i30 Owners Club

2009 FD: wheel alignment out of whack? bald front tyres

Offline ms.feelgood76

• 1st Gear

• Nsw
So I dont know much about cars, Im hoping someone can help .I bought 2009 model serviced Huyndai i30 nearly 3years ago..Bought new tyres 1.5years ago and got wheel alignment done at same time and now front ones are bold back ones really good..My mechanic recommended to get suspension checked. Took car today to suspension place for a check and wheel alignment out of whack, needs pins some sort..$995 it will cost to fix. Im gutted! Bought pretty new car with low kms and didnt expect to have costly issues like this yet at least...Who knows about cars?! Just trying to wrap my head around this...Dont want to be ripped off, single mum of two. TIA!
  • Huyndai i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
For that kind of money, I'd get a second opinion. Even new struts might not be worth that much.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
FD i30s need wheel alignment regularly (20000 Km max or sooner) to keep uneven wear at bay. Sounds like your tyres never got rotated. You supposed to do a tyre rotation/wheel alignment ideally every 10000 so this kind of thing does not happen.

Suspension places in general are very keen to sell you everything they got for your model, need it or not. I would go to a reputable mechanic to get a second opinion as Gonz suggested.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Firstly don't be guttered just yet....The FD has excellent suspension and I am aware of very few issues and I've had 2 that have covered over 240,000k .

If you went to a place that advertises 'no bull' I would rip up their quote and start again personally

How many kms have you done in that year and a half (Even with highway driving I struggled to get over 40k from a set of 15" tyres rotated every 15k) My wife killed her first set in 35.....What brand of tyres while were at it?

Which tyre is stuffed and how (a picture might help our gurus)

And finally is it a diesel? They were known to be a bit heavier on tyres.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
FD i30s need wheel alignment regularly (20000 Km max or sooner) to keep uneven wear at bay. Sounds like your tyres never got rotated. You supposed to do a tyre rotation/wheel alignment ideally every 10000 so this kind of thing does not happen.

Suspension places in general are very keen to sell you everything they got for your model, need it or not. I would go to a reputable mechanic to get a second opinion as Gonz suggested.

I'm with you on the rotational bit, first question I'd ask. The alignment though I'm curious there. There is no adjustment other than toe in. If anything else is out then you'd be looking at worn bushes or other components,

The rear is also adjustable.

Ever notice any change in direction when braking?

So if you have a quote, is it written? what exactly does it quote?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
If you went to a place that advertises 'no bull' I would rip up their quote and start again personally 

Good guess    :lol:

Hello ms.feelgood and welcome,
 :i30:

Bypass the " no bull " company, try some where else for a check, but DON'T  say anything about the  so called quote. Take things from there.
Tyres should be rotated about 10,000 km and tyre pressure should be maintained as well for maximum life.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sound advice.
I'll have something to add, tomorrow when I'm not on a little tablet.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sound advice.
I'll have something to add, tomorrow when I'm not on a little tablet.

Hopefully not a bitter pill :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like they're wanting to add Camber pins, pins = $5 and $990 to fit them :faint: :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
clearly we all have sleeping disorders

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
I never rotate my tires and I got over 70,000 km out of my Citroen tires, replaced them because they were dry and cracked they were not worn.
I had to do wheel alignment to my I30, there is no Camber alignment, the right wheel needed camber alignment, he just "shaved" a bit of metal and then it was fine. also on the back there is no Camber alignment. same thing there.
it was 3000 km ago and the tires show no signs of uneven wear.
each manufacturer have its own agenda on suspension adjustment. some have all the adjustment options and some have none. 
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
its half past eight in the evening...  :crazy1:
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK.
First thing we need to know is what type of engine it has.
Secondly, is the wear on the inside or the outside shoulders?
Thirdly, what size are the tyres?
I'd also like to see the shop's written quote if the lady has one. And the wheel alignment settings as recorded by them.
As others have surmised, camber pins don't cost much as a part, nor are they hard to fit.
But I'm not a lover of them except in extreme circumstances. They can slip.

Now, to make some assumptions.

If it's a diesel and the wear is on the inside shoulders, Then camber pins are an acceptable solution but the cost is, in my opinion, exorbitant. However, a much more simple and lots cheaper "fix" is, as suggested above, new tyres if needed, plus an ongoing inspection and rotation program with alignment checks if any wear is showing. This saves $1000 and you have to have a LOT of alignments and rotations to use up $1000.

If it's a petrol engine, or if the tyres are worn on the outside shoulders, a simple toe adjustment will probably fix it. It is also possible that a toe adjustment will fix the inside shoulder wear on a diesel.

If the front wheels are toeing OUT, then inside shoulders wear will occur.
If the tyres are toeing IN, then the wear will be on the outside shoulders.
One qualifier. If the wear is mostly on the outside shoulder of ONLY the passenger side front tyre, that's most likely due to the car using a lot of roundabouts because that's the wheel that carries all the load when negotiating roundabouts. A generous rotation program will help here. As will going a bit more slowly around roundabouts.

Back to the toe in/ out issue. What happens is that, because the wheels aren't pointing straight ahead, the forward motion of the car is trying to pull the tyres off the rims, distorting the sidewalls and placing excessive loads on the shoulders. If this is happening, the worn section around the tread will be uneven. ie. there will be more tread depth at one point, progressively reducing around the tyre.

I also don't know how many kilometres these tyres have done. Good pics of the tread faces of all four tyres would help. This would help to determine if new tyres are needed.

I know all the above sounds a bit complicated. It isn't - to an honest tyre person.
It's years since I've worked in Sydney so my list of contacts is shrinking.
Something in all of this suggests to me the lady might be in Sydney's SW. I'm pretty sure the same guy still owns Macarthur Tyre and Brake in Camden. So, if it helps, I could give him a call.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

well I don't remember exactly what time it was say 3am or so. I was online, CraigB was online and surf must have been up because Surferdudes activity lamp lit up.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

well I don't remember exactly what time it was say 3am or so. I was online, CraigB was online and surf must have been up because Surferdudes activity lamp lit up.
I was checking the wind and swell reports in prep for heading off for a surf.
Damn good surf too.  :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Got 2nd and 3rd opinion today :D :D
@ms.feelgood76 , well done.
Feel free to ask anytime for more help or advice.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'm with you on the rotational bit, first question I'd ask. The alignment though I'm curious there. There is no adjustment other than toe in.
    :evil: Its not immediately obvious but camber and caster CAN be adjusted by moving the sub-frame. Its adjustable  all directions.

:goodjob2: Brilliant  advice Surferdude. thanks.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Got 2nd and 3rd opinion today :D :D
Onya, Ms FeelBetter, glad to sense that you're in good spirits. We're here to help, so don't be a stranger. We're all looking forward to hearing how it all turns out and then about your mods like new body kit, vinyl wrap, bull bar, racechip ... oh we're not done with you yet! :lol: :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal