i30 Owners Club

Fuel gauge issue

JohnC · 4 · 5147

Offline JohnC

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi,

I have just bought a 2014 i30 1.6crdi active automatic with under 7,000miles on the clock, It was a motability car.

With a half tank of fuel it is showing that I only have enough for another 105miles,
The average mpg was only showing 29.2mpg when I got it so am not sure if this is linked to how much the car thinks I have enough diesel for. I reset the average mpg but it still shows 105miles to fill up.

Is this something that can be reset or do I need to take it in to be sorted?

Thanks in advance

• 2014 i30 1.6crdi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It would seem that the read out is basing its figure on the previous owners driving style.

You need to reset the system and the best way would be to disconect the battery lead for half hour.
That should remove the history of driving style.

You should then find after a few runs the readout will change to display your driving style.

If you leave as it is it may take a while to learn your style and readout may nudge up .
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline JohnC

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Thanks for the info, Will try that.
  • 2014 i30 1.6crdi

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I would just reset it at the trip pc. probably never been reset, I know people say disconnect battery, but when road service come out to a flat battery change ( I never once had a battery go flat on my i30 crdi's ) but when road service have to replace a dead battery they always plug in a small battery to keep the computers powered while the replace a battery. so could be risky doing that battery disconnect . like you might never have an issue, but always a chance.
the thing with the i30 or any other car's trip computer is, like all computers it does not have a brain!! if you are driving in heavy traffic and not moving and motor idles a lot the trip computer is useless as it uses distance to measure fuel economy. where time would be more accurate . very hard to explain. but say you go for a trip in country and non stop driving at a steady speed, after a while your trip computer could start to show you get 60mpg so adjust it's distance to empty to match. then you get to a big city the trip computer will still be telling you 60mpg but instantly you hit the city could be 29mpg but the trip computer does not know this. the only way to get closer to accurate in those conditions , would be to push the reset button it will start on present usage . but they are never 100% spot on but still  a good thing to have as a guide.
just brim your new baby drive for a week or two depends the distance you normally cover then brim her again , when you brim reset your trip so you can work out your average on paper or what ever.
I ride motor bikes too and don't have a fuel gauge at all, I road my mb 3,800 km after buying it and was trying to work out the distance I could safely go on one tank as was over 300km ( about 190 mile ) in one spot  that I could refill, by time I got home after the 3,800km ride I knew how far I could go on a primed tank so just used the trip gauge as no fuel gauge at all.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal