i30 Owners Club

Guide for GD aftermarket wheels

emi.b · 3 · 2354

Offline emi.b

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone,
I'm new to all this tyre and rim fitting and I would like some guidance and advice.  I have a 2015 i30 GD active X and I wanted to change my wheels, I'd really love 18's - what do you guys think?  Am I dreaming too big? lol

What sizes do people usually go for on models like mine?
Or what size looks best?

Thank you in advance
  • 2015 i30 Active X GD, Petrol, Auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi emi.b, 18's fit on the GD and have the best look imo, you do lose a little ride comfort though and the smaller profile tyre will also transfer more road/tyre noise into the cabin so be aware of that if you go with 18's

18 x 8 rim will fit easily with a 225 x 40 x 18" tyre

17's might sacrifice a little for the look but gain points for ride comfort, all depends what you're after :)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 08:16:57 by CraigB »

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi emi.b, 18's fit on the GD and have the best look imo, you do lose a little ride comfort though and the smaller profile tyre will also transfer more road/tyre noise into the cabin so be aware of that if you go with 18's.  18 x 8 rim will fit easily with a 225 x 40 x 18" tyre

17's might sacrifice a little for the look but gain points for ride comfort, all depends what you're after :)

Agree totally with CraigB's assessment. 

My car has the oem 18" wheels with oem Hankook Ventus Prime 225/40R18 tyres.   I like the look of the oem 18" wheels on the car and the oem Hankook tyres are, imo, satisfactory for normal suburban driving in terms of handling in wet or dry.   

But, I seriously dislike the tyre's low and stiff "40" aspect ratio required for the 18" wheels.  On even, nicely surfaced roads the cabin noise is acceptable but on coarse/open road surfaces I find the cabin noise too intrusive and annoying...so much so that I intend to go 17" wheels with 225/45R17 tyres.  That should give me the same rolling diameter (so will not affect the speedometer) and will fill up the wheel well pretty much the same.

It shouldn't be too hard for me to find a 17" quality built light-ish wheel that will look nice on the car.  However, finding a very good handling tyre that can take the occasional track practice or driver training day AND is  noticeably more quiet-ish than the Hankook's will prove more difficult and requires a lot more research on my part. 

(I accept that my noise issue with the 18" tyres is not helped by being a 76-year-old grumpy fussy Virgo with hearing problems in the left ear...the ear that passengers talk into over the radio, backseat conversations and crappy road surfaces. ;))
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal