Windscreen Rain Sensor

AlanHo · 6 · 4074

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
being an ex-engineer I have always had a natural curiosity about how things work. It has cost me some embarrassment and trouble over the years when I have been unable to re-assemble something I took apart in my quest for knowledge.

So yesterday I was driving the car and it started to spit with rain - causing the wipers to start and then stop when the screen was dry. Having nothing better to do I started speculating how the rain is noticed by the car.

Rather than dismantle the car - I Googled when I got home.

A beam of infra red light from within the car is angled at 45o to the screen. Some of it is reflected back to the sensor. If the screen is wet, the light is deflected and it reduces the amount received by the sensor - at a certain level it causes the wipers to start up and remain working until the screen is dry.

So now we know.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Yeah its pretty cool how they work, even with a 42mm multilayer laminate windscreen they still work !
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan, so the next question to answer is why are some better than others. My SR is much better than my Calais at sensing light rain but the system is probably not quite as slick as my first (2010) Hybrid Camry (the only other car I've had with the feature) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks Alan, so the next question to answer is why are some better than others. My SR is much better than my Calais at sensing light rain but the system is probably not quite as slick as my first (2010) Hybrid Camry (the only other car I've had with the feature) :cool:

Dunno - perhaps it's a sub-conscious measure of your psychological attachment to inanimate objects - like a car. You are currently in love with the i30 but the Calais was just a passing fancy.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nah... Don't think it was that.  :undecided: :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
My rain sensor always made the my hand move to turn them off or on.  :mrgreen:
Santa has this function, now all we need is some RAIN.  :rolleyes:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal