i30 Owners Club

Rear seat knocking/rattling on 2014 GD 5d hatchback CRDi

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
    Hi, everyone! Just joined this club and this is my first post here. Have had my 2014 (GD) i30 1.6 CRDi 5d hatchback since February 2017, and overall am quite happy with it. Everything is performing just as described and advertised (apart from cosmic mpg figures,but that's a different story).
    A few weeks ago I noticed a strange knocking/rattling noise coming from the rear of car when on uneven surface, bumps and potholes, even when turning sharply . At first my fears were about either some suspension component gone or some exhaust fixing come lose and hitting the underbody. So I booked in a service with the main dealer to investigate (since the car has still got just under 2 years of manufacturers warranty). Aaaand...by the time that day came I finished my own investigation and the result was both relieving and annoying - it appears that the rear seat was making that strange noise. Once you fold the longer (60) part down the noise disappears, even if you leave the shorter (40) part up.  After taking the car for a road test with a Hyundai mechanic inside (to listen for noise) he said "£90 and we'll investigate", because warranty only covers rattling/squaking/knockig noise for only 6-12 months from new tops.  I said "Thank you" and drove off.
    Did anyone here have a similar knocking/rattling rear seat noise issue? What is the cause and what are the cures?
Much appreciated for any advise! Thanks!
  • 2014 1.6 CRDi 128hp Style "Cream"

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The  car has 5 year warranty and unless a part is detailed in the service book as having a warranty of less than 5 years then 5 years is the warranty period.

However, beaware that wear and tear is excluded.0
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome electroman,

The dealer is being a bit pedantic to say the least. It never ceases to amaze me how they just don't see the big picture.

Even if they said " rattles aren't usually covered under warranty for more than x amount of time, but we will see what we can do" it would have left a better taste in your mouth and encouraged you to use them again for paid work maybe.  :head_butt:

Can't understand why it's only recently started, but reasonable common and an easy fix. Just wrap a bit of electrical or gaffer tape (preferably black for discreetness) around the loop that the catch grabs on to. That usually tightens the grip and stops the rattle. You may have to experiment with how much you use (how many layers) so as to not make it too tight.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm wondering if the GD has a similar setup  to the FD with a plastic latch handle in the back of the seat. I had the  handle break free and rattle. hard to imagine a seat being raised and lowered enough times to wear the tongue and catch.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Welcome electroman,

The dealer is being a bit pedantic to say the least. It never ceases to amaze me how they just don't see the big picture.

Even if they said " rattles aren't usually covered under warranty for more than x amount of time, but we will see what we can do" it would have left a better taste in your mouth and encouraged you to use them again for paid work maybe.  :head_butt:

Can't understand why it's only recently started, but reasonable common and an easy fix. Just wrap a bit of electrical or gaffer tape (preferably black for discreetness) around the loop that the catch grabs on to. That usually tightens the grip and stops the rattle. You may have to experiment with how much you use (how many layers) so as to not make it too tight.

Thanks for advise. I'll give that "magic tape fix" a go tomorrow. Will see if it makes the noise go away. But the seat sits tight and can't really hear any such noise while  just pulling/pushing/wacking the seat in it's upright position.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
If that does not work try shortening the cords that hold the rear tray that hides the luggage so that it is not resting on the stops. Took me ages to realise that was the rattle at the rear of my car. Slide the toggles down from the top of the cords and put a extra knot in ,easy peasy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:38:58 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Welcome electroman,

Just returned from a quick around the block test run after wrapping that metal loop with some insulation tape and yes!!!! the noise seems to have disappeared! Many thanks for this advise! So obvious and simple, because the seats seemed to sit tight and I was thinking that it was the headrest bar holding channels rattling.

Thanks, Dazzler!  :goodjob2:

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
If that does not work try shortening the cords that hold the rear tray that hides the luggage so that it is not resting on the stops. Took me ages to realise that was the rattle at the rear of my car. Slide the toggles down from the top of the cords and put a extra knot in ,easy peasy.

Thanks for that advise, but I eliminated that possible source of noise in the the first thing. Just removed the whole tray from car, and the noise still was there.
Like I just posted - it was the seat not sitting tight enough, so a bit of PVC electrical tape around the metal loop did the trick!  :cool:
Cheers! :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thanks for that advise, but I eliminated that possible source of noise in the the first thing. Just removed the whole tray from car, and the noise still was there.
Like I just posted - it was the seat not sitting tight enough, so a bit of PVC electrical tape around the metal loop did the trick!  :cool:
Also remember that if the hatch itself starts rattling, the tape trick on the metal loop it latches to at the bottom works also.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great to hear my tip worked! My 9 years on this site has taught me something worthwhile. At least if the hatch ever rattles you can usually adjust the stop rubbers to tighten it. Can't do that with the seat backs.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great to hear my tip worked! My 9 years on this site has taught me something worthwhile. At least if the hatch ever rattles you can usually adjust the stop rubbers to tight it. Can't do that with the seat backs.
I gave up on the stop rubbers Dazz. Couldn't get them right. Spent a half hour or so doing minor adjustments trying to get a balance between closing/ not closing/ rattling/ not rattling.  :crazy1:
Hence the tape.  :mrgreen:
Two minutes. Fixed.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Thats great,always good advice from our members that can save a few headaches & money. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Trev, Gaffer Tape and WD40.. What would we do without them!  :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal