i30 Owners Club

i30 PD New Zealand Launch

eXDee · 18 · 4375

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
August is the date slated for the launch of the i30 PD. A few months behind Australia. And we're getting completely screwed on price and value for money.

Via stuff and nzautocar

And there's no Diesel option.
Hyundai Says:
2.0L GDi or 1.6 GDi Turbo petrol engine options
6 speed automatic or 7 speed dual clutch transmission

Stuff elaborates:
The new i30's value equation has also improved. Although the new model is bigger and carries more comfort and safety equipment, prices remain unchanged at
  • $35,990 for an entry 2.0 GDi with a six-speed automatic
  • $39,990 for a higher-specified Elite version
  • $43,990 for a Limited 1.6T GDi with a seven-speed twin-clutch auto.

However, diesel is out completely.
This time around, however, there are no diesels. There were two in the range the new i30 replaces, but only a handful had been sold in 2017 so they have been dropped.

Note how the names are different. And the price is approximately $10,000NZD higher - I'd like to see how Hyundai New Zealand can justify this.
Here's some comparisons:

2.0 GDI appears to be the same as the Australian Active but no Manual option is mentioned, so we'll assume its auto only.
The Australian Active (auto) is $24800 NZD + ORC, but in NZ the 2.0 GDI comes in at $35,990 NZD. Uncertain whether this is drive away or +ORC. But ORC do not add that much so...
+$11,200 NZD higher than Australia.

The Elite badge is a Diesel model in Australia, I expect it to have similar trim to the Elite Australian model but with a Petrol engine, as opposed to being similar to the SR, based on the descriptions and that that it has Torsion Beam rear suspension. The wording of both articles implies that it still might have the non-turbo 2.0 engine here in NZ but this is not certain. Again, Auto only but not DCT. The Australian SR has the more powerful 1.6 Turbo, with DCT.
Either way, both are $30,875 NZD over the ditch with more choices and higher specs. The Elite here is $39,990 NZD.
+$9,115 NZD higher than Australia - for lower specs.

The Limited could be an equivalent of the SR Premium, but based on Hyundai NZ's other options, I expect not all features to come to NZ models, and it's likely to be somewhere between the Australian SR and the SR Premium.
The Australian SR DCT is $30,875 NZD, and the SR Premium is $36,200NZD. The Limited here is $43,990 NZD
+$13,115 in the worst case compared to the SR, and +$7,790 in the best case compared to the SR Premium.

Keep in mind we're also getting screwed on the warranty differences too:
Australia: 5 Year, Unlimited KMs
New Zealand: 3 Year, 100,000 KMs

In summary, New Zealand consumers are getting screwed by overpriced goods once again, in addition to the minor launch delay.
 This is a bitter taste in the mouth for what should have been an exciting new vehicle.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:32:45 by eXDee »
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
Edited my post to add Australian Comparisons.

Can someone enlighten me regarding ORC? Surely this is only a few hundred bucks over in Aus, and wouldn't be in the thousands?

Lets compare to importing an Australian purchased car. A quick quote on shipping a $30,000NZD small car from Sydney to Auckland is $2,031.82NZD. GST is a hefty 15% extra too. Lets run the numbers.
This leaves approx a $5400 price difference for Active and $2500 for SR, which is far better than the Elite. For the Limited, there's two options - the SR only has a few less features but would be $6480 cheaper. Or the SR Premium likely brings more features than the NZ version, at basically the same price, including all those import costs.

Ridiculous.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:02:22 by eXDee »
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that. You seem to pay a premium above the exchange rate.

Edit. I got distracted and didn't realize you had made that 2nd post.

I probably paid too much but got my SR DCT for $31,000  Driveaway

Dealer delivery car be as much as $1800 and other costs can be up to about $1000 but you can usually knock about $1000 or $1500 out of the deal somewhere along the line...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:01:49 by Dazzler »
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
Edit. I got distracted and didn't realize you had made that 2nd post.
All good, i've done many edits on the posts, and now made sure i included as many costs as possible.

I'm quite frustrated with this - while i'm not in the market for a new car right now, what this means is that in 3-5 years time a used one will probably be able the same price as an Australian new.

Dealer delivery car be as much as $1800 and other costs can be up to about $1000 but you can usually knock about $1000 or $1500 out of the deal somewhere along the line...

Wow that's a lot. But yeah this is a good point too, you may get a discount to offset it.

Too bad you can't use the TRS scheme to claim back the Australian GST - sadly its personal luggage items only and a car doesn't fit in the carry on!
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We sort of know how you feel, because we pay an Aussie (isolation ) tax on a lot of stuff. For example Tyres and batteries are half the price that we pay in the UK and electronics and equivalent cars and takeaway foods (just to name a few) are way cheaper in the USA.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Way back in the 70s, cars in NZ were helishly expensive. I thought they had reached some sort of parity since then.
Obviously not.
I'm assuming this price difference is not just restricted to Hyundai?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
I asked at the local Hyundai dealer and they said August but phoned the next day saying they had one for me to drive!

Asked if it was diesel manual. No, petrol DCT.  I am suddenly not interested.
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I asked at the local Hyundai dealer and they said August but phoned the next day saying they had one for me to drive!

I think you'd be quite impressed if you had a drive.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You should at least give one a try. Even if just as a comparison.  My DCT has paddle shifters on the steering. Broom, broom!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Broom, broom!
Yep, that's what I'd use on an auto. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black

I think you'd be quite impressed if you had a drive.
[/quote]

I suspect you are correct. The current diesel manual is perfect as I do an awful lot of towing around NZ for motorcycle events. The 1.6 GDI turbo looks on paper as it would be fine and being Hyundai, should be well sorted and hopefully last a while.

DCTs have been a bit of a disaster from what I can see but doing some reading, looks like Hyundai version seems pretty good. Not ideal in traffic if you creep along (excessive clutch wear) but having a manual currently, I don't do that at all.

Will try to fit some time in this weekend for a drive  :confused:

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
I was in NZ for the 1st 3 weeks of July & spotted 3 PD i30s with a few minutes of each other heading south on Hwy 1 just north of Wellsford. I figured they may have been press cars.

Yes NZ certainly gets done over on many goods, especially cars.
I seriously think there is a cartel like situation with the few importers & distributors of vehicles.
NZ being such a small market, parent company's like Hyundai & others probably don't care that their products are uncompetitive on pricing & equipment specs.

This is no doubt why i30 is just not popular in NZ.

It could well be that the company which owns & operates Hyundai NZ also controls many other brands & promotes/favours the makes & models that best rewards that company. Truly uncompetitive!

The disparity in pricing & equipment levels for vehicles either side of the ditch are not justifiable at all - period.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:34:34 by edagrade »
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L GDI, Auto, SR Premium, Creamy White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a shame! :Pout:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:37:49 by Dazzler »

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Did some browsing on Hyundai NZ website & ended up downloading the PD i30 brochure.
The NZ site makes it very difficult to obtain pricing unless full disclosure of personal details are given.

How do I upload the brochure to this site?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Did some browsing on Hyundai NZ website & ended up downloading the PD i30 brochure.
The NZ site makes it very difficult to obtain pricing unless full disclosure of personal details are given.

How do I upload the brochure to this site?

Can you post link?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's a  link to the i30 on the NZ website
http://www.hyundai.co.nz/new-cars/small-cars/new-i30-overview/

Some funny little differences I noticed. They get a metallic brown. They get mud flaps (called mud guards) standard on all models.  Plus, they get cooled glove box,  which pretty sure has been deleted in our Aussie cars. Think it (cooled glove box) was in FD and GD, not that I used it much....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:04:00 by Dazzler »

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Thanks for posting that Dazz.
The cooling function in the glovebox of the GD I found not too useful. I would rather they fitted a light to it actually - seems the PD doesn't have illuminated glovebox either?

Interestingly the Oz SR Premium is not specced with LED headlights - only the Premium is. The NZ 1.6 Turbo Hatch Limited (Closest match to Oz SR Premium) gets LED Headlights - Go figure.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I thought OZ SR premium got LED headlights, the standard SR (like mine) doesn't though.

@edagrade No problems, I didn't see the link for downloading the brochure. I think you have to upload the brochure to dropbox or one drive or something and post a link to share it in the site. I don't think I've shared a PDF except by sharing a link to the download site.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal