i30 Owners Club

Worthwhile Brake Upgrade

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
Howdy all,

Been a long time since I've frequented the forum. Thought I'd share my recent findings with everyone.

So my 2010 i30 crdi manual has just done 150,000km, and i've thought for a little while that the front rotors were getting a bit of a lip on them. Add to that I was still running the original factory brake pads, and when the pads/discs were mentioned at the 150k service, it was time to sort replacements.

I sourced DBA T2 slotted front rotors from ebay, along with Brembo pads for all 4 wheels (i can paste a link if anyone is interested). Turned out to be a touch  under $450 (reasonable I thought), and when they arrived I installed them in a couple of hours.

Once bedded in, the brakes are SIGNIFICANTLY improved over stock. I can't really remember setting off the ABS under hard braking, but when I did a few hard stops to wear it all in, the ABS certainly made itself known. Not only is the stopping power vastly more, the ability to modulate is better. I obviously don't expect these to last 150k, but i'll take that trade off for the  improved performance they offer.

The rotors themselves must also be much lighter then stock, because there is a noticeable improvement in the quickness of the steering (especially undsr power - think giving it the beans from a side road into a gap in traffic). I have no idea if the reduction in unsprung mass can also affect how smooth the car accelerates (on the driven wheels especially) but it seems a little better in that regard.

Anyway, the above is all anecdotal evidence, but I am just putting forward this option as a valid one when it comes time for new anchors

Cheers,

GM

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah DBA are good discs, I'll probably be using the T2's or T3's when I'm due :goodjob2:

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
The T3's look like the ones to get if you are doing track work. Buf the T2's are already bordering on overkill for an i30, let alone going more hardcore.

Whichever you get, I do recommend the brembo pads though. Great power and pedal feel.

GM

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The T3's look like the ones to get if you are doing track work. Buf the T2's are already bordering on overkill for an i30, let alone going more hardcore.
T3’s are heavier duty, a much higher grade carbon steel is used which give them a superior life, also useful for vehicles that tow.

If I was doing track then the DBA 5000’s would be my choice being cross drilled and slotted with aluminium hats :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal