i30 Owners Club

Induction Kit

CraigB · 57 · 22995

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not sure where mine sits at 120kph, somewhere around the 3 mark I think.

Sweet spot for torque might be between 3800 - 4200 but that's not the economical sweet spot, around 2500 is where I like to sit on.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Not sure where mine sits at 120kph, somewhere around the 3 mark I think.

Sweet spot for torque might be between 3800 - 4200 but that's not the economical sweet spot, around 2500 is where I like to sit on.
Hippo feels very weak at 2500rpm, but also she has some high mileage on and the terrain I do isn't very flat.

My next vehicle will have to have a 6spd at least :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Everything is flat here unless I go for a trip into the hills on the weekend but if you're in a sloped environment then I can see how you would be shifting back at least 1 gear.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I drove about 110km into a fierce 70kph headwind. The poor i30 struggled to keep 120kph, and when I got there my OBC pegged my consumption at 12L/100km. On the way back with a nice tailwind I managed 6L/100km, so the two trips evened each other out :goodjob2:

:Shocked:
At 120kmh + 70 kmh headwind, you had a 190 kmh velocity of wind hitting the frontal areas of your car and the subsequent drag over the body. Not surprised you were consuming 12l/100. Anything over 80kmh in total and the wind starts to severely affect performance and economy.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I drove about 110km into a fierce 70kph headwind. The poor i30 struggled to keep 120kph, and when I got there my OBC pegged my consumption at 12L/100km. On the way back with a nice tailwind I managed 6L/100km, so the two trips evened each other out :goodjob2:

:Shocked:
At 120kmh + 70 kmh headwind, you had a 190 kmh velocity of wind hitting the frontal areas of your car and the subsequent drag over the body. Not surprised you were consuming 12l/100. Anything over 80kmh in total and the wind starts to severely affect performance and economy.
Yip, and considering that wind force increases exponentially and not linearly it makes a huge difference as well. But they do call Port Elizabeth the Windy City so I guess I should probably get used to it :(
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
In line with Phil's good guidance, 80kph is when drivers should switch from open windows to air conditioning on hot days. The improved aerodynamics of closed windows outweigh the load of operating the aircon. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I thought my tyres had done 15,000 kms?   :undecided:
They will have by the time you get them :) their on 14800 at the moment.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ok! I got some time to play at a friends dyno shop today and came up with some interesting results.

Stock standard the 1.6ltr is 98kw - 131.32hp as stated in the spec's ( not dyno tested )

The intake kit I installed shown in earlier pictures showed results of 102kw - 136.68hp, a definite improvement but I was still feeling a lack of response " flat areas" when under load "acceleration"

Today I changed around the intake components to a much larger SAAS filter 5.5" x 6" with a 76mm connecter ( previous K&N filter was 4"x 4" with a 63mm connector ) changed the intake pipe to 76mm x 250mm polished Aluminium ( previous intake pipe was 63mm x 300mm polished SS ) and used a 76mm to 63mm silicone connection to the throttle body plus fitted the breather connector to the new pipe which was sacrificed from the old pipe.

Ran her up on the dyno and the figures improved again with a more harder and constant pull through the rev range with a nice growling sound to I might add :cool: , now it's 105kw at 140.7hp so all up a 7kw - 9.38hp gain over stock and the later "new' kit was put together from Supercheap for a much smaller sum of $80 :D

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 18:29:28 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Very impressive for cost.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wish I had discovered this avenue the first time, a different Supercheap in another suburb I don't usually go through stocked a bigger range of products yet is was a smaller store :rolleyes:

Oh well the trial and error was exciting and shows what benefits can be had from building your own kit rather than buying pre-made kits online.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You didn't happen to come across any enclosed inline filters in your searches? Looking to use one with a snorkel on the Jeep and ditch the old filter housing to make room to mount an air compressor.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not sure if I know what they even look like :undecided: anything here :link: K&N Performance Accessories Supercheap did have several various brands replicating a lot of the K&N stuff.

Another place you could try is :link: Filters Elite - Streamlining your solutions the guys here are extremely helpful and if it's a filter you're after they can get it... and probably at prices cheaper than anywhere else, they also manage to obtain just about anything you could want as they brought in some Eagles statues a little while ago that a guy wanted to stop all the pidgins crapping on his house and cars.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:16:49 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Basically this.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found some on the K&N site, also their own enclosed filter kit http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-5052AR

Another type of K&N filter in the picture below but I think you'll get exactly what you're after at a good price by calling filterselite

Offline Okkan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW
Pod filters are illegal because of noise pollution, the cop thha . Pulled you over and let you go because it was filtered had no idea.

The extra's in the intake are for reduction in induction noise.

Looks awesome. Another thing you guys can have a crack at for the same effect less the bling can be a k&n panel filter, fits in standard box, gives a similar response increase and better fuel economy but no induction noise.

And for the diesel guys. I've just thrown a pod filter on the end of my AFM for shits and giggles for the spooling noise. Soon to add an alloy pipe for dose 😅😅.
  • CRDI SLX

Offline Okkan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW
Wow. Excuse the post on an old thread. Its my first!.
  • CRDI SLX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pod filters are illegal because of noise pollution, the cop thha . Pulled you over and let you go because it was filtered had no idea.

The extra's in the intake are for reduction in induction noise.

Looks awesome. Another thing you guys can have a crack at for the same effect less the bling can be a k&n panel filter, fits in standard box, gives a similar response increase and better fuel economy but no induction noise.

And for the diesel guys. I've just thrown a pod filter on the end of my AFM for shits and giggles for the spooling noise. Soon to add an alloy pipe for dose 😅😅.
Sorry but you are wrong, they are not illegal as long as you retain the emissions breather pipe, the cop that pulled me over was correct and his decision concurs with a lot of my friends who work in the police force :)  they are also not noisy...very quiet to be exact and with a slight burble if you plant your foot, noise pollution is only of concern in the exhaust area ( and it would have to be bloody loud ) and blow off valves on turbos and possibly if you are squealing the tyres doing burnouts :rolleyes:

Panel filters placed in the original airbox make very little difference if any at all, the idea is to increase the airflow and retaining the stock airbox and intake pipe this cannot be done.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 13:27:46 by CraigB »

Offline Okkan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW
Don't mean to seem like the smart arse noob typw but this is directly from the epa.  .

"
When fitting your vehicle with a pod-type air filter you must ensure the fitting does not cause an increase in noise from the air intake system. The EPA considers that this type of modification is acceptable when the air filter element is effectively encased or boxed-in."

The police do not make the law. They enforce it. We have had cars come into work with defects for not having the shift pattern on the shifter in a manual (the actual law is an auto must be marked prnd12 I assume for the fact if your inhibitor switch is f****ed you don't run over the poor old lady in front of you whilst starting your car) just one very quick example of HWP having no idea.

Pod filters do increase the noise because your once muffled with airboxes and standard piping induction path is now open.

I agree with the panel filter part ... Sort of. The k&n panel filters DO make a difference in performance although definitely not as much as a well setup pod.

• CRDI SLX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As you stated " When fitting your vehicle with a pod-type air filter you must ensure the fitting does not cause an increase in noise from the air intake system " and I'll repeat that the Pod Filter is very quiet bar the slight burble when you plant your foot, I've done these sort of modifications on many cars over the years and they are completely legal as long as you retain the emissions.

The only time I've heard an overly noisy intake was with the side draft webber on my Mini :D

Offline Okkan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW
It also says

"The EPA considers that this type of modification is acceptable when the air filter element is effectively encased or boxed-in."

I've also done many mod's like this to different cars and work as a mechanic. You do get an induction noise whether big or small this is the law stupid it may be , but that is the way it is.

I have nothing against it. I do it myself. I'm just saying it may be best not to give some people the wrong idea about the legality. If you were to be pulled over by the EPA (which funnily enough does happen but I very very highly doubt would in a brand new car) you would be fined.

Nothing better then the induction noise of a worked, high comp, big cammed car by motor !
  • CRDI SLX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Okkan, I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself but Pods are not illegal as long as emissions are retained, I have friends in the Traffic and Pol-air sectors of the force and I completely know what are the legalities of after market modifications are.

There is no way in hell that one of these pods can increase induction sound in decibels that much to be classed as noise pollution ( which I believe has to exceed 165 decibels...the car (i30) itself would be lucky to reach 70 or 80 decibels ) , you wouldn't be able to here the induction over the exhaust if you had a car powerful enough to develop induction noise.

Another thing I may point out is I have one of these pods on my car currently and have tested on the i30 two different setups with three different types of filters and they are all very quiet, yes a little more volume than standard but still quiet and not loud enough to be heard over noisy tyres/road noise.

If in the unlikely event you did get some unwanted induction noise with a ram air system then it is quite easy to apply/fit a suppression canister but this wouldn't be required on an i30 or 90% of stock standard 4 cylinder engines because the volume of air being drawn into the throttle body just isn't enough to create a sound that would come anywhere close to being called a disturbance/noise pollution.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 16:00:34 by CraigB »

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
You guys down under don't half have some strict laws on what you can fit and not fit to your chariots.

My take on induction kits is that there is always a trade off from the OEM type's. Be it performance, emissions, fuel economy, filtration
Car manufactures spend a lot of money into R&D and they have to strike a balance. If these induction kits are all cracked up to what they say they be then the manufactures would fit them as standard. Don't get me wrong I'm not against them I've had about 9 of my cars fitted with a different type of air filter one way or another and even without and the others box standard

You will find that they can work better on some makes of car than others. Some engine tuners actually leave the OEM system in place and replace the panel filter with a high flow oiled panel filter to aid the filtration, you could fit them without oil but then you risk the chance of debris getting into the engine and after long use take can take its toll on the engine. Same goes for induction kits they are high flow and if anything gets in your engine your going to have a hard time trying to make a warranty claim. Believe me I've tried and failed to the tune of £1800

Don't want to sound like a grumpy old git , if mine wasn't in warranty it would also be getting a seeing too :lol:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 17:31:07 by Johnno »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Each of our states can vary on the specific rules as well, ( like radar detectors are legal here " Western Australia" but not in the other states ) makes it quite confusing at times :head_butt:

The Pod's are similar to the cotton gauze panels in respect to oiling, never use an un-oiled filter :goodjob2:

Offline Okkan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW
I'm going to simply agree to disagree.

Oiled filters you have to be careful with, with a car with an AFM make sure you don't go overboard with the oil as it can oil up the sensors.
  • CRDI SLX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Oiled filters you have to be careful with, with a car with an AFM make sure you don't go overboard with the oil as it can oil up the sensors.
True, always follow the instructions that come supplied with the oil and filter cleaner as it clearly explains how much oil to use :)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I don't want to throw oil on any fires, but as far as air flow is concerned engines need to breath....... But engineers restrict the flow to help with emissions and noise.

Basically, the air inlet on the filter housing needs to be at least as large as the combined area of the throttle body (bodies).

This means that the induction kits should be a beter option any day, but there's the increases in noise which seems to be illegal in Oz.

Simply putting an oiled filter in the standard airbox is just cheaper over the life of the vehicle but won't give anywhere near the power increase of a CAI.

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal