i30 Owners Club

Time for new tyres

Offline k100Dennis

• 1st Gear

• Railton, Tasmania, Australia
Our i30 now has 84,000 km's, is 6 years old and the tyres are getting towards the wear bars.  The original Hankook's have been really good, I've moved them front to rear every 10,000 km's and they've all worn really evenly.  So the question is - what do I replace them with ?  We never skimp on quality and are happy to pay for that.  Having said that, we don't need the most expensive tyre on the market either, as I tend to believe some brands are just that ,....... expensive.  Important to us is quietness, ride quality and reasonable wear.  My wife is the driver 95% of the time and she is not hard on tyres, quite a smooth driver actually.  Thoughts, experiences, comments ?
  • i30 GD Elite, Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Our i30 now has 84,000 km's, is 6 years old and the tyres are getting towards the wear bars.  The original Hankook's have been really good, I've moved them front to rear every 10,000 km's and they've all worn really evenly.  So the question is - what do I replace them with ?  We never skimp on quality and are happy to pay for that.  Having said that, we don't need the most expensive tyre on the market either, as I tend to believe some brands are just that ,....... expensive.  Important to us is quietness, ride quality and reasonable wear.  My wife is the driver 95% of the time and she is not hard on tyres, quite a smooth driver actually.  Thoughts, experiences, comments ?

Welcome back dogsbody (I mean Dennis) Hankook/Kumho basically the same factory different doors are actually a pretty good compromise between quality and price generally. I replaced the OEM tyres on my series 3 PD SR with Michelin Pilot 4 tyres and while initially impressed in a lot of ways they don't like gravel and definitely got noisier with wear. Ironically they are now the tyre of choice on the higher models of the i30 (the N-line -replacement for my SR)

If I were you I'd be looking at either going same or as close to OEM as you can get or some Conti 5's or Goodyear Assurance or something. 

What I often do is do an online price check then pick 3 or 4 that I like the look of price/brand/characteristics wise then see how they rate by actual owners on Product Review dot com.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Goodyear Assurance is good but i reckon the Efficient Grip is better.

What size, Dennis?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
On my partners' 2011 car, I've generally fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, they've been pretty good. We did try the Hankook Ventus Prime 3 but the tyres on the rear suffered pronounced stepping, and the inner blocks of tread were scrubbed off completely even though the rest of the tyre had plenty of tread (see attached photo). I thought it might be the rear tracking was out but having fitted the Goodyears, they are not showing any sign of uneven wear.

On my 2015 car, I replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin Cross Climate, and they give a very comfortable ride and are quiet. I bought them for the extra grip in cold weather, ice and snow, which is superfluous if you live in a climate where it doesn't get cold.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It does get cold in Tassie where we are, but not anywhere near as cold as you guys get.. certainly no need for a change of tyre in winter like many in Europe have to do.  :cool:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
On my partners' 2011 car, I've generally fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, they've been pretty good. We did try the Hankook Ventus Prime 3 but the tyres on the rear suffered pronounced stepping, and the inner blocks of tread were scrubbed off completely even though the rest of the tyre had plenty of tread (see attached photo). I thought it might be the rear tracking was out but having fitted the Goodyears, they are not showing any sign of uneven wear.

On my 2015 car, I replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin Cross Climate, and they give a very comfortable ride and are quiet. I bought them for the extra grip in cold weather, ice and snow, which is superfluous if you live in a climate where it doesn't get cold.
I think I'd be checking alignment and shocks. Were they rotated?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Not long after they were fitted there was a drumming sound from the back which I thought was a wheel bearing. When it went for MoT the tester noticed the tyres were 'scalloping' on the inner edge which he said could be shock absorbers, or the tyres, and that some combinations of tyres and cars just don't work well together. I fitted new shock absorbers and this eliminated the drumming, but the tyres continued to wear until the inner blocks of tread were scrubbed off. They had done about 40,000 miles, all on the rear axle. That's when I replaced them with the Goodyears, and after 6 months they are showing no sign of uneven wear, which leads me to believe there's not a problem with the rear wheel alignment.
  • i30 CRD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not long after they were fitted there was a drumming sound from the back which I thought was a wheel bearing. When it went for MoT the tester noticed the tyres were 'scalloping' on the inner edge which he said could be shock absorbers, or the tyres, and that some combinations of tyres and cars just don't work well together. I fitted new shock absorbers and this eliminated the drumming, but the tyres continued to wear until the inner blocks of tread were scrubbed off. They had done about 40,000 miles, all on the rear axle. That's when I replaced them with the Goodyears, and after 6 months they are showing no sign of uneven wear, which leads me to believe there's not a problem with the rear wheel alignment.
If scalloping had already started on your rear tyres prior to replacing the shocks they will continue to wear even after after new shocks, even at 40,000 miles most of the wear would have been on the inner edge where it began.

Offline k100Dennis

• 1st Gear

• Railton, Tasmania, Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

205/55 16

Wow! A man of few words!  :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
205/55 16

:lol: you're more used to 36-24-36 :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

205/55 16

:lol: you're more used to 36-24-36 :P

:rofl: Not at the moment though..  :Pout:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
205/55 16
My wife has the 15" Assurance on her car.
I have 205/55R16 Efficient Grip on mine. I'll have them again if I need any.
Not sure how they compare price wise (I know people   :whistler:)
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
205/55 16
Dearer than Diamond 's  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

205/55 16
Dearer than Diamond 's  :lol:

Thanks for reminding me Mick..

Dennis, if anyone offers to sell you Diamond Backs, politely decline! :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal