i30 Owners Club

2018 i30 SR horn - pathetic sound - how to replace

geoffN · 28 · 15466

Offline geoffN

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi have just bought i30 SR 1.6p Auto (2018 model) - the horn sound is pathetic; is there only the one horn (I can see a horn beside coolant bottle drivers side)?  I have looked at some UK youtube regarding replacing horn on an earlier model where they are removing the front grill? - but if there is only the one horn don't see why need to remove grill.

So has anyone else out there replaced horn(s) on 2018 i30? - thanks in advance

one other question, would it void warranty if I repalce horn?

• i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Geoff. There has been at least one other thread about this "issue". If/when I find it I'll add a link in here.

Edit: Can't seem to find another thread since PD was released?  :crazy1:

Warranty would only be affected on the horn or anything deemed to be caused by your tampering. For example if there was a short or electrical fire (for example) proven to be caused by your modification.

I can't really relate to this horn problem as I very seldom use or need the horn. I think in 10 months and 23,500 kilometres I've only used it once to catch the attention of a friend walking down the street as I drove past.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll find there are two horns, the one beside the coolant bottle is for the alarm and the other "beep beep" horn is behind the grill.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Welcome Geoff. There has been at least one other thread about this "issue". If/when I find it I'll add a link in here.

Warranty would only be affected on the horn or anything deemed to be caused by your tampering. For example if there was a short or electrical fire (for example) proven to be caused by your modification.

I can't really relate to this horn problem as I very seldom use or need the horn. I think in 10 months and 23,500 kilometres I've only used it once to catch the attention of a friend walking down the street as I drove past.

Hi Dazz,
Stay on the mainland long enough and you'll be using it a LOT more,   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Using the horn here will normally end up with a one finger salute and a load of abuse thrown at you :head_butt:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Can't remember the last time I honked the horn on any car.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazz,
Stay on the mainland long enough and you'll be using it a LOT more,   :lol:

I thought about using it a couple of times in some of those big shopping centres you have over there.....

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Using the horn here will normally end up with a one finger salute and a load of abuse thrown at you :head_butt:

I've always said "if you've got time to use the horn,  you've got time to avoid the idiot ".
I usually use the horn to get their attention, before giving the one finger salute.    :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Did you ever find out how to replace the horn?
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't think the author of this thread liked our responses. Hasn't been back on since the day after he joined!  :eek:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I raised a post somewhere about crappy horn on the SR as well.  I'm taking mine back for Hyundai to tweak the down windows using remote tomorrow, I'll ask the guys there if they can replace the horn and how much it will cost.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I raised a post somewhere about crappy horn on the SR as well.  I'm taking mine back for Hyundai to tweak the down windows using remote tomorrow, I'll ask the guys there if they can replace the horn and how much it will cost.

That sounds like an expensive way to go Thanh, but let us know how you go. I can't imagine Hyundai would do that sort of stuff much different to anyone else. If I wanted to do it I'd probably just ask at auto accessory places what they have in aftermarket horns. I imagine they would come with generic instructions.  :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Electric claxons are all built pretty much the same. If it were me, I’d note which moderately old car has a good horn and then source one from wreckers.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I replaced mine on the GD model which I think is pretty much the same. I bought a dual tone Fiamm from amazon. Unbolted the old one and them install the new. The plugs were the same so it was fairly easy plug and play. There are two horns though! The steering horn is behind the pumper and there is a separate one for the alarm somewhere in the engine bay!
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If I were bothered by the horn I'd just pick one up from a wreckers out of a late model Holden - Ford - Nissan - Toyota etc, they're generally all the same type shape now so anything should fit, plug connection might be the only thing that requires changing but I'd cut the plug off the donner car too, just in case :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:57:04 by CraigB »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Don't think the author of this thread liked our responses. Hasn't been back on since the day after he joined!  :eek:

Dammit, another shiftworker!  :scared: :winker:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

8 months is a bit different to 2 days...  :whistler:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

8 months is a bit different to 2 days...  :whistler:
  :rofl: :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All we are saying, is give shift workers a chance.....

It's not our fault were tired, cranky, always in need of coffee......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I think this was the thread Dazz you were on about
:link: I30 horn  :winker:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think this was the thread Dazz you were on about
:link: I30 horn  :winker:
Thanks Scott. We do seem to be going around in circles with this topic. It appears no active member has been keen enough to do the deed.  :undecided:

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
I bought a good horn off aliExpress, cheap and it sounds grunty.  The problem is access, I can not find any tutorials on a PD front bumper removal.
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bought a good horn off aliExpress, cheap and it sounds grunty.  The problem is access, I can not find any tutorials on a PD front bumper removal.

Shouldn't be too hard. I'll start a new thread for you here...

:link: Removal of PD front bumper?

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear
Morning all,

Thought I should chime in here.
I replaced my pathetic horn yesterday with a set of Japanese Matsuba horns.
$70 delivered.

I've used these on all my previous cars and they are epic and very high quality.

I removed the front bar following the simple guide as above, it really was very easy to do and took about 8 minutes.

Cut the plug that was attached to the stock horn in the front bar, wired up my 2 x new horns off those wires using some simple crimp connectors.
Had to play a bit with mounting them, so they both faced down.
One sits below the crash bar and the other sits above it and is hidden away.

Reattached front bar and was good to go.
Sounds great.

I left the other stock horn attached which is up the top of the engine bay as I assume that is for alarm duties or something as didn't do anything when horn was depressed.

Easy upgrade.

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I did mine a while ago too. Cost about $16 for a new horn off eBay. Then i also brought an adaptor plug for $2 (came as a pack of two) off eBay as well so i didn't have cut any wires and can put it back to how it was if needed. Its installed in the same spot as the original with the original bracket etc holding it.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear
Good work with the connector.
I didn't even think to look.
But attaching wires is easy enough I suppose.

Such an easy and good mod

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
The adaptor was just a personal preference so if needs be can return it to how it was. The adaptors took about a month to get here. The horn arrived in a couple of days so i nearly just chopped the plug so i could fit the new horn... Just cause it was a new toy sitting around. I don't think I've actually used the horn since install but

• 2018 I30 Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal