[GUIDE] How to install a dashcam on an i30N

ntebis · 37 · 22467

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
This guide is taken from n-cars.net by the user DanFez

----

So I was off work and thought i'd fit the dash cam which came out of the old car!

Here is the Dash cam - Nextbase 512GW

And this is the hardwire kit that I used which goes straight the the fusebox - available from Halords - or im sure you can find one online.

Hyundai's are some of the easiest cars to install dash cams to

Step 1 -
Place the dash cam onto the windscreen using either a suction mount, or an adhesive mount depending on what it is supplied to and plug in the hardwire kit to the camera.

There is a small plastic notch behind the mirror which can be removed by just pulling - i found this to be the neatest way to run the cabling -

Step 2 -

Run the cabling underneath the roof lining and towards the A-pillar - Don't be scared to get your fingers underneath the headlining they are fairly robust.

Step 3 - Once the cabling is close to the A-pillar its time to remove the door seal trim which will just pull off and then to get your fingers behind the a-pillar cover and pull - dont be scared to use a little force.

IMPORTANT - WHEN RUNNING THE CABLING HERE THERE IS AN AIRBAG, MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE ROUTING UNDERNEATH THE AIRBAG AND NOT OVER THE TOP AS IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT THE AIRBAG MAY NOT DEPLOY PROPERLY!

As I said, once the seal is off, just pull on the A-pillar trim and route underneath the airbag.

Once this is complete, you can clip the A-pillar trim back on.

Next to the side of the dash board.

IGNORE THE MESS :/

This trim just unclips, either use your fingernails, or a trim removal tool to take this cover off.

As you can see there are many bolts which you could use as an earth, ive gone for a 13mm bolt which goes directly into the chassis.

Now the fun part, locate the spare 10amp fuse on the right hand side of the fusebox - I have tested this with a multi-meter and this is an ignition live, meaning this will only turn on when your ignition is on.

You will need a piggyback micro2 fuse holder which looks like so..

Take out the original 10amp fuse and put this in the slot closest to the prongs and ive just used a 5amp micro2 fuse to keep the dash cam safe.

One this has been put in, test the camera to make sure it turns on with the ignition and jobs a goodun!

Tools Needed:

Wire Strippers/Pliers
Crimpers (Can use pliers if not)
Trim Removal Tool
20 minutes of your time.

EASY PEASY -

3/10 on the difficulty scale.

imgur Album

• 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice work ntebis :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: :drinks:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Ok so I know I posted the guide, but I have a question in regards of the side airbag.

He original Author of the guide said

"IMPORTANT - WHEN RUNNING THE CABLING HERE THERE IS AN AIRBAG, MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE ROUTING UNDERNEATH THE AIRBAG AND NOT OVER THE TOP AS IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT THE AIRBAG MAY NOT DEPLOY PROPERLY!
"

I had a look under my weather seal and I saw a small bag which iI assume is the side Airbag. I am not sure where i should tuck in the cables. Towards the frame?

Also if I want to hace dual channel where should i tuck the cable towards the boot?

Reading this guide gave me a better picture, I still dont feel that comfortable doing it but now I am concerned with the installer f***ing up.

I was thinking to get a blackvue camera and get it installed by Autobarn. I read mixed reviews on ozbargain so I am asking here too.
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't be too frightened about locating the wiring path close to the airbag once you are sure you have removed power to it. My camera in the rear view mirror has the video cable running overhead in the ceiling lining straight to tbe door pillar, so I avoid going near the airbag. The GPS has its power / RDS antenna cable running under the dashmat straight to the fusebox, also avoiding ever having to touch the airbag panel.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you’ve run the cable down the door seal like you pictured then it’s below the airbag and fine, same place I ran mine.

With the rear cam you should be able to tuck the cable into the head lining and run all the way down one side, or if you can get an electricians cable feeder ( snake ) and push the cable straight down the middle to front cam.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
I doubt an airbag is going to care when it explodes (the cam wire might).
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd rather do without the face scarring of a flaying cam wire when it goes off. :eek:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'd rather do without the face scarring of a flaying cam wire when it goes off. :eek:

:lol:
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thank you for the guide.

I am thinking of getting this one for my new SR Premium

:link: VIOFO A119S Dash Camera +GPS+Hardwire kit (Latest 2018 V2 mod)1080P Express post | eBay

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thank you for the guide.

I am thinking of getting this one for my new SR Premium

:link: VIOFO A119S Dash Camera +GPS+Hardwire kit (Latest 2018 V2 mod)1080P Express post | eBay
If you are looking at that style of camera I’d suggest Street Guardian :link: SGGCX2 Dash Cam Drive Recorder | Street Guardian Joikin is the developer who lives in Australia and has one of the best cams around with unbeatable customer service and support.

Reviews of all cams can be found at dashcamtalk :link: DashCamTalk

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
heheh too late, already bought it. :P  Do you guys know what type/size of fuse tab is for the I30 SR Premium?  When it come to electronics, I am a novice.

was looking at :link: Topgear Viofo Dash Cam/Video Record/phone HardWire Kit--battery Drain Protected | eBay

Have no idea which belong to I30 :P

1 x mini long leg Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder
1 x Micro fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder
1 x standard Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder
1 x long leg Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The hard wire kit should come with multiple fuse tap sizes, when you pull out a fuse you’ll then know what type it is and tap to use :)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yup, pulled one out just then and can confirm that it is a Long Leg 9mm by 15mm

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@ntebis - Do you pull the plastic cover off??  - I circled in red

and is this the right fuse plug?  - also circled in red

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Blazorax, no need to take off the pillar trim or pull the door seal away, the cable runs across the roof lining edge and you can tuck it into the top of the trim where it meet the roof lining and use a trim tool to run/tuck the cable into the inside edge of the rubber door seal down to the kick panel  where the excess cable is kept and run enough back for your connection to the fuse tap.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@CraigB Thx bro, i'll have a look at it this weekend. :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My dash cam is powered from the ceiling console so there's nothing close to the airbag. My reversing mirror cam is also powered from there and its video and brake signal cables run directly from the front centre of the ceiling inside it to the driver's door B pillar and down under the rear door scuff plate.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Did the cable run today, it was as simple as tuck in the cable and run along the side just like you said @CraigB .  I got everything down to the fuse box, connect earth to the bolt into the car chassis and then look at the fuse itself #$@%$#^%$ what the heck is that fuse size in an I30 SR??  I went to Jaycar, as well as Repco.  They dont carry any such fuse.  It even smaller than the micro fuse.

Anyone got any idea what the fuse in an I30 SR is called so I can order the fuse adapter online.

Thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mine didn’t have the correct size in the cam kit when setting the it up either, I bought a cheap multi fuse pack from the Caltex servo which had the correct one in there for me to use...no idea what it was called - micro or mini :undecided:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Was googling it and it lead me back to this forum :P   It is called micro2 fuse and fuse holder.

Now going to ebay it.  Not going to drive around anymore :P

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Any Electrician in here? :)

I ran the hardwire kit, at the end of the kit came with 3 wires
1 - Red
2 - Yellow
3 - Black

For
RED, i've connected it to a Fuse tap
Black into car chassis

What do I do with the Yellow wire?

Test power via multimeter and the power came through the fuse tap at 12-14 v.  So that part is good.  Yet the darn camera do not want to turn on. 

Test the camera with cig lighter connection and it turn on ok.

Am I suppose to hook that yellow wire with something?  Is that why at the usb end of the wirekit i got no power?

Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
On my spare cable here Red is ACC out - black is GND - yellow is B+

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
What do I do with the Yellow wire?

Usually that is ignition source, so your camera turns on when you start the car. You may need another fuse tap and find a fuse that is only on with ignition, or, depending on your camera and its features connect it to the red wire but then you need to manually turn it on and off. Not how it was intended but it is a possible connection method. Also possible to connect both red and yellow to an ignition fuse if your camera has battery/capacitor that can power the device for a few second to shut itself down properly. If you do that, any parking recording feature will not be avaialbe as that would be relying on that red wire on permanent battery +.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
connect it to the red wire but then you need to manually turn it on and off.

Thanks Hati.  I'll join it to the red wire then.  I only want the thing to operate when i turn on the car anyway, so that option will be good enough.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
connect it to the red wire but then you need to manually turn it on and off.

Thanks Hati.  I'll join it to the red wire then.  I only want the thing to operate when i turn on the car anyway, so that option will be good enough.

Make sure your fuse tap is connected to a fuse that is activated only with ignition then and you should be good to go like that.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
i had issues with the fuse taps for my Blackvue DR750S 2 channel dashcam with Powermagic (allows camera to record in park mode after ignition switched off.
I needed a permanent live plus a switched live. The first fuses I chose did not always work with the camera even measured 12.7-13v on multimeter. so tried a few fuses until i found a solution
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Joined red+yellow and fuse tap it into the screen washer fuse.  Viofo A119S worked beautifully now.
Now wife want one in her car.

Thank you all.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
My dash cam is powered from the ceiling console so there's nothing close to the airbag.

Is there an ignition controlled power feed inside there then. Do you have a picture at all of how you connected to that console.

Thanks

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
No pictures, a different model anyway, but lowering whatever centre ceiling console you have should reveal a connector with the necessary supply for convenient splicing or adapting.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal