i30 Owners Club

Slow start, ESP off light active and no rev counter

Nats · 17 · 16677

Offline Nats

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I have a 2010 Hyundai i30, 1.6ltr, petrol and Twice in the last 2 weeks, my car has been slow to start, and once it does the rev counter doesn't work and the ESP Off light is illuminated. If I switch it off, it starts again first pop with no lights or issues.

My regular mechanic and the Hyundai guys can't find any fault.. I'm starting to think I'm going mad!

Anyone else had this issue? Thinking it might be electrical. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:34:57 by Nats »
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Natasha and Welcome.

I'm on tapatalk so can't see if you have model and year in your signature.  I am hoping you have plenty of warranty left.

Definitely sounds like an intermittent electical gremlin. All you can do is ask your service dealer to make sure it is noted in case it gets worse when your warranty expires. It might be worth sending an email to them and Hyundai NZ so you have a record as well of dates etc.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nats

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
Thank you :)
Sadly it's no longer under warranty. Might have to venture to my auto electrician and see what he has to say before I get stranded somewhere with a car that won't start!
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hey Nats,
Welcome to the club.

A few things jumped to mind with the symptoms you have described but nothing that would relate the 3 concerns you have.
When you say slow start do you mean that the engine turns slowly or that it takes longer than usual to fire up?

Did either workshop retrieve any trouble codes? If so what were the codes?

The tacho (rev counter) is a fairly basic circuit, ECU reads engine speed from crank sensor and sends info to gauge via CANBUS.

Being a 2010 model have you ever had the battery replaced? Wondering what condition it is in. Low battery voltage can cause strange things in modern cars.

Also has it been raining much or have you washed the car prior to the concern happening?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Nats

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
Hi Cruiserfied,

It just seemed to take longer to fire up the two times it happened. Otherwise it's all fine (and I tend to stop/start up a few times a day)

No codes came up at either place, and my regular mechanic reckons the battery is all ok as I asked about that.

Not much rain, no more than usual and sadly I hadn't washed it in a while!

• 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Makes it hard when there's nothing to go off for all involved.

It wouldn't hurt to take the car to your dealer and ask them to put the battery tester on it for you and do a full load, start and charge system test.

Can you relate the two incidences at all? Time of day, location, parked uphill/downhill, engine hot/cold? Any similarities at all.

Offline Nats

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
Sadly not many similarities apart from a hot engine both times... Other than that everything about the situations were different.
I swear if someone hadn't been in the car with me the second time to witness it, I'd be starting to think I was imagining it!

Thanks for the advice about the battery, I might just do that this weekend.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Best of luck and keep us updated.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are the spark plugs due a change?

Or have you changed the garage you get your petrol from and or it may be dirty and need to be run down and new fuel bought..

Also, fuel starvation i,e. Fuel pump?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 15:35:19 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline KevinKing

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Having the same issues.
2010 Hyundai i30 1.6 petrol.
Auto electrician baffled as diagnostic showing a fuel pump fault but when fuel pump disconnected the problem does not happen to the car for him.
Driving fine then what seems after about 20 mins of mostly city driving it will chug and ESP light will come on with no revs on the dial registering but still drives with what seems like a little drop in power. Once I get parked & drive again it's the same thing - driving OK then will happen again. Sometimes the car will even cut out and have to restart which is not the smoothest & even flooded it before so nervous even driving it now.
Have to go to Hyundai next week who will charge me a fortune but hopefully they can figure it out!
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very frustrating for you Kevin. The worst kind of faults.  I'll alert our super techie @cruiserfied in case he has cured the same issue...

BTW :welcum:

Offline KevinKing

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
OK - So not good news for me.
Hyundai said the fault they detected was a sensor issue with the steering column.
Tried to get Hyundai to cover it even though it's out of warranty. There was a steering column recall last year but it was for software & apparently mine is a hardware fault so no joy.
I've been told to fix the issue I need a new steering column at about GBP £1200!!!
Does anyone know if the sensors can be reset or if I have any other options?
Been told that sensors are now incorporated into the column and you cannot replace the sensors as you could in previous models but need to change the whole steering column.
Going to seek more advice but if needs replacing I'll be looking for 2nd hand as can't afford to cough up £1200.
All this for an ESP OFF light coming on and car / steering appearing generally fine.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Stand your ground. Steering columns have been replaced free of charge but only for those who make the right noises via a supportive dealer. Don't try and sue me, but at this stage if no actual issues with steering I would try and get someone to reset the light and hope the steering doesn't fail...

Offline KevinKing

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
OK - so I think I have sorted the issue.
Hyundai would not help in any way towards the cost.
They we're going to change me £1200+ for a new steering column based on the fault code their diagnostics threw up but it transpires there appears to be nothing wrong with the steering column.
I left the car to a mechanic friend (they live an hour away which is why I never went there straight away) who isolated the sensors and found a fault in the crank shaft sensor but not the steering column sensors as Hyundai had said.
New part ordered from Hyundai for £100 and fitted by my friend.
So far so good so I'm very happy I didn't get Hyundai to replace the part at the crazy cost when it was not required & wouldn't have fixed the issue.
So Nat - if you're still having the problems get the crank shaft sensor checked individually as my friend advised this is where the rev counter would take its reading from & the fault only manifested itself for me when the sensor heated up (Hence the 15min or so driving before issue happened)
Fingers crossed that's the issue completely dealt with and I can get back to driving without worry. I'll let you know if any other issues arise from this.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Kevin.   :fingers: that it is sorted.

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
I have the same problem.
did the crank shaft sensor replacement fixed the problem?

• I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks KevinKing, Hope you bought your mechanic a beer or two. One up for the Irish.  :goodjob2: Replacing the crank sensor is not a big issue so if I was Nat I would change it , it will probably solve the problem in NZ too.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal