i30 Owners Club

FD clutch master cylinder

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
I am having the common problem with the clutch biting too low, sometimes so it won't go into gear.  I will be removing the damper and replacing it with a blanking plug as this seems the best solution given that Hyundai want £206 for a new damper.
If this don't work I will replace the master cylinder but here is the problem :  all the master cylinders I have found online are a different design as the outlet is horizontal and offset.  On the original the outlet is vertical and connects to a rigid plastic elbow which connects to the damper unit.  Obviously the replacement will not line up with the damper.

Does anyone know about this ?  Is this an official design change ? Do I have to buy something else like a conversion kit ?

• i30 crdi ( 115 PS ) 2009

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I am having the common problem with the clutch biting too low, sometimes so it won't go into gear.  I will be removing the damper and replacing it with a blanking plug as this seems the best solution given that Hyundai want £206 for a new damper.
If this don't work I will replace the master cylinder but here is the problem :  all the master cylinders I have found online are a different design as the outlet is horizontal and offset.  On the original the outlet is vertical and connects to a rigid plastic elbow which connects to the damper unit.  Obviously the replacement will not line up with the damper.

Does anyone know about this ?  Is this an official design change ? Do I have to buy something else like a conversion kit ?

You will need the correct one for your vehicle

Different markets and LHD and RHD vehicles.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
For Australia RHD I see

416052H920 for the diesel and 416052H900 for petrol

contact your dealer to verify what is fitted to yours

Damper is listed as a separate part 416902H900

Again this is what is fitted to ours

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Thanks for the replies.   The Hyundai dearlership will not give out part numbers !
I have searched by VIN number but the parts catalogue I found does not include a clutch master cylinder for my car !

Most of the online suppliers show their product as compatible with the OEM numbers but they will not fit without modification to the mounting of the damper and the pipe run.

Attached is the original cylinder I may need to replace.

Any ideas ?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for the replies.   The Hyundai dearlership will not give out part numbers !
I have searched by VIN number but the parts catalogue I found does not include a clutch master cylinder for my car !

Most of the online suppliers show their product as compatible with the OEM numbers but they will not fit without modification to the mounting of the damper and the pipe run.

Attached is the original cylinder I may need to replace.

Any ideas ?

Bless heir heart and soul for they are truly horrible. PM me your VIN but it may turn out that you will have to purchase from them if you want genuine but it may help to find aftermarket. Finding the master in the catalog is tricky but I am expecting the same numbers as ours.

If it was LHD they would be bountiful as Korea is LHD.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

416052H900   

remember there's 2 parts, damper valve which hangs off the outlet is separate

REGULATOR ASSY - CLUTCH [416901H900]

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Thanks Again.   Any idea what the pink highlighted " ref.32-327 "  means ?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks Again.   Any idea what the pink highlighted " ref.32-327 "  means ?
Nothing you need to be concerned with, just means it's part of that parts group in the catalog (accelarator pedal)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
But the plug is going to fix the problem so...... we await  :phone1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: nzenigma
... But the plug ...

That doesn't read right on so many levels :P

Sorry for the  :offtopic:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
... But the plug ...

:rofl: :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
... But the plug ...

:rofl: :happydance:

:faint:  :rofl:
Too many comedians
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
To get back to the topic !

The damper was removed and replaced with a plug.  It was a sod to bleed but eventually the pedal was hard enough to get a decent gear change. I could feel some vibration on the pedal when changing gear but happy to live with that.

Did not use the car for two days and then found the pedal too soft to change gear. No sign of any leaks and the fluid level in the reservoir was right up to the top.

I guess that means the problem is with the master cylinder.  Spent hours online looking for a replacement and emailing the suppliers but all I got was contradictory info. about whether their part would fit my RHD car. All call centres where no-one can get hold of a part and tell you what it looks like.

In the end I gave up and ordered the part from Hyundai by VIN.  I can confirm that the correct part no. for RHD is 41605 2H920.   

Is it necessary to remove the pedal to get the cylinder out ?     

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
From memory, yes need pedal out.
You are heading toward the same problem. I think you still had air in the line, after two days, all the small bubbles collected at one point, probably the master.

If you  do a search here you will find discussions on bleeding. The most relevant one says is always a problem on this set up, so bleed by applying fluid at pressure into the slave cylinder nipple. Air comes out at the reservoir.

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
The new master cylinder has been fitted and it was not difficult to bleed.  I decided not to replace the damper so I am continuing with the blanking plug.
The bite is still very low but the pedal has stayed firm overnight and I am getting a clean gear change so I am happy to live with it.
Interesting that it was difficult to bleed before the new master cylinder but not after. 

Seems to me that the problem was fluid getting past the piston seal due to wear.  It occurred mainly when it was getting hot so perhaps expansion was a factor.

Anyhow, so far so good.  Thanks for all the help.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Similar issues with mine resolved with clutch damper or clutch control valve bypass.

Good thread by @stkman

:link: Low clutch bite point resolution

:link: Hyundai i30 2007 clutch problems. Fault finding and repair. - YouTube

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal