i30 Owners Club

Clutch Pedal making clunking noise when released

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Hi guys, I've got a really annoying problem on a 2015 I30. When I change gear and release the clutch pedal at the engage point it occasionally makes a clunking noise, like it is hitting a stop with some force. On other occasions it works silently. Any idea, as the mechanic at my local Hyundai delearship hasn't a clue. In fact he even suggested that the operation was normal, although I argued that both scenarios (silent or clunky) can't be normal, one must be incorrect.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have an idea that I could impart to the mechanic. Thanks guys.

Charlie
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi blue drive

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does the return height feel consistant? All I can think of is that the pedal is sticking on release. So if it does not return cleanly it sits there under spring tension and then releases and clunks.

The same as if you depressed it adnd instead of releasing it under control if if slipped your foot off and let it fly back under tension it would make a good clunk as it slammed into the endstop.

maybe get your head into the pedal box area and push it down and see if you can replicate it. maybe it's snagging on the return , weak spring ?

all I can think of.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Charlie,
Bit unusual. Taking a guess from afar, I would look at our old friend the clutch damper.
:link: Low clutch bite point resolution

The damper is there to smooth out pulsing from the motor. If it is sticking or lazy it could  possibly give you that thump.

PS. Given that your mechanic is with a dealership, maybe you should part rather than "impart".  :snigger:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ok, so I've misunderstood. I thought uo were saying with the pedal return

Guess #2. Could there be something wrong with the friction plate? torsion dampers springs?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
PLAN #2. Could there be something wrong with the friction plate?  :happydance:

could be  :D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If it continues without diagnosis make sure it is documented in writing before you run out of warranty. Even if you have to send them an email with details of your interactions.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Thanks for your responses guys, I forgot to mention that when I depress the clutch pedal I occasionally hear, and feel, a click, like the pedal is snagging on something. Reminds me of the ratchet effect on a cable operated clutch as it adjusts.

I don't believe that the problem is the clutch itself as the gear changes are easy and smooth. Also the pedal height and the engage point is consistent, even when the pedal clunks.

Excuse me asking a silly question, but does the return spring pull the clutch pedal up or oppose the upward movement?

Thanks again for your help and advice.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi blue drive

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal