i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 and control of updates

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As many of you would know, W10 is pretty good but my one complaint has been the automatic downloading of updates.
Recently the revised W10 downloaded itself. Took about 6 hours and several gb of download capacity.
In itself, I don't mind that except I have a 20gb download limit per month at peak times (and another 20gb off peak). If a big download happens towards the end of the scheduled month, this can be annoying depending on how much useage I've got left. We are also only on ADSL1.

Then, two days later another mass of "normal" updates took over for another hour or so.

So, I went in to where you can set the system as if it's on a metered download, which you couldn't adjust if you were on a hardwired connection previously. At least, not on the Home version of Windows.

Since the upgrade, you can.

It's been 4 days and no checks for updates.

I've just manually checked for updates and there's one there asking me if I want to download.

YEEHAA!

Result.

:brilliant: :judges:

Carry on...........................  :KissLips:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Who are you through Trevor? 20 + 20 is crazy low these days. We only usually use about 50 or 60 a month although gone to about 80 now we have the NBN. We are with Telstra and for $80 p/m  we get 200 p/m + 3 free top ups per year. (Haven't needed any yet) includes free local landline calls and free calls to STD landlines as well plus capped calls to mobiles (use my mobile for them anyway - have $1000 worth of calls included in mobile plan)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the info Trevor. Ive been avoiding Win10 knowing that it would have teething problems. I still have Win7 on ADSL 1 which was adequate; but its getting slower as the system has more usage.
 Out here in the valley, NBN is still a committee matter.  :head_butt: They want to put in towers, they think, and it will be fast,  some how , they think.   :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Why does windows have so many updates ? My wife's computer is constantly down loading updates, a couple of them messed up her computer and I had to do a restore back to an earlier date to get it working again ( did my brain in )   :confused: Might have to do the same as you have trevor. Do you pick out the updates to download or just when to download them all ? I use a Mac desk top and updates are rare.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@Dazzler. It's more than enough. Iinet. Bundled with home phone for $60 month. Over the years since I joined this plan they've upgraded to downloads and the speed a couple of times at no charge.
I can watch rugby league on Foxtel and WRC and Supercars on Fox if the box is in use, through the web.

@nzenigma , I resisted W10 until I bought a new PC. Then bit the bullet. TBH it's been great. I'm even using the embedded email client (Edge) and am happy with it.

The only issue has been the forced updates at a time that suits them. Hopefully that's now fixed. I'll report back here in a week or so.

@John B  I download them all. But the only issue has been the timing of them.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
  :goodjob2: I'm with iinet and pay $70-80 per month, depending on phone calls. Your Telstra bundle is far better.
My PC is about 8 years old, Ive repaired it several times, and yes, like you the day will come when it dies and W10 will enter my life.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
In this day and age of constant updated versions of ransomware being released I much rather let Windows keep itself updated with the latest patches, also note that Windows 10 Defender scored 100% in the latest real world tests at AV Comparitives :)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
also note that Windows 10 Defender scored 100% in the latest real world tests at AV Comparitives :)

:scared: I hope this is the real world? 

Dammit, Now I'm gonna feel lost all day  :sweating:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
  :goodjob2: I'm with iinet and pay $70-80 per month, depending on phone calls. Your Telstra bundle is far better.
My PC is about 8 years old, Ive repaired it several times, and yes, like you the day will come when it dies and W10 will enter my life.
I'm with iinet as well.
It's Dazz who is with Telstra.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Got it. I might still look harder at our plan, given what Dazz has described . Thanks.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Belong NBN, $50pm, 60G then throttled, no complaints.
Lucid Puppy Linux on desktop, no updates ever.
W7 on laptop, vital updates only with confirmation.
Samsung and iPad tablets, occasional app updates over WiFi only.
 :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I am with a Telstra bundle called " Best plan ever "

$99 month

1000gb

Local calls     included

National calls to fixed lines

calls to standard mobiles

International calls on savers rates

Telstra Tv   24 months term.

• Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I had their 'best plan ever' years ago. Every Weekend my PC was slower than dial up and by Monday I had nothing. Tuesday it ... :confused: functioned.

I spent hours phoning idiots in Telstra; it went like this:
.. Sir your PC is at fault....   What! Every Monday?   .......Yep    .........Are you telling me my PC has a personality?    ....... Yep......  If I got one without Monday-itis, would that help? .....  That is for you to decide Sir!

Sir said f**&^ OV and pledged never again to do business with Telstra.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I had their 'best plan ever' years ago. Every Weekend my PC was slower than dial up and by Monday I had nothing. Tuesday it ... :confused: functioned.

I spent hours phoning idiots in Telstra; it went like this:
.. Sir your PC is at fault....   What! Every Monday?   .......Yep    .........Are you telling me my PC has a personality?    ....... Yep......  If I got one without Monday-itis, would that help? .....  That is for you to decide Sir!

Sir said f**&^ OV and pledged never again to do business with Telstra.
Yep.
I had an issue with them waaaay back.
It was enough to put me off them forever.
However there are places in Oz where they're the only viable option. Tasmania for one. The Northern Territory for another.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I have been lucky so far but know quite a few that have had problems with Telstra. At this stage I am tied to them with Velocity fibre but as I understand it  in the near future NBN will possibly buy the cable from Telstra and then we will have the choice of providers. At the moment I have terrific speed and quite happy with what I have got.  :goodjob2: Read the other day day that 75% of NBN customers are unhappy with their internet. :eek:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Had some interesting times recently.

My PC is running well still. Windows Creators Update downloaded - took forever. It's something like 4GB.
On the other side of the family room, my wife's HP laptop on W8.1 continued to be a problem.
It's never been particularly fast, has the occasional hissy fit and, no matter which e-mail client we've tried, none have been particularly successful nor easy to use like Windows Live Mail was.

I set up an account for my wife on my PC and she tried it and agrees W10 seemed much simpler to use.
So we bit the bullet (getting hard on the teeth doing that  :crazy2:), and bought her a new Acer tower. I set it all up - lots of downloads as usual, but got through them all eventually and was just about to give her some lessons on W10, when Creators Edition arrived. Well "arrived" is a bit misleading. After two goes with it getting into the 80+% mark and then reverting to 0 (having used lot's of my download allowance), I did some reading up and found this was not unusual.

Took it down to my son who has Naked DSL and unlimited downloads. It's now updated and waiting for me to pick it up. He tells me even with his web access it took ages to download. But at least it was successful the first go.

Meanwhile, "because I can", I set about rebuilding the laptop.

1/ I found that Microsoft has still left a back door open for free upgrade to W10 for W8.1/8.0 and 7.0 users on "Assisted Technologies"
2/ So I followed the link and set the download in motion.
3/ You guessed it. 82% Fail! Back to 0. :crazy1:
4/ Next step was to reset the machine to factory specs and reloaded it as 8.1.
5/ It's a couple of years old, so you can imagine how many updates followed. But with W8.1 you can control when they updates download and in fact, select a few at a time. So the last few nights I've been up at 2am (off peak) which is not a problem because I wake up several times a night anyway. I'm a light sleeper but go back to sleep easily. So I set 600 or 700 MB of upgrades to come through and go back to sleep for a couple of hours.
6/ The really surprising thing is how quickly these updates come through. Maybe it's the 2am thing. But now it's back up to date as W8.1. I'll gradually add features (basic ones anyway), such as a few web favourites and set up the included Mail client and see what happens. At this stage, it seems to be a completely different machine.

Watch this space.  :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Trev, you wont receive any updates for 8.1 soon, end of life.

Another month or two and the Fall Creators update will arrive :rolleyes: one way to prevent the upgrade cancelling is to plug in the Ethernet cable...that's solved the problem for me on several friends and family systems I upgraded.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm only running windows 10 on one machine (my 17" laptop, which i seldom use any more) everything else is various versions of 7 which are all working brilliantly (touch wood)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm only running windows 10 on one machine (my 17" laptop, which i seldom use any more) everything else is various versions of 7 which are all working brilliantly (touch wood)  :sweating:
End of life for win7 soon too, no patches/fixes or security updates.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Trev, you wont receive any updates for 8.1 soon, end of life.

Another month or two and the Fall Creators update will arrive :rolleyes: one way to prevent the upgrade cancelling is to plug in the Ethernet cable...that's solved the problem for me on several friends and family systems I upgraded.
I was connected by Ethernet cable in all cases where the downloads failed.
Ironically, all the 8.1 updates were via wifi.
As for the future of 8.1, no problem. The laptop is just a project t now.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's strange then :confused:
Meh!
Computers.  :crazy2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal