i30 Owners Club

2014 GD estate purchase

Offline academygaz

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lincs UK
I've put a deposit on a 2014 (64 reg here in the UK). its showing 98,000 miles but a complete history file, 2 owners from new.

Condition wise its great for the year, but the car was in limp mode. scanning the car the dealer identified an EGR fault (but I didn't see the code). whilst I was there their mechanic onsite cleared the code and revved it hard which seemed to sort the limp mode as it didn't return on the short test drive. The dealer said it was caused by  lack of use, the their site had been closed due to covid-19 for 12 weeks. The car was running rough, refusing to rev and grey sooty smoke with strong smell of fuel which disappeared after the code was cleared.

We agreed to a price after they agreed to remove and clean the EGR valve or replace it should the issue not be cured.

Plausible cause and result?
  • 2014 FD Estate, Diesel 1.6 diesel, manual, grey

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Brave man, they offering some sort of warranty other than on the EGR?

Assuming you have bought it top it up with some fresh fuel anyway.

Offline academygaz

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lincs UK
3 months AA warranty in the price, I'll be looking into taking out a warranty once its delivered after the weekend.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
3 months AA warranty in the price, I'll be looking into taking out a warranty once its delivered after the weekend.

Welome. Nice car the diesel tourer. Be careful with after market warranties though. Lots of small print (over here anyway)

Usually there are lots of outs (exclusions) and often the things that are covered require a part payment (excess) payable by the owner. They often choose where the repair is done and conveniently it ends up being through the roof cost wise and the percentage contibution you are expected to pay ends up being nearly the equivalent of a realistic repair cost.

Better to put the money you were budgeting for a warranty away in a repair fund account.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline academygaz

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lincs UK
Yeah I have a credit card set aside for car expenses anyway. I can't see too much being trouble apart from EGR or DPF. I'm going to be doing lots of A-Road driving so hopefully won't be a problem. I do about 7, 500miles a year.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal