i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDi 116 BHP Chiptuning Tuningbox

jason117 · 56 · 19656

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi clackerz. I found the fuel economy slightly better. The best I got out of a tank was 1300km exactly. That was from a completely full tank.

Icon that's great we have your input, you having traveled so far with two new i30 diesels is great! and the fact no problems.
i still have not got around to getting one, but would like to try one i'm just too busy right now.
i have got 1,300k from my tank once too i filled it right to the top, i drove out west then north west then along golden hwy to the hunter valley, stopped visited friends, then down the putty road to windsor and up windsor road to M2 then home filled up at same servo on way home 1,300 56L if i remember right. but i was driving carefuly and mostly 90kph
i just fitted some Michelin pilot sport 3, they feel great not sure if they will help economy but will see. great wet weather tyre i tested that yesturday.
cheers

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hi Lakes,
Yeah my 1300km was done with about 75% highway driving between Canberra and Sydney averaging about 105km/h, and the rest done in Sydney including the M7 and M5 (I think) on several occasions at the prescribed speed limits (damn those speed cameras). I must say you did quite well considering you don't have a box. I haven't bothered trying to better that because I simply can't help myself. I just love the mid range power and response. It's just fun to give it a a squirt every now and then.
By the way I'll be in Sydney with my wife from Friday 29/10 to Sunday 31/10 in case you're interested in having a closer look at the box. Wedding anniversary obligations mate.

Offline Rektanaku

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
hey how is the tuning box going? I'm thinking of getting one myself have you had any issues or problems with it?

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Sorry for the delay Rektanaku. Yes I'm still very happy with the box. Absolutely no problems or issues with it, and I'm not expecting any either. This is the best bang for dollar I have ever spent on this car.

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
witch tuning box r u using the won off ebay or the pd chip u can get at Sydney diesel

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Apologies for resurrecting an old topic but it's piqued my interest given that I pick mine up today.

If my arithmetic (and Excel spreadsheet formulae) is correct, then the above figures, would indicate a gross increase from 85kw to 100kw if the quoted figures are at the driving wheels and subtract the difference from the advertising 85kw rating of the engine.

Also, the dyno chart refers to a figure in "Ibs" or "pounds". Is this supposed to be the torque figure? And if so, what unit of measurement is it? Certainly, the figures don't line up with "Ib/ft" or ft/Ib", depending on which school you went to.

My only concern is that of warranty and how easily it can be detected that such a device is or has been connected to the engine.

In any case, I'll see how it goes and after the run in period I'll revisit this. The Ebay seller still has them...

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:54:17 by mjt57 »
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This one sounds ok, and at the moment it's on Sale.... :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290439272282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My only concern is that of warranty and how easily it can be detected that such a device is or has been connected to the engine.

Most remove the chip before having their car serviced just in case it voids the warranty.

Apparently there's no indication left of it having ever been fitted as far as logs etc go.  :undecided:

Oh, and I hope you're enjoying your new i30, Martin...... :goodjob:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Hi Rusty.

Yep, just got back from Melbourne. Went great. In fact, I'm not even sure that for me, at least, getting one of these chip sets is warranted. Car performed quite well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rusty.

Yep, just got back from Melbourne. Went great. In fact, I'm not even sure that for me, at least, getting one of these chip sets is warranted. Car performed quite well.

I reckon the CRDi is a great drive without the chip. We had one for nearly two and a half years and the performance and economy was more than adequate.. I decided against a chip or tuning box because of the risk of warranty issues and more importantly INSURANCE issues..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

I decided against a chip or tuning box because of the risk of warranty issues and more importantly INSURANCE issues..
That's a good point.

If you have a major prang and the car's towed you may not be in a position to remove the chip kit.

I'd have to hazard a guess here but I reckon that the insurers would be aware of these modifications and their assessors may be trained to look for them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The company I used when I had the CRDi were cheap but veru conservative ...(Allianz) and thet even took exception to a sports exhaust which did nothing but improve the engine note a little  :disapp: 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi
I´ve read that some of you have fitted a tuning box. Besides the ekstra power and torque you also gained better fuel consumption.
Can you post before / after consumption..?

My 85 kW crdi runs on average 5,5 L/100 km even when I drive very carefully. However I do have 3 colleages in the car every day driving to work, so that of course adds 250 kg to the weight of the car. But I would like to have less consumption, maybe a box could solve that..?

BR
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline brian1726

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Epping
I just orderd a tuning box the same as Jason's...can't wait for it to arrive... :-)
cheers....
  • 2008 grey hatch crdi

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
I just orderd a tuning box the same as Jason's...can't wait for it to arrive... :-)
Post your feedback when it arrives! :)

Offline brian1726

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Epping
The tuning box arrived today,so I fitted it & took the car for a spin.
The car has a bit more pick up but seems to pull much better. :happydance:
Also a little bit more smoother below 1500 rpm.
Worth the small out lay I reckon...
cheers...
Brian. :D
  • 2008 grey hatch crdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The car has a bit more pick up but seems to pull much better. :happydance:
Does it have an adjustment feature (dial, switch etc)? Would be interesting (if it does) to see what different settings give you.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Easy enough to fit? What did it cost, delivered?

The car has a bit more pick up but seems to pull much better.
Now that I've got about 3,500km up on mine and gotten pretty well used to how it drives, a bit more grunt wouldn't go astray.

As I posted earlier my only concern is ease of installation and removal and warranty/insurance issues.

Offline brian1726

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Epping
You can't adjust it...just up unplug & plug in & away you go.
pretty easy really...
cheers... :)
  • 2008 grey hatch crdi

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Did  you  notice  more  black  smoke  on  the  exhaust ,  than  before ? And  the  engine  heating ,  suppose  to  be  quickly  now ,  or  no  changes  at  all ?

BTW , please  put  a  link with  the  product  specification. Thx .

Offline brian1726

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Epping
I haven't noticed any increase in black smoke & the no changes to the engine heating.
Just be I installed the tuning box,I flushed the radiator & the temp seems to run a little lower.
For a link,check out the start of this topic by Jason117...he has put up a link.
cheers...
Brian. :)
  • 2008 grey hatch crdi

Offline Ace Demon

• 2nd Gear
Hey jason117 do you have another graph showing torque? Could we see that?

Torque is not particularly material when you can see the whole power curve. For what it is worth, the torque peak occurs where a tangent drawn from 0,0 (power,speed) origin touches the power curve. In this case it clearly occurs at those little bumps. As far as I know 4th gear is 35.7kph/1000rpm so this appears to give
~ previous 65hp@2000rpm   = 231Nm
~ new       68.5hp@1930rpm  = 252Nm

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
boxers,

how goes the economy since the box went in?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Hey guys, i  know this thread it quite old and no one  has posted on it for a while

But i was wondering if any one had any advice for a Tuning Chip for a 2009 i30 CRDI,.... Ive read allot of the posts on here, which are a bit old so that is why I'm asking again.

Basically I'm just after a bit more power and torque down low through the first 3 gears, and hey if more economy comes as a result too, even better.

Currently averaging 1000kms per tank, mostly high way driving cause of  work.

If any one could recommend a good box\chip for a decent price would be great.

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
Sorry to bring an old thread but I saw some here drove with dieselbox by Race Chip.

If someone has remain their instructions to the box that I would like to know what the factory setting is on the box? Are 2 knobs in the box that can be adjusted.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I had the RaceChip box fitted but was the one without adjustment.

You can allways write to them:   

Technische Fragen:
technik@racechip.com
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
Thanks but now I have found the perfect tread about it here on the forum :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal