i30 Owners Club

MY11 i30 Trophy 16inch alloys - tyre size query

Offline dreamin

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I’m sure it originally came with 195/55 R16 low profile tyres?  - it currently has 205/55 R16s that are not low profile, look revolting and are dreadful for road noise.

Can I put 195s on it?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My FD 2019 came with 195/65R15 from the factory. In some overseas countries they also fitted 185/65R15 but all the ones I saw in Australia had the 195...
Pretty sure the dearer version came with 205/55R16 but I might need to check on that.
The 55 in the two sizes you've listed is the profile. So if one is low profile the other also is.
There's very little difference in the OD so your speedometer won't be severely affected either way.

Going to the 195 means less rubber on the footprint.

Also the lower the profile the worse the ride quality will be
If you have roadnoise issues that can be attributed to tread patterns or tread wear if they aren't new.
In any case many. FD owners comment on road noise.
It never bothered me though.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline dreamin

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My FD 2019 came with 195/65R15 from the factory. In some overseas countries they also fitted 185/65R15 but all the ones I saw in Australia had the 195...
Pretty sure the dearer version came with 205/55R16 but I might need to check on that.
The 55 in the two sizes you've listed is the profile. So if one is low profile the other also is.
There's very little difference in the OD so your speedometer won't be severely affected either way.

Going to the 195 means less rubber on the footprint.

Also the lower the profile the worse the ride quality will be
If you have roadnoise issues that can be attributed to tread patterns or tread wear if they aren't new.
In any case many. FD owners comment on road noise.
It never bothered me though.

Thanks for your reply.   The 205s are nothing like a low profile, they are bulky, standard tyre appearance and the road noise has been horrible since those tyres were put on.  totally different to the original tyres which were low, sleek looking, quiet and lasted better.

Unfortunately the dealer I purchased the car through has closed down so I can’t verify through them, head office had no idea.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can only repeat. You seem to have a conflicted view as to what "low profile" constitutes.
Going to 195/55 is not changing the profile.

As to what's a suitable fitment for your car, I assume you don't have the owners handbook.
The original options will be listed in there.
In Australia we also have a tyre placard on the vehicle which will also list those sizes.

Otherwise take it to a reputable tyre place who can give you a list of lower profile sizes which will firstly fit your rims and secondly not seriously affect your speedometer reading.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline dreamin

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I can only repeat. You seem to have a conflicted view as to what "low profile" constitutes.
Going to 195/55 is not changing the profile.

As to what's a suitable fitment for your car, I assume you don't have the owners handbook.
The original options will be listed in there.
In Australia we also have a tyre placard on the vehicle which will also list those sizes.

Otherwise take it to a reputable tyre place who can give you a list of lower profile sizes which will firstly fit your rims and secondly not seriously affect your speedometer reading.

I understand what you’re saying, and I understand the difference between a low profile tyre and a regular tyre, I’m just saying how different the original tyres looked compared to the current ones when I purchased the car in 2011 from the dealership  - brand new. 

Yes I have the wonder manual, didn’t even think of checking it, so thanks for your advice. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal