i30 Owners Club

2010 I30 rear door lock actuator

Trap · 8 · 4086

Offline Trap

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi,
Recently purchase 2010 I30 and it sounds like the left rear door lock actuator needs replacing. When the door is locked using the  remote a long whirring sound comes from the door plus unlocking is only intermitently successful. I've removed the inside door trim with ease and now trying to remove the inner skin to access the actuator however I can't get the inner skin to come off. If anyone knows how this is done I would really appreciate some advise. So far I've removed the outside door handle, removed torx screws retaining the latch ( in the end of the door) removed all bolts holding the skin, removed the three screws which hold the inside handle. I can only get the skin to come away from the door by 3 or 4 inches, enough to get my arm between the skin and the door however the skin seems to be getting stuck in the vacinity of the latch area?
Unable to find tutorial on this model. Cheers
  • I30 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: to our friendly and helpful ful little club. I was a bit surprised nobody had offered so much as a hello yet.

I've had 4 x i30's but fortunately I've never had to completely dismantle a door lining to do such a repair. We have had similar questions on here, but finding the threads is not that easy.

I am pretty sure there would be a video on YouTube for a similar Hyundai model. If I find anything before you or someone else does, I'll be back.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Instroe
Trap
It's tough, I just did it this morning, took a load of photos and put them in order with a few words in a PDF but it's over 200k so too big to post?.
You need to unclip the large plastic cover and undo the window screw. Push the glass up and tape in place.
Dazzler - can you do something so I can post it or send it to you for posting?
Cheers
Instroe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks heaps for that Steve (well done)  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Trap

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks Heaps, I managed to get the actuator out only to find I ordered the wrong replacement  part, not to worry, new part ordered and replacement should be easy now I have the know how.

Thanks All

Cheers
  • I30 2010

Instroe
Photo of the guts of the door actuator. It is definitely a sealed unit - it isn't going back together any time soon.

Instroe
Thought I'd take bits out of the opened mechanism to find out which bit was sticking. It's the final bit which is actually visible from the outside of the door - it has a screwdriver slot in it right where the catch locks in. I took it out from my old one and from the inside, lubricated with grease (which what was on it in the first place) - it's operation became marginally better. Cleaned all grease off and put graphite powder on it, again a slight improvement but still stiff. maybe mine was just worn too much.
Either way if your operation is marginal it may be worth trying to get some lubrication into the outer rim of this plastic screw from the open door before you pull the whole door apart. Graphite powder won't get in but maybe a small finger of grease might push around the outside of the rotating section a little and help. Just a thought before you move on to a new lock.
With the door open you will see it turn about 60 degrees with operation of the remote - if it's working correctly. Photo of rotating part and screw slot is attached. Good luck

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal