i30 Owners Club

I need to replace the glass in my wing mirror

Offline lacecitygirl

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Notingham England
I need to replace the glass in the drivers wing mirror. I have new glass with backplate and 2 clips, but don't want to use too much force to remove the broken one. Are there any Youtube videos?
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 5door petrol and red

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I was a leery as you till I did the first one.  You have to be brave and anyhow if it's broke to begin with what more damage ya gonna cause.   Mostly they lever out and are click in items

Good luck  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi Gents, had also considered replacing glass in wing mirrors, however my need to to replace convex mirror with a flat one.
Found a supplier of the flat mirror & they also supplied a video on how to do it.
BUT - the replacement mirror didn't have the heater so that they would be cleared when foggy.

Ended up just putting up with our convex ones.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Hi Gents, had also considered replacing glass in wing mirrors, however my need to to replace convex mirror with a flat one.
Found a supplier of the flat mirror & they also supplied a video on how to do it.
BUT - the replacement mirror didn't have the heater so that they would be cleared when foggy.

I was able to have new flat mirrors installed on top of the convex ones and the heating comes through ok. Went to a local windscreen place that made a template of my current glass size and cut out 2 mirrors and stuck them on. Was a while ago but I could try to find the invoice details and let you know. Was here in Sydney.  I was unhappy with the convex mirrors to judge distance with changing lanes and overtaking, Am very happy now.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I was able to have new flat mirrors installed on top of the convex ones and the heating comes through ok. Went to a local windscreen place that made a template of my current glass size and cut out 2 mirrors and stuck them on. Was a while ago but I could try to find the invoice details and let you know. Was here in Sydney.  I was unhappy with the convex mirrors to judge distance with changing lanes and overtaking, Am very happy now.

Thanks for that info. That's good to hear. Not that you'd get frosted mirrors very often in Sydney...  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I once replaced the glass on the wing mirror of one of my earlier cars (2004 Holden Astra). The original one had dropped off because it was glued on instead of held by clips. I went to a glass shop and the guy did a paper template from the wing mirror. He then did the glass piece and installed it (with glue). It cost me $25.
  • 2017 i30 Active PD 2.0-litre Auto Phantom Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal