i30 Owners Club

Tyre Bulge

NSK · 7 · 1963

Offline NSK

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the noob post and noob writing. 1st time for everything, right? I've recently noticed a small bulge in my car's front tyre. The car is 3 years old and driven just under 25k, so not the time for tyre change (I think   :confused: ) Anyway, my question is how safe is to keep on driving with this small bulge. Does it require immediate change? Is it ideal to take my car to the authorised service centre from Hyundai to have it changed or take to any mechanic or tyre shop? I have literally zero knowledge in this so I  think I wouldn't know if any mechanic is trying to rip me off my suggesting to change all 4 even when not required or get me to buy the expensive one so best bet would be service centre? And considering I've driven only 25k, is it required to change all 4 tryes as suggested by Google's expert?  :Shocked: Any advice is appreciated as this is the first time I'm dealing with and i30 being my first car ever!

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Fiery red

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looking at the pic I'd say the cords inside the tyre are damaged.
Unfortunately it needs to be replaced. It could blow out.
Do you have a full sized spare?

No need to buy 4 new tyres.
If you can get the same brand and tread pattern do so and put it on the rear
If you can't, put the spare on the car and leave the new one in the boot until you need new tyres and buy 3 to match it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
We have a tyre expert (Surferdude) and when/if he replies listen to his advice over mine.

IMO, the likely reason you got this bubble is from the tyre hitting something like a kerb or a pothole or running over something (need not necessarily be at speed, can sometimes just be the angle of the wheel) or just maybe it's a defect in the construction. 

If it was me, I'd be going ASAP to a tyre repair place (not a dealership) and, as a precaution, I'd be driving there in a sensible manner and avoiding potholes kerbs etc.

I would not be replacing all four tyres!!!!

Ideally, I would be replacing the bubble tyre with the same brand and style (tread pattern) as your one.

The bubble represents a safety issue; your life is not in immediate danger ( :)) but imo you should do something now, not later, if you want to drive your car normally. 

Sorry, I'm pressed for time so I can't go into more detail.  Listen to Surferdude.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
We have a tyre expert (Surferdude) and when/if he replies listen to his advice over mine.

IMO, the likely reason you got this bubble is from the tyre hitting something like a kerb or a pothole or running over something (need not necessarily be at speed, can sometimes just be the angle of the wheel) or just maybe it's a defect in the construction. 

If it was me, I'd be going ASAP to a tyre repair place (not a dealership) and, as a precaution, I'd be driving there in a sensible manner and avoiding potholes kerbs etc.

I would not be replacing all four tyres!!!!

Ideally, I would be replacing the bubble tyre with the same brand and style (tread pattern) as your one.

The bubble represents a safety issue; your life is not in immediate danger ( :)) but imo you should do something now, not later, if you want to drive your car normally. 

Sorry, I'm pressed for time so I can't go into more detail.  Listen to Surferdude.

EDIT:  My post crossed over with Surferdude's above. 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Not sure re warranty on tyres but I got booklet when I bought my car which gave details of warranty periods re age and mileage.

If it is still covered and deemed a manufacturing fault you may get a % towards a new tyre.

I personally would be changing asap.

Check spare and if full size change.

Or even put space saver on but adhere to max speed for the tyre.

Also, what are the tread depth, i.e. Is it near wear limit.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not sure re warranty on tyres but I got booklet when I bought my car which gave details of warranty periods re age and mileage.

If it is still covered and deemed a manufacturing fault you may get a % towards a new tyre.

I personally would be changing asap.

Check spare and if full size change.

Or even put space saver on but adhere to max speed for the tyre.

Also, what are the tread depth, i.e. Is it near wear limit.
Looks like plenty of tread. And that's definitely impact damage. Probably from the edge of a pothole but even can happen from pinching against a kerb. Which possibly the driver wouldn't feel. The weight of the car distorting the sidewall can do it.
Unfortunate but just one of the joys of driving.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ NSK.  So, how did things go with your problem tyre?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal