OIL SEAL FAILURE_ 130 motor removal

2xcatz · 80 · 23056

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm starting to get the impression there is no bushing or bearing. Nothing in the parts breakdown but on a video of a box just separated I see nothing.  That's on the generation before.
so... wipes brow..., :sweating: now I have to go down to shed #2 and have a look,  :phone1: jezzz talk about a bad hair day  :crazy2:

IT's all down hill.  :lol:
P.S. Take a camera

Gary is old enough that could be him in the photo.  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm starting to get the impression there is no bushing or bearing. Nothing in the parts breakdown but on a video of a box just separated I see nothing.  That's on the generation before.
so... wipes brow..., :sweating: now I have to go down to shed #2 and have a look,  :phone1: jezzz talk about a bad hair day  :crazy2:

P.S. Take a camera

Now, you could have waited until the report comes in first before you upset him! :head_butt:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:confused: :-[ :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

P.S. Take a camera

Now, you could have waited until the report comes in first before you upset him! :head_butt:

Wise words....... never upset a man armed with a bore scope.  :evil:

And @2xcatz  @Dazzler  @tw2005 .
 Bit of an act at 5.30 am because the motors still have their clutches. However, the trusty bore scope says NO!  :Shocked:
The 2.0L motor does not have a spigot bearing.

I'm stunned that Hyundai couldn't tell us that.  :rolleyes:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

P.S. Take a camera

Bit of an act at 5.30 am because the motors still have their clutches. However, the trusty bore scope says NO!  :Shocked:

I'm not. these are the same people who struggled to identify the fault, the same people who are not going out of their way to help either I feel placing barriers around.

It's a new generation. :head_butt:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

P.S. Take a camera

I'm not. these are the same people who struggled to identify the fault, the same people who are not going out of their way to help either I feel placing barriers around.

The main problem is that all the people you deal with, have only been shown "how to do X", never how anything works, or what to do if they have a problem that is outside of what they have been shown. People don't touch anything mechanical or electrical to see whats going on,  they are not interested.   :disapp:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

The main problem is that all the people you deal with, have only been shown "how to do X", never how anything works, or what to do if they have a problem that is outside of what they have been shown. People don't touch anything mechanical or electrical to see whats going on,  they are not interested.   :disapp:

Yep, unfortunately, you are both right.  I grew up in an era when repairing your car or house was a rite of passage . We were partly influenced by our parents who had been 'over there' during war time and learnt  how to 'think and do' to survive.
Many in today's  generation of ANZACs  :faint: are self centred little gits who are glued to their erroneously labelled  "communication" devices, pretending that their so-called  'friends', who are sending them meaningless drivel, are amazing humans who actually care about them.
END OF RANT  :blubber:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep, unfortunately, you are both right.  I grew up in an era when repairing your car or house was a rite of passage . We were partly influenced by our parents who had been 'over there' during war time and learnt  how to 'think and do' to survive.
Many in today's  generation of ANZACs  :faint: are self centred little gits who are glued to their erroneously labelled  "communication" devices, pretending that their so-called  'friends', who are sending them meaningless drivel, are amazing humans who actually care about them.
END OF RANT  :blubber:

I resent a so called friend saying that! I don't consider the stuff you put on my communication device meaningless drivel...  :eek: :crazy1: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From the TSBs I have seen it would appear that there is a very bureaucratic process. If this happens then do that etc etc.

If there is no script then they are all at sea. That and no one is going to pay them the big dollars per hour they get changing oil to do a fix like the one above, they will end up with a stupidly big bill that they cannot justify thus have to reduce. They will wear this (or try to kick the can down the road to the next dealer) with warranty work as it is a part of the dealership's contract (thats not to say they won't try to do a lot of other unnecessary warranty work to get the margin up if they are allowed (hence why they have to get approval from Hyundai).

My efforts to have the brake light switched for the second time in the wife's car went this way:

Service Whats the problem
Me The brake light is staying on on some occasions when applied, I can see it in the rear spoiler thing in the middle of the rear window. I need a new brake light switch.
Service Soulds about right but we'll need to look at it.

On pick up
Re alligned traction control and a couple of other things tested ok.
Me: I'm fairly sure it is the brake light switch, it is a $30 part. I can't see how the traction control would result in the brake lights staying on.

That night me: "the motherf#$king brake lights are staying on...."

Visit 2:
Service: Whats the problem?
Me; Same as last time, the brake lights are staying on. I was sceptical of your last fix.....I wanted a new brake light switch, again it is a known fault, has the same symptoms and costs $30 retail. I can't see why you wouldn't change it.
Service: It has already been done.
Me: Wouldn't be the first time something has gone.

Later that day on the phone
Service: G'day mate your car is ready
Me what did they do?
Service: they did (whatever it was)
Me: Mate, I'm not going to be happy if I pick the car up for a second time and the brake lights stay on and I have to come back for a third time when I have identified that it is the most likley fault from the start and were not talking hundreds of dollars, were talking $30
Service: oh hang on.
Service: Give us another hour and we will put the brake light switch in as a 'goodwill gesture' to put your mind at rest.

I got the car back, and whoever had done the brake light switch had left the mat that covers the internals under the dash unclipped and it was resting on the brake pedal so once I had rectified their error (I had checked this before I took it to the stealer and it was fitted ok) all worked well in the world and has to this day.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That night me: "the motherf#$king brake lights are staying on...."

:lol:  :rofl:

Offline 2xcatz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi all, just another question for you as we are installing new thrust bearing in our S/H i30 motor before running it can you tell us what the main bearing torque settings are please?
  • I30 Trophy

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all, just another question for you as we are installing new thrust bearing in our S/H i30 motor before running it can you tell us what the main bearing torque settings are please?

27.5 to 31.4 Nm + (60°~64°)

Offline 2xcatz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ANy updates? Any photos? Would love some actual imagery of all this work :exclaim:

Offline 2xcatz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Everybody, firstly sorry for the delay as a lot has happened over the last few weeks.

Well it has been a while since we reported anything but here is the latest and hopefully the last.

In a few days we are parting with the i30 and trading it in on a S/H manual Mazda6.  Since the last time we posted on the forum  we have replaced the old thrust bearings from the problem motor with new ones and as my mechanic indicated if it took 96,000 km to wear out the old ones it may take some time to wear out the new ones even though there was 0.015” crankshaft end float instead of the 0.010" that Hyundai indicate. As a back-up, if the changes the mechanic made didn’t hold, we had also  put down a one-third deposit on a good second hand motor (which we were prepared to loose), in the event that we would need to change the motor completely. 

In the meantime, we had emailed the Herald-Sun motoring section and asked them to read the story on the magic i30 Forum web site, link supplied, about the 2xcatz saga. We indicated that we didn’t what them to push Hyundai about another motor but just for then to warn readers about this problem. Well the following week they published two other reader’s questions with motor replacement problems that Hyundai didn’t want to know about.

We had a reply yesterday from the Herald-Sun and were told to get back in touch with Hyundai in Sydney because Hyundai has been under pressure from the ACCC to take a more proactive approach with warranty issues, please refer to the following link:

:link: Hyundai to improve consumer guarantees approach | ACCC

So everybody after losing far too much time, money and effort even without going down the ACCC route the i30 will be gone for good. I would like to thank you all again for your efforts, assistance and thoughts along the way and, yes we were even thinking, for a fleeting period of time, of trading in the manual petrol i30 for a diesel, but we changed our minds.

As an aside, last week at a car club meeting that the man went to, he told a fellow club member about the problems we were having and he said the lass who works behind him had the over head gear in her i30 motor break and once again Hyundai didn’t want to know about it even though this car had two months’ worth of warranty remaining.
  • I30 Trophy

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Good morning 2xcatz,

Thankyou for your brilliant update, sorry that you are going to the opposition  :confused: but understand your sentiments, wish you well.
Gerard ( @tw2005  ) and I were recently discussing your problem,  too often it happens that we put in a lot of time not only responding to member's queries but also doing further research to provide good advice, but after that there is silence. So, many thanks for this update, I am sure Gerard and the other contributors also appreciate it. Attention @Dazzler
Moreover, your own contribution has been well thought through. Brilliant  :goodjob2: The use of the media to gain support from the ACCC appears to have hit the mark.
There is another issue that has come to our attention, I will refer your work to those members, it will be valuable to them. :link: 2017 i30sr starting problem
Best wishes Gary
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 21:59:10 by nzenigma »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers 2xcatz and Gary.

:whsaid:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi 2x,
I would continue to chase Hy Aus, if only to get your money spent on getting it to a point that you can sell it back. You might even get a great trade in for the  6 .
Thanks for the perseverance  and  the update . :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That explains the easy time I had with Hyundai getting a committment to fix an iload seat that had the stiching go.

I thought I would be batteling for weeks....sent it in, they took a photo approval same day booked in for next week.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Auto expert did a video about ACCC and Hyundai  (quite interesting) :cool:

I'll post a separate thread.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal