i30 Owners Club

I30 2010 Manual gear possible problem?

Donk10 · 14 · 2932

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
Hi guys I've only owned this I30 since march this year ( only 34K on the clock when I bought it) and it's my first car. I think I might have a problem with the gear change but being a new driver I'm not ruling out it could be me doing something stupid. Basically when I change gear from 1st to 2nd the gear seems not to want to go in, it almost feels like the gear stick is hitting something maybe a plate or something?. its defiantly not smooth, and when I change to 3rd I get a vibration as I change from the neutral position to 3rd. When I change down its fine all the way to 2nd but the when I go to first again I hit resistance unless I'm already stopped. When the engine is off I don't find any issue with changing gears ( yes I know its because the engine isn't running ) . Anyone got any ideas?
  • 2010 i30 comfort 1.4 petrol

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Donk,
Assuming you've checked clutch fluid and all is good there other wise you have trouble with all gears.
2nd to 1st in most boxes is really hard until you are almost stopped.
As for vib 2nd to 3rd only at neutral to 3rd , I won't guess.
Someone with more knowledge should pop soon. Could you please give app speed when changing as that may be of assistance to the brainer ones . 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Could be a clutch issue. What's it like selecting  reverse? Just wondering if the clutch is not releasing .

Need more opinions I feel. @nzenigma @cruiserfied
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Donk, That model can be a bit notchy in the lower gears. Might be worth getting the oil in the gearbox changed to a premium one at the next service or getting an additive added to the transmission.

I thought the clutch was self adjusting, but maybe it isn't and needs adjusting.  :undecided:

As Gerard says usually if the lower gears are sticky then reverse is hard to select first time too.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
Generally the clutch seems fine, I had a fella at work who knows his stuff check it out and he said it was excellent. As for selecting reverse gear It doesn't seem to be much of an issue unless I dont put it in properly  :-[. Changing gear from 1st to 2nd usually around the 5mph mark, 2nd to 3rd around 15-20mph and 4th at 30mph, changing down is the same apart from 2nd to 1st where I wait until im stopped in 2nd and then change to 1st.
  • 2010 i30 comfort 1.4 petrol

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Generally the clutch seems fine, I had a fella at work who knows his stuff check it out and he said it was excellent. As for selecting reverse gear It doesn't seem to be much of an issue unless I dont put it in properly  :-[. Changing gear from 1st to 2nd usually around the 5mph mark, 2nd to 3rd around 15-20mph and 4th at 30mph, changing down is the same apart from 2nd to 1st where I wait until im stopped in 2nd and then change to 1st.

Got nothing to add, if this thinks it's excellent, maybe it's fine. I picked reverse because with no synchro if the clutch was grabbing I'd expect reverse to grind away a bit, sounds normal. Never had a manual i30.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Had a similar experience with my FD -  after the service guys had tightened the gear linkage cables "as a favour" :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What engine do you have, petrol or desiel?

I ask as i have driven both and the gear change speed is different in each.

Eg. In petrol i can be in 5th at 30 mph but can only be in 3rd in desiel.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I would start with an oil change.
It's also possible the previous owner has been a bit rough on it and maybe the synchros are a bit worse for wear.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I was just going to say what she did.  :)

Generally they are quite a nice sporty gearbox. It sounds like a synchromesh problem, syncro requires the right oil to work properly.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
All the huyndais I've driven have had the same issue with going from 1st to 2nd. Getz was a bit worse than my current i30. With time I learned to shift from 1 to 2 smoothly. I would say the transmissions are not fast to change lower gears when compared to some other vehicles. Try change the gear like you were driving a huge truck. Or if you have not ever driven a truck, try using the shifter like you were in slow motion.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Only our 2008 was notchy, but got better with time. Our MY11 CW was like butter and the 2014 Tourer is very good now. Possibly not quite as silky smooth changes as the CW. The CW and 2008 models were Korean built, the Tourer from Czech Republic...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
All the huyndais I've driven have had the same issue with going from 1st to 2nd. Getz was a bit worse than my current i30. With time I learned to shift from 1 to 2 smoothly. I would say the transmissions are not fast to change lower gears when compared to some other vehicles. Try change the gear like you were driving a huge truck. Or if you have not ever driven a truck, try using the shifter like you were in slow motion.

Double clutch even 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal