done 1050kms in a month, and SR went for its first free complimentary service on Saturday.
I was told by Hyundai service  :phone1: to be there at 8am and I will be done first as no oil change, just checks and wash.
On arrival at 8am & I was then told there are 3 customers in front of me, and car wont be ready until 11am. WTF.  :evil:
Around 2 hours later they said it was ready. All they did was plug in OBD diagnostics & fill out log book, not washed & not impressed. even free coffee was crap :mad:

I expected better, especially as ordered floor mats & dash mat which are not secured. I used to take my veloster to John Hughes where they do try it on a bit but they let you know what they are doing, drop you off at work, wash your car and make the customer feel important.

Important lesson in life choosing one Hyundai dealer over 45 kms away from one 18 kms away to save $100 is not always worth it. Luckily i can now take my prized SR to John Hughes from now on. Whinge over  :crazy1: 
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a bit disappointing Scott.. I got a loan car when they did my free service and VIP treatment from the sales staff, but my wash was crap!

When they sent me a text what will you rate us out of 10.. I said 10 (because of the sales staff) but also said that sometimes car wash is a joke and that I think this time someone just threw a bucket of dirty water at my car (I didn't get an apologetic reply)

Unfortunately no choice of dealer in Tassie (All 5 outlets statewide are owned by the same crowd) :undecided:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Definitely will not let Hyundai dealer wash my car. Saw the car wash guy drop the shammy in the dirt  and pick it up and start using it on some other poor persons new car  :eek:.  A positive no thankyou to the service dept when they ask me do I want the car washed.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Definitely will not let Hyundai dealer wash my car. Saw the car wash guy drop the shammy in the dirt  and pick it up and start using it on some other poor persons new car  :eek:.  A positive no thankyou to the service dept when they ask me do I want the car washed.
I think I'll say the same in future. I think they must have two different guys, as sometimes they come back sparkling! :crazy1:

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
My dealer uses a dreaded machine type car wash.
I politely request they do not put my car through it !

Ironically, when purchasing my car I was offered the horrendously expensive 'paint protection' product. It was said to resist birds tagging the paint, paint damage from 'cheap' car wash products & damage from mechanical car wash machines lol.
I was strongly advised not to use car wash machines due to the damage they may cause... but the very same dealer (& many others) use car wash machines & 'cheap' car wash products. Go figure!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My dealer uses a dreaded machine type car wash.
I politely request they do not put my car through it !

Ironically, when purchasing my car I was offered the horrendously expensive 'paint protection' product. It was said to resist birds tagging the paint, paint damage from 'cheap' car wash products & damage from mechanical car wash machines lol.
I was strongly advised not to use car wash machines due to the damage they may cause... but the very same dealer (& many others) use car wash machines & 'cheap' car wash products. Go figure!

Yes, who would have thought a car dealer would speak with a forked tongue!  :snigger:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
following on from my crap first service, Hyundai service manager phones me up yesterday to ask if i was happy. Haha. That would be No.
I explained about the timing issue with staff telling me different times car would be ready, no wash, and that on delivery, the rego plates had no frames so they just rattle with loose bolts, dash mat not velcroed down, or floor carpets not clipped in. Sorry Hyundai this sucks.

Best bit was when service manager said they will try to do better next time at 10,000kms. I said not unless its free, there wont be a next time  :p

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

following on from my crap first service, Hyundai service manager phones me up yesterday to ask if i was happy. Haha. That would be No.
I explained about the timing issue with staff telling me different times car would be ready, no wash, and that on delivery, the rego plates had no frames so they just rattle with loose bolts, dash mat not velcroed down, or floor carpets not clipped in. Sorry Hyundai this sucks.

Best bit was when service manager said they will try to do better next time at 10,000kms. I said not unless its free, there wont be a next time  :p

What did he say to that!  :whistler:

Interestingly my Mats were clipped down but my Dash mat is not velcroed. I have plenty of Velcro but it doesn't seem to move around so I haven't bothered. I supplied my own surrounds as the dealer ones usually have advertising on them.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

What did he say to that!  :whistler:

Interestingly my Mats were clipped down but my Dash mat is not velcroed. I have plenty of Velcro but it doesn't seem to move around so I haven't bothered. I supplied my own surrounds as the dealer ones usually have advertising on them.

Hi Dazz, still awaiting a reply on my next free service  :phone1: as for surrounds i dont want to advertise this dealer, too embarrassed.

A lady in our office has subsequently told me she had extremely bad dealings with this dealer a few years before, she had a demo in top of the range i45 with reversing camera, premium sound system, etc, liked it and and ordered in metallic black. it was delivered in blue, which is non black, and then had a further month delay before they supplied a different model without reversing camera, & basic sound system. at least it was black  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok, so I had to slip through to Launceston by myself yesterday. SWMBO wasn't well, so I took the opportunity to take the long road there. This road has some Targa Tasmania type roads which I am not allowed to enjoy if the "boss" is onboard... Most of this road (known as the "Frankford highway") has 100 kph limit even though there are some tight winding sections.

The SR proved to have more grip than my driving skills could use. I had an older 5 series BMW come flying up behind me as I arrived at some tight winding uphill sections, so  I hung on and decided to have some fun. Without breaking any speed limits (much) I left the person quite some way behind. When we got to straight road again they caught up and made a point of zooming past at probably 130kph.. I was happy to stay around the 100 mark.

The SR (in particular ) is very stable and confidence inspiring on these sort of roads with very little body roll great steering feel and a very positive feel to the brake pedal.

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Thanks for sharing Dazzler.
Reminds me of fanging the i40 hire car from Hobart to Burnie via Queenstown, Zeehan & Tullah. Push it "as hard as" & it just kept putting a smile on my face. What a well sorted car!
I can say the same for my GD i30 also !

Would love try the new SR series :-)

I wonder what Hertz will offer me when in Tasmania mid Sept ??
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:12:19 by edagrade »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for sharing Dazzler.
Reminds me of fanging the i40 hire car from Hobart to Burnie via Queenstown, Zeehan & Tullah. Push it "as hard as" & it just kept putting a smile on my face. What a well sorted car!
I can say the same for my GD i30 also !

Would love try the new SR series :-)

I wonder what Hertz will offer me when in Tasmania mid Sept ??

Cheers... :drinks: Look forward to seeing  :needspecscleaning: what you end up with.  :Cuppa:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok, so I've done 1900 kilometres in the last 10 days or so on a road trip around Eastern Victoria. Will probably knock that up to 2500 by the time I get home late on Saturday. By then she will be due for her 1st proper service (10,000 kms)

Only fault so far has been a couple of glitches with the Blind Spot Monitor. Very occasionally, it has come up randomly with the message "Blind spot monitoring disabled,  radar blocked" It resets when I next start the car.

Since I reduced cold tyre pressures to 34 PSI (around 37 warm) the road noise has only been an issue on the really coarse bitumen surfaces which are few and far between on this trip.

Because most areas have been flater than Tasmania and maximum speed limits are generally 80-100 instead of 110, economy has been better. I have been averaging around 7.5 l/100kms in Tassie, but seeing under 7.0 sometimes over here. It did go up over 8 climbing over Mount Hotham and engine braking down the other side. Despite not riding the brakes more than I had to they certainly smell pretty strongly when they get hot, but no sign of any fade.

Followed a spiritedly driven i30 CRDi (FD) model for much of the last 6 days (travelling with a former club member) and the little petrol turbo has gobbled up the hills just as well as the diesel although it did use considerably more fuel. With that strong torque figure of 265 nm from 1500-4500 rpm the extra weight of 4 adults and/or hefty luggage doesn't seem to affect performance at all.

Only downside compared to Calais on this trip is can only fit our four cases in the boot not all the other bits and pieces, which are ending up on the floor behind the front seats.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal