i30 Owners Club

Apple carplay playback clicking noise.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hello! Anyone retrofitted the gd-03 headunit in your i30 GD probably are facing clicking noises coming from speakers when you are playing a song from your iPhone on apple carplay. I have an iPhone X and I also used an SE and a 6 plus to check if my phone was the problem. It wasn’t. Yesterday I found my 5S and plugged it on the car to check if the problem was present. I pressed the play button and surprise surprise there were no clicking noises what so ever, just clear music. So, the problem is on the phone’s software and not the headunit’s. Please tell me if anyone found a solution for the current iOS version!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm finding it only happens with some songs, currently narrowed it down to songs that are 192kbps and over that I've downloaded from YouTube, doesn't seem to happen on any CD copied music.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
My songs are all downloaded from Apple music. When I switch apple carplay off from the phone, the radio recognises the phone as an iPod and the sound is perfect.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What do you mean by switching off Car Play from the phone? the only way I see to switch off is to choose "forget this vehicle" but it will automatically re-instate Car Play if still plugged in, at no stage do I see it change to iPod :confused:

Music over Bluetooth is perfect though.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
If you go to settings> general> restrictions you can turn apple carplay off. Try it!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've never enabled restrictions before so I just learnt something new :hatoff:

Yeah songs play fine that way for me as well :confused: I cant find this same problem anywhere on the net so I might have to look into reporting an issue with Apple I think...if I can work out how :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've scheduled a call back with Apple Support for tomorrow afternoon, lets see if they've heard of this issue before :Prayer:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You read it here first, folks...  :victory:

More google hits for the i30 Owners Club! Who needs paid promotions. @Shambles  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I have contacted apple too! The lady said she will contact Hyundai and inform me back. Unfortunately she never reached back to me....

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pretty poor of them not to have escalated the issue and not have returned calls :disapp:

Support were spot on time for my callback, just spent 50 minutes on the phone with Apples senior technical engineering support (Chris) who is personally going to handle this case, confirmed it definitely seems like a Apple software issue going by the fault finding we've already performed so I'm expecting a further call from technical engineering on Thursday.

The squeaky wheels are turning :)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Thank God someone actually is taking action in solving this problem! I don’t know how to thank you! Please inform me as soon as you have any news.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Please inform me as soon as you have any news.
Will do :goodjob2:

Can you tell me what software update you were running on all iOS devices you tested with 5S - 6 - X, I'm running the latest 11.4 on my 7+ though earlier updates still had this problem for me.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
X iOS 11.4
6 plus iOS 11.4
SE iOS 11.4
5S iOS 11.0.3 (the problem does not occur on this version of iOS at least on the 5S)

I don’t know about earlier versions since there’s been about 2 months I retrofitted the GD-03 headunit so I can’t tell!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@aanastasiou4  Thanks for that, is 11.0.3 the latest for 5S ? and have you had a chance to test in another brand vehicle ?

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
The 5S had a software update notification but I did’t updated it. I haven’t got the chance to test another car since I don’t know any other people with carplay in their cars!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The 5S had a software update notification but I did’t updated it. I haven’t got the chance to test another car since I don’t know any other people with carplay in their cars!
Thanks, that will give me a bit more information for them to fault find :goodjob: be interesting to know if the 5S shows the fault after updating, then we could pin it down to a more recent software issue.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Please give me 1-2 days to test this since I gave the phone to my cousin, but I will visit het to test it out!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good man, that would be very much appreciated aanastasiou4 :goodjob:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Thank you!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Apple are on the ball and keen to deal with this issue, already had another call back from Chris today to confirm head unit model/maker and software version, cable brands-length used/tested.

I mentioned the option of maybe being able to install the previous head unit software but Chris said not necessary as they're pretty sure it's a phone software issue due to the music plays fine when detected as iPod.

Also updated their information that software version 11.0.3 doesn't produce the issue and that an upgrade will be performed on the 5S to help confirm a difference in the software changes.

Chris mentioned not many users ever report these problems so they are very appreciative of the troubleshooting tasks performed and asked me to thank @aanastasiou4  for your amazing efforts  :hatoff:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So you both get lifetime free iPhone upgrades? :whistler: :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So you both get lifetime free iPhone upgrades? :whistler: :victory:
I could only wish :lol: though I'll be over the moon with a fix and a thankyou :)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hahahaha oh that is amazing!!! Actually My hobby is to repair damaged Apple and other gadgets and I am a little bit deeper in the world of technology thats why I performed all these tasks and I am very flattered to hear these comments!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:58:10 by aanastasiou4 »
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
@CraigB as promised I have tested the connectivity of iOS 11.4 on my iPhone 5S and as expected the playback problem is present!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for testing that :goodjob: I’ll relay the new info on to Chris.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Had a very testing afternoon, took 4 hours total to get some video recordings sent to Apple and what a pain it was :head_knock: recordings were supposed to be done via my phone and uploaded directly via the link they sent, the only issue with that is once you open the camera the Carplay audio will disable :disapp: so had to use a borrowed phone to record what I was doing with my phone.

The next roadblock came when trying to upload to the Apple support site that isn't compatible with my Edge browser so I installed Firefox portable on a thumb drive to upload with but guess what...Firefox portable wont access Outlook as it reckons Outlook is an insecure site (starting to get pissed off now), so I install the normal Firefox Browser thinking it's just an issue with the portable version, nope! normal Firefox gave me the same response (getting really pissed off now), so over to Opera I go and install that and yippy it works :happydance:

Then it took a further 2 hours to upload 200Mb on my crappy ADSL :disapp: cant wait till we get NBN, they've run the cable to the curb at least so just waiting for it to be hooked up now which is reported to be January :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 18:34:47 by CraigB »

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
@CraigB What do you mean it is reported to be by January?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB What do you mean it is reported to be by January?
January is when my NBN internet is supposed to be connected, not related to our Apple Car Play issue which is hopefully fixed alot earlier than that :fingers:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hahaha OMG! I hoped it is fixed earlier!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
@CraigB  Do you have any news yet about the problem?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal