i30 Owners Club

Power for Backup Sensors

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello,
I have just got a 2016 i30 Tourer S (UK).
It looks like this...

(That isn't actually my one, mine just looks like that)

I have brought some parking sensors, which I was building up to installing myself.

All the videos / descriptions I have seen on installing the sensors say that the power to the sensor comes by tapping into the the reverse light power (seems sensible).

I have just noticed (a more intelligent person would have probably looked at this first) that the reverse light is on the door, not on car body.

Someone has suggested pulling down the roof lining and finding where the rear break light cable goes after leaving that large conduit; but the roof lining looks like it's on really tight.

So, does anyone know the best splice to splice onto the rear break light cables? I'm hoping it'll be down by the wheel arch somewhere.

King Regards.
Jon
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Someone might be able to provide you with a schematic to where you can tap into it anywhere other than the roof lining, such as dash, fuse box, centre console or, as you say, the loom that travels under the sill of the rear passenger door and over the wheel arch.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Oh that would be useful if anyone has one.
I've noticed that, when looking inside the boot, the wheel arch over the left wheel  has a vertical lump (only way I can think to describe it) , as if there is something running up the side of the car. I suspect that it's going to be that.

Got to be honest though, I'm thinking of abandoning the idea of doing this myself because the amount of stuff in the boot I'm going to have to dismantle seems like quiet extensive. Not given up entirely yet though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Oh that would be useful if anyone has one.
I've noticed that, when looking inside the boot, the wheel arch over the left wheel  has a vertical lump (only way I can think to describe it) , as if there is something running up the side of the car. I suspect that it's going to be that.

Got to be honest though, I'm thinking of abandoning the idea of doing this myself because the amount of stuff in the boot I'm going to have to dismantle seems like quiet extensive. Not given up entirely yet though.

It's not something I can recall a lot (if any) members doing themselves. Cutting the holes in the rear bumper would require a lot of confidence and precision.  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
My not sure it's too hideous. Like you say, once you have built up the confidence to put holes in the bumper you're away. Harder put seems to be removing the bumper to push the cables through to the car.

Anyway, if anyone is interested here are some links to give you the idea. A lot of the kits seem to come with the appropriate drill bit. There's loads more youtube. I haven't really found anything where the reverse light is on the tail gate....

2008 Kia Rio...
:link: How to fit Rear Parking Sensors on a Kia Rio 2008 - YouTube

I think these are a company that supplies sensors...
:link: Parksafe Automotive Limited. Parking Sensor Fitting - YouTube

2012 Elentra Bumper Removal....
:link: How To Remove 2012 Hyundai Elantra Rear Bumper And Tail Lights - Body Shop Basics - YouTube

Anyway, i think i'll be learning to driver without sensors again for a while.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Cutting holes in the bumper is easy if you use a tank hole punch. I have had front sensors fitted to 4 cars - the first was done by the Hyundai dealer using a hole saw. It was a ragged mess.

The other three cars were done by a Cobra sensor technician who used a hole punch and die. The advantage is it produces a perfect hole with a radius on the front edge - the paint is pulled into the hole and provides an OEM finish

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal