Passing of the baton..

Dazzler · 24 · 4144

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It appears there is going to be a "passing of the baton" as far as the hero model of the i30 is concerned (on the site at least)

The majority (maybe up to 80%) of active long term member had at some stage owned a CRDi. It wasn't that there was/is anything wrong with the 1.6 petrol (relatively fuel efficient ) or the 2.0 petrol (plenty of go). All engines are very reliable and smooth.

It was just that the diesel's low end torque was/is addictive and added to the character of the original little FD which already had good bones.

It is becoming pretty obvious already (in Australia anyway) that Hyundai's attempt to sell more of the upmarket / sporty model (SR) is working.

Even though I've bought one, I'll still shed a tear for the gradual demise of the CRDi due to tightening emission laws and the trend towards turbo charged petrol and hybrid/full electric cars.

I will always have a soft spot for the CRDi.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Frugal Firty will still be chugging along for a long time to come, my friend. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Yes @Dazzler, I have to agree.  We thought long and hard about another CRDi (we've had two, an FD SLX and a GD Premium), but the little 1.6 GDi turbo does have reasonable low down torque.  Plus, the addition of a DPF on the diesel sort of sealed it.  I was also a little disappointed that the diesel vehicles did not come with the fully independent rear suspension.
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
bring on the economy run!! 1.6 CRDi have achieved 3.9L per 100k from fuel that is selling for around $1.18au if i had the 1.6 turbo petrol i would use minim 95 octain not sure what the price for that is but 98 octane $1.45 here
also i personaly drove 1,300+ k's on one tank of diesel and some other members went 1,400k's on one tank.
that little turbo petrol has to earn the right!! thirsty little bugger i'll bet.

performance wise the petrol tubo would win hands down but the CRDi has never claimed to be a sports car.
give me a 2.2L turbo diesel in a i30!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:08:59 by Lakes »

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Your right about the economy @Lakes, no argument there.  I know, I got 1402km in my FD (as OURI30).  The second GD auto we had was nowhere near that good, but I've heard the GDs with the 7 speed DCT are very economical.  But back to the new petrol PD, we'll have to wait and see, but if we get around 6 l/100km on a country road trip (that's where we live), I'll be happy.  I'll let you know.
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
that's great Bob, did not know it was you.
the 1.6 turbo petrol would be a good drivers motor with good low end torque

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes John, I would have missed the economy if I went from the FD CRDi to the SR but coming from the Calais I should be fine. Guess I'll only get about 700kms to the tank on a trip compared with 800 out of the Calais but I'll only be filling a 50 litre tank not a 70 litre one.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
that's great Bob, did not know it was you.
the 1.6 turbo petrol would be a good drivers motor with good low end torque

When I was talking to Sue about the low down torque of the 1.6 GDI Turbo, she said, "I don't care about the engine!"  For her, it's all about the HEATED 💺.  :whistler:

And, when I popped in to the dealer today after golf and sent her a pic of the car, the message came back instantly, "Are you touching my car!!"  And that wasn't a question, it was more of an order.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Trish is driving My car to Launceston to pick me up from the airport on Saturday! :eek:
Not quite sure why she's not using her 6 Speed manual 2014 Tourer seeing as she reckons she prefers it...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Trish is driving My car to Launceston to pick me up from the airport on Saturday! :eek:
Not quite sure why she's not using her 6 Speed manual 2014 Tourer seeing as she reckons she prefers it...

Probably just to stress you out, Dazz. 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm not that stressed. I will get to drive it home.. :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Says he, hopefully.   :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Probably mounting a case to swap cars with you. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nah, I don't think so. She prefers a manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
As fuel economy goes we did 100km around town, 100-110km/h for approx 350km through many 50km/h towns, a bit more urban driving (probably 20-30km), 50km at 110km/h then around Sydney for the day and back up north a bit before needing fuel.
Was around 620km on its first tank of fuel (ULP95) and trip computer told me 6.7l/100.
I expect closer to 700km from the tank once the engine wears in but will be happy with anything over 650km on highway runs.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

The PD is growing on her... :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
@cruiserfied that 6.7 lph sounds reasonable for the driving described and the first tank.   Plus, there would be the temptation to experiment with the throttle a little.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The PD is growing on her... :goodjob2:
Yes, Phil I think so. :D

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
@cruiserfied that 6.7 lph sounds reasonable for the driving described and the first tank.   Plus, there would be the temptation to experiment with the throttle a little.

Bob

Oh the throttle has been tickled  :snigger:
Even got a nice Ooo reaction to the power when taking a small gap in Sydney traffic from my wife who is in no way interested in going fast in cars.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I reckon the CRDI generally sold in the base model for fleet and as long as the price is good will continue to do so. At least until a Hybrid i30 appears or a really economical turbo petrol.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I reckon the CRDI generally sold in the base model for fleet and as long as the price is good will continue to do so. At least until a Hybrid i30 appears or a really economical turbo petrol.

I know you don't get the 1,4 T-GDi in OZ but it's rated at 18,5 km/L or 5,4L/100. Think that's a reasonable consumption for a car this size and power... (140 HP/242Nm)
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know you don't get the 1,4 T-GDi in OZ but it's rated at 18,5 km/L or 5,4L/100. Think that's a reasonable consumption for a car this size and power... (140 HP/242Nm)
Yes, that is pretty good. Maybe they will bring it in at some stage. Although maybe a Czech only build with poor exchange rates for us Aussies.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

the Torque the ease of driving auto small car like her's. maybe trade her's on a blue one? lol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

the Torque the ease of driving auto small car like her's. maybe trade her's on a blue one? lol

Think she would still prefer a manual one John and think she would go the white (could happen one day)  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal