i30 Owners Club

Upgrading wheels

Offline JacobT89

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I’m upgrading the wheels on my i30 and I was wondering if I could keep the current tyres I have on my current wheels.

The current wheels I’ve got are SSW Challenge 18”x7.5”. There’s very few options online for 18x7.5 wheels and I don’t like any of the options so I’m looking to go with 18x8 or 18x8.5 as there’s a lot more options available that I like.

The current tyres I’ve got are 225/45R18 and I’m wondering if they will also fit on the 18x8 or 18x8.5 wheels as that would save me a lot of money and the tyres are brand new as I’ve only recently bought them. Offset wise, the wheels I’m looking at will fit my car.

This might be a stupid question but I don’t know much about wheels. I’m still learning all of that.

The wheels I’m going for have the machined/polished lip and I’ve always preferred those wheels as I think they look nicer. The current wheels were on the car when I bought the car so they weren’t my choice.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L, Auto, Red

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
If I were in your position I would decide what rims I wanted and then go from there. As an ex tyre fitter (and 2 x brothers owning tyres shops still) I would avoid recommending putting a 225/45 on an 8.5" rim, the widest I would recommend is an 8". It will fit on the 8.5" sure, but depending on the tyre (225 in one brand will will be smaller than another brand - I know it sounds stupid but it's true) it will more than likely be stretched - not stupid levels of stretched by any means but this means your rims will get scuffed easier, more likely to roll the beads off running low pressure. Then you have to consider resale of your old rims. Bare used rims, unless they are rare, are worth stuff all. Just a few considerations.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
225 tyres are actually a better fit on the 8" wheel so you wont have any issues there, an 8.5" wheel is starting to stretch the sidewalls and not recommended.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Warning: Old man rant follows ...

I don't understand the fad of putting narrow tyres on wide rims. It must have started when young drivers could no longer afford the wide tyres and were stuck with the wide rims.

In my day we went the other way, lots of big rubber out past the rim (no chance of rim rash) and flush with the guard for a smooth muscly look.  :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

I don't understand the fad of putting narrow tyres on wide rims. It must have started when young drivers could no longer afford the wide tyres and were stuck with the wide rims.

In my day we went the other way, lots of big rubber out past the rim (no chance of rim rash) and flush with the guard for a smooth muscly look.  :cool:

Cough and worse handling. Don't get me wrong looks sexy as on the right car but there are min widths for a reason.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Cough and worse handling. Don't get me wrong looks sexy as on the right car but there are min widths for a reason.

Did you mean 'maximum widths'? I acknowledge handling challenges at both ends of the extreme, just like narrow tyres on wide rims risk travelling on the sidewalls on every turn. :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Did you mean 'maximum widths'? I acknowledge handling challenges at both ends of the extreme, just like narrow tyres on wide rims risk travelling on the sidewalls on every turn. :lol:
I think minimum width refers to the narrowest size acceptable on a particular rim width.
As in what you're saying about running on the sidewalls in every corner.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I think minimum width refers to the narrowest size acceptable on a particular rim width.
As in what you're saying about running on the sidewalls in every corner.
I get that. It just doesn't seem to fit the point Josh is raising, highlighted above, but hey, it just isn't worth hammering.

Moving on. :honk:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal