i30 Owners Club

Upgrading GD-02 to GD-03

Badcop · 21 · 7842

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Following on from :link: Upgrade GD-02 to GD-03

So I bought my daughter a mint 2015 i30 (to replace her old 2009 i30) but like a few was keen to get the carplay/android auto version. Unfortunately it was an early 2015 so had the GD-02 head unit. Read through numerous posts and considered an aftermarket option but as a user of android auto in my 2016 Tucson have been really impressed with how it functions. So for all those considering an OEM option here is what I have done. For the record I an reasonably capable engineer but this task is easy for anyone.

Firstly found a late 2015 at a wreckers (shout out to Delta Wreckers in Brisbane, highly recommended for price and customer service) and confirmed it was the GD-03 head unit. Removal is easy as shown by a couple of Utube videos if you google it.

IMPORTANT - REMOVAL
As well as the actual head unit you will need to also remove the USB lead and the AUX/USB connection point (see photos). The USB lead can just be separated from the wiring loom if you also remove the aircon controls (also shown in Utube video maybe someone could add a link to a good version). You will need the whole lead (see photo). The other set of wires goes to a separate connector on the AUX/USB connector point. If you want a full conversion make sure you also retrieve this connector with about 3 or 4 inches of wiring ie. cut the wiring.

Removing the AUX/USB connection point requires you to push in lugs on each side and it if you push from the rear will simply pop out.

FITTING
To confirm I have a June 2015 model that had a GD-02 radio so all I can say is that for me this was a perfect swap which fitted in with existing facia/aircon control facia etc.

Initially I have only connected the USB cable to the connection point as I have not sourced a wiring schematic to allow me to match the new wiring of the AUX connector to the existing wiring. Colours don't match and I think I have an extra wire (possibly speed vs volume control). Daughter doesnt use AUX so I might not even bother. So to confirm with just the USB cable connected I have full functionality of USB/carplay/android auto.

As a footnote the head unit I got was $180 including all leads etc. It didnt have the latest firmware update which I was able to download and subsequently upload to the new head unit with the need for a visit to Hyundai (google it and find the cartronics link)

PHOTOS
Note the separate USB connection point on the head unit.
Note the pencil pointing out the lug on one side of the AUX/USB connection point.

Hope I covered everything but pop a reply on if you have any questions.

images from up
  • 2015 GD3 Series II Active X 5 door hatch auto white

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Further to my post regarding the upgrade I did when I was looking for a GD-03 head unit a couple of wreckers in the Melbourne area had late 2015 and 2016 i30s. I was quoted $300 inc. postage by one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: and  :ta:

For a brilliant 1st post. That will be a big help to some of our members.

Appreciate you going to the trouble of posting photos, etc...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
From a few PMs I need to clarify a few things I think regarding initial post. Question has been if I just get a GD03 head unit can I simply modify the existing wiring. Honest answer is I dont know for sure but I would have to say probably not (if someone has I will humbly bow to their experience). I'm a great believer that design engineers are not stupid and if when putting together the GD03 they could of utilised  what was already being used they would have. What they have used is a completely separate cable for the USB data transfer, a completely different female connection point for the USB cable on the head unit itself and a completely different female connection point on the AUX/USB caddy. To confirm if you have a GD01 or GD02 head unit the two main wiring connections to the head unit will fit. But where the USB pins were part of the B connector on the GD01 and GD02, on the GD03 the pins are no longer used. I think they might have needed to upgrade the wiring for the extra data required to run carplay/android auto hence the new connection and new lead separating the USB side of the unit. Also on the back of the USB/AUX caddy the female connection is completely different. With the uprade to the GD03 they also put a separate female connection for the USB and a smaller female connection point for the AUX. Your existing plug will not fit.

To summarize, if you get and a GD03 head unit and simply swap it from the GD01 or GD02 you will have wasted your time. You will not have any USB connectivity and hence no carplay/android auto. It is essential to get the new USB lead and new AUX/USB caddy to complete the swap.

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
wanting to do this. one thing that i am curious about. Does the reverse camera work perfectly still, and have you come across any issues as of yet with the new head unit?
  • Hyundai i30 Active X 2015

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I took out the GD02 radio that had OEM reverse camera as per standard spec on my i30. Swapped it over with the GD03 as per my post and reverse camera still works perfect. As I've said before; this is a really simple swap. No issues so far but I have still not bothered trying to connect the AUX. When you have USB and play spotify/pandora through the android auto cant really see the need for aux.

Offline Darkhorse

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Badcop - thanks for your PM and post.

Ive been trying to source a GD-03 as a replacement for my GD-02 in my 2015 i30. Best price Ive managed to get so far is AUD$300 + postage so going to hangout to see if I can get one for around $200.

I do have a few questions based on your comment. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to consider.

To summarize, if you get and a GD03 head unit and simply swap it from the GD01 or GD02 you will have wasted your time. You will not have any USB connectivity and hence no carplay/android auto. It is essential to get the new USB lead and new AUX/USB caddy to complete the swap.

* USB - You mention new USB lead and new AUX/USB caddy are needed.
Did you order these separately or did they come with the head unit?
Is the AUX/USB caddy the same size as the one which comes with the GD-02?

*Carplay / Android
Do you need to plug your phone into the USB port on the console or can you simply connect via Bluetooth?

*GPS
Does the GPS work on your GD-03?
Does the headunit need a separate GPS aerial / device for it to work?

*Steering Controls
Do the existing controls work with CarPlay / Android?
  • i30 2015

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Darkhorse, I'll answer your queries in order.

provided you get the right unit and they include the lead and USB/AUX port (as per my photos) $300 is still not a bad price. I heard a new unit from Hyundai would be $2500 just to put it in perspective. I did prefer getting from a wreckers just because I was able to double check the condition of everything.

I think you will need to specify that you want the caddy AND lead; I don't think they will send it automatically with the head unit. Again why I was keen to physically remove it from the wrecked i30 myself.

For android auto to work it needs to be connected to the usb, hence why you need the cable and caddy. I believe carplay is the same. I have a March 2015 i30 and the new usb caddy fitted perfectly, same size, same shape, same fixing method.

As far as the GPS it might be worth googling android auto so you can see what you are getting. AA uses google maps off your phone but shows the map and route on the 7'' stereo screen and gives directions over the stereo slightly muting the music for a second. Because it uses your phone there is no requirement to upgrade maps etc. in the head unit. It can also be voice activated; simply press the voice button and say "navigate to ......." and away you go. This is in my daughters car and it has negated any need for her to touch her phone. Press voice then, play music, send a text, read a text (it reads it out to you). Its all verbal other than the voice button which I think is a great option for those who have to have the phone in the car. Once you plug the phone it to the usb it automatically connects AA after a few seconds and kills the phones touch screen and display so no need to even look at it.   

Offline Darkhorse

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the updated info @Badcop

you will need to specify that you want the caddy AND lead

* When you say 'caddy', are you referring to the USB/AUX port, or is this something different?

* GPS - does the GD-03 have GPS as default without using AA / Carplay?
  • i30 2015

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I saw someone earlier call it a caddy so ran with the description but yes its the AUX/USB port separate to the head unit located in front of the gear stick.

The GD-03 head unit has no inbuilt GPS, you rely on AA/Carplay and need the phone connected. It does use your phone data but I didnt notice any increase in my usage and I use it alot. AA uses google maps which I find excellent; the app updates daily so no need to do anything.
 I think its simpler and better than a built in GPS, Garmin/Tom Tom must be gutted.
Word of warning if your existing head unit is the model with built in navigation I think I read somewhere that the you could not replace it with the GD-03 head unit.

I have android auto in my Tucson, love it. Plays stored music, stream spotify, make phone calls and send texts all by voice control. Only improvement I might make is a remote mic.

Offline Darkhorse

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I have the stock standard GD-02 in my early 2015 i30 (5 inch screen, no GPS).

I'll keep on the hunt for a GD-03 and let you know how the install goes.

Thanks again @Badcop
  • i30 2015

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi @Darkhorse, Just letting you know I'll be writing an install guide for this soon when I have time. Watch this space.
  • 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just further to above VTH has been able to swap a GD01 unit to the GD03. There seems to be a few extra quirks to this task and VTH has been able to overcome them so will be an interesting and valuable post/install guide . Dazzler might want to set up a new string specifically for the GD01 upgrade.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just further to above VTH has been able to swap a GD01 unit to the GD03. There seems to be a few extra quirks to this task and VTH has been able to overcome them so will be an interesting and valuable post/install guide . Dazzler might want to set up a new string specifically for the GD01 upgrade.

Good Idea! @VTH  When you do the install guide can you start a new thread suitably titled thanks!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Darkhorse

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
@VTH Out of interest, where did you source the GD-03 and how much did it cost?
  • i30 2015

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
@VTH Out of interest, where did you source the GD-03 and how much did it cost?

Hi @Darkhorse, I sourced my GD-03 head unit + aux/usb jack and usb lead at a wrecker for $215.
  • 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline corza_21

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Australia
Can anyone confirm if you have the model with the inbuilt navigation if you can still upgrade to the GD-03?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI, Auto, White

Offline GreyBanna

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Im wondering the same question as above post.

I have just bought a GD-03 head unit. I currently have the head unit with inbuilt navigation.

Does anybody know if I can perform the swap or if it can be done?  I would hate to have bought this and find out that I cannot swap it over.

Thanks!
  • i30 SR 2015

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Im wondering the same question as above post.

I have just bought a GD-03 head unit. I currently have the head unit with inbuilt navigation.

Does anybody know if I can perform the swap or if it can be done?  I would hate to have bought this and find out that I cannot swap it over.

Thanks!
Does the new GD03 unit have navigation?  If not then it won’t fit in place of the already installed navigation unit as the lower part of the fascia is a different shape.

Offline corza_21

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Australia
From what I've been reading the GD-03 will use your phones maps for navigation and simply display - so no "in built" navigation.

To make it work we need to find a climate control unit from an i30 which didn't have in built navigation - a hard find so far.

Here's a pic which shows the difference. Basically the top of the climate control needs to be like the pic on the left.

Offline corza_21

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Australia
This is what would be needed for premiums or cars included with navigation.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal