i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 exterior temperature issue / heater problem

Offline Karbzee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hello, I've come across an issue with my i30 yesterday, after driving around the exterior temperature rapidly started declining until it reached -40, it was about 7 degrees outside at the time.

I've jumped in the car this morning and the exterior temperature has skyrocketed to 40 degrees, it's currently winter here in Australia, so it doesn't get to -40,  nor 40 degrees in winter.

I've had the headunit replaced 4 times by Hyundai, it also feels like the heater is struggling to blow hot air, would these 2 be related issues in any way?

TL:DR - exterior temperature display rapidly decreased to -40, then increased to 40+ this morning and the heater doesnt seem to be blowing hot air anymore.

Are these 2 seperate issues or 1 issue?
  • 2012 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Karbzee,

I'm guessing yours is a series 2 (GD) model? The GD01 head units in the Early GD were pretty poor, 4 replacements (wow) that must nearly be a record. The FD series 1 was also available in 2012 (transition year)

The external temperature reading is just a sensor somewhere behind the grill. I wouldn't have thought it would be connected to the heating/cooling in any way, but sure is a coincidence!

Be interesting to see what others think.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Separate issues for sure.
Search -  not blowing hot air -   , see what others have found .
Sensor has died by the sounds of it.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Karbzee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Quick update:  #1 The heater is working as normal, misdiagnoses on my behalf.

Update #2: The external temperature is still not working properly, reading 58 degrees, I'd say from above the temp sensor in the front has died in the ass.

Update #3:  The cruise control light 'cruise" is being dimly let up when the cruise control is turned off, it goes normal brightness when you activate it; but turn it off it remains lit but dimly where it should turn off completely.

Thank you for your time and help.
  • 2012 Hyundai i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Do we know what series this is yet?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do we know what series this is yet?
I suspect a GD if the head unit has been replaced 4 times, GD-01 head units are absolute rubbish :spitty:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal