i30 Owners Club

New gearbox? FD Diesel Manual

Hman · 4 · 4396

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My 2012 FD i30 diesel manual is up to 191k kms.
In January my mechanic (a mobile mechanic) told me my turbo bearing was on the way out and eventually the turbo would need replacing, probably this year. My mechanic recommended I go to a place called Dr Diesel (I'm in Sydney) when it needs to get done.
Since then, the car developed a loud noise that sounded like a gearbox issue more than a turbo. It's a noise that is constant when in gear across the entire rev range. It's a constant mechanical whining. I assumed if it was related to the turbo it would happen more once the turbo is spooling up but that isn't the case.

I called my mechanic, I told him the noise sounds like a gearbox issue, he said it would be the turbo and again recommended I go to the diesel place.

I went to Dr Diesel, and he said the turbo was fine but the gearbox is about to die! He's going to give me a price this week for a new gearbox. He recommended no long highway drives in case it dies when far from home.
He also said the flexi hose on the exhaust was leaking and told me it's a cheap fix and to go to an exhaust place to get it done.

Has anyone else experienced this gearbox needing to be replaced?
If so what was the cost?
I assume this is going to get expensive.
  • 2012 Sleek Silver i30cw CRDi 6 Speed

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
Sydney ??  Ex-Sydne-ite.
Wide area, could you narrow your location and work location if possible .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hman,

Certainly not a weak point of the FD i30. For a car of that age a reconditioned or good 2nd hand one from a wreckers (with some sort of warranty) would be the most cost effective and sensible approach in my book. Not worth paying 1000's out (with labour included) on a car that may only be worth 6 or 7K.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss:

Unusual to have Diesel box trouble. Therefore, a low Kms one from the wrecker would be the cheapest and most sensible way to go.
Must be a diesel not petrol box.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal