sunroof window

yodm · 10 · 2642

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
hi all
my car is equipped with sunroof window from the factory.
there are 2 ways to open it, 1 just the rear part goes up, 2 the whole window moves backwards.
when using option 2, for some time now, it made noises like something is not working fine, but operated fine.
today, it will not open, it starts to move down and stops, then jumps back up.  :Shocked:
option 1 is working fine.
after a few tries, I looked from the top of the car and noticed that one side is not going down, pushed it down and the window opened.
there were a few plastic pieces on the left rail, the same side that will not go down.  :scared:
sprayed a generous amount of grease, and its back to normal now.  :crazy1:
I am just curious of what exactly broke.   :question:
anyone had a similar experience?
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I had a similar issue on my Clubsport years ago, one of the roller wheels become brittle and some small broken piece was obstructing the wheel rolling properly within the guide rail.

I'm pretty sure the FD i30 uses the same design Webasto/Hollandia 700 sunroof ( like here :link: Hyundai i30 (700 SERIES 2) ? Prestige Sunproofs W.A. ) which are supposed to be serviced every 24 months if garaged or yearly if kept outside, seals need to be replaced every 5 years.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee, I never thought about my sunroof needing service!  :eek: $$$

Dazz contemplates trading car in...  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

For a couple of dollars Just glue it down that will fix it. :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For a couple of dollars Just glue it down that will fix it. :lol:

Yeah good idea! If it starts leaking I'm just open it up, squirt some gutter sealant around then close it permanently .. Easy peasy.  :evil:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yeah if the drain/gutters/guide rails aren't checked and flushed every 24 months crap can become lodged in there causing the sunroof to not open correctly or worse still a blockage that can result in water getting into the car :eek:.

Seals are important to keep on top of, they're cheap and really need to be done at specified intervals or you could start to develop rust around the sunroof edges.

The service centre should be performing this check/service since it's a factory installed sunroof though I'd be asking them just to be sure they are doing it :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah if the drain/gutters/guide rails aren't checked and flushed every 24 months crap can become lodged in there causing the sunroof to not open correctly or worse still a blockage that can result in water getting into the car :eek:.

Seals are important to keep on top of, they're cheap and really need to be done at specified intervals or you could start to develop rust around the sunroof edges.

The service centre should be performing this check/service since it's a factory installed sunroof though I'd be asking them just to be sure they are doing it :undecided:

Thanks Craig, maybe we can check it out together when you come over.

My first 3 years (60,000 kms) services were free... Now I'm paying they will no doubt want to do all sorts of stuff.  :evil:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, the sunroof inspections and lube should be noted on your service receipts, they were always noted on mine with Brian Gardners HSV, can't remember there ever being a charge for it :undecided: just included in normal servicing though new seals you'll have to pay for but you're not due those for at least a couple of years yet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, the sunroof inspections and lube should be noted on your service receipts, they were always noted on mine with Brian Gardners HSV, can't remember there ever being a charge for it :undecided: just included in normal servicing though new seals you'll have to pay for but you're not due those for at least a couple of years yet.

I'll have a look, but Tyre rotation was listed on one of them, but wasn't done.  :undecided:

It is always garaged except when I park it at the airport and I probably only use the Sunroof 3 or 4 times a year if I'm lucky... too much wind noise.  :cool:

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
as this car was a company lease car for the first 3 or 5 years, and a company car for the rest of the time, I am sure it was never serviced.
I called the Hyundai service after I bought the car, and the only record they have about this car is for one time it came for some kind of a steering wheel fix.
so the sunroof window was never serviced.
and I am pretty sure, that even the Hyundai service here never service the windows.
I will call them and ask. see if they actually know about it.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal