i30 Owners Club

How can you get air-pockets out of the cooling system on an FD?

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi guys, I have a Hyundai i30 1.6 2011 FD. If I want to do an antifreeze service. How can I remove any air pockets? I have watched this guy and many others use the same procedure: 
I read around and their is no bleeder valve on the water pump to bleed the air for Hyundai's.
The problem is in the video he has a radiator cap and he fills it up to the full waiting for more antifreeze to be sucked in. We have a reservoir tank. If we fill it up above the maximum, remove all the air pockets like he did. Then how are we suppose to remove the extra antifreeze? because you can never know how much antifreeze it can draw. So do we bleed the antifreeze again till it gets to correct level? 
Thanks for the help guys
  • Hyundai i30 2011 FD HatchBack CRDi

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
I got my antifreeze replaced last week.
after washing the radiator, he filled  the radiator, air kept coming out, slowly he put in more. filled the reservoir above the upper limit. let the engine warm up.
I had to come back for a refill after a couple of days.
all well now. 
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
You said "he filled  the radiator, air kept coming out" was air coming out when the car on or off? Thanks
  • Hyundai i30 2011 FD HatchBack CRDi

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
first he did it with the engine off, waited for a minute and filled the radiator, and again.
after air stopped coming out, he filled the reservoir and started up the engine.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal