i30 Owners Club

i30 Petrol Economy

robbo137 · 43 · 11015

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi all

What has everyone been getting in terms of fuel economy lately? My car currently has 1160km on the clock and I am officially on my 3rd tank of fuel. Unlike my other 2 tanks this has been 100% city driving (well maybe more like 60% city driving as you can't call Canberra much of city). I've been resetting the trip comp after each fill up too. Car is currently sitting at around 7.6L/100 which I am pretty happy about. I have been driving quite conservatively - I coast out of gear where possible, shift gears around the 3-3500rmp mark but I try to never let it get below 2000rpm. Mostly 5-10 minute trips to shops and back (few lights included and very annoying car park so stop and starts) and a couple 40-50km round trips which include driving through the city in peak hour etc. 

Currently using caltex Prem 95.

This is all based on my trip comp and haven't brimmed and manually calculated.

For those of you who have owned their i30 since new - when did you start to see fuel economy improve once the engine settled?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:11:38 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
I have heard that after about 10k the economy will start to be at it's peak, but I have not got any first hand experience of that.

There are so many variables it's difficult to compare other users petrol economy.
From what you are describing about your driving habits 7.6 sounds about right.

For me GD2 petrol manual, I drive suburban 60 and highway 40. Fortunately for me I am able to avoid city driving. Sounds like we have simular driving styles. I generally get high 6s and will go down as low as high 5s if its all highway driving.

It maybe interesting to have a look at vehicles average speed. Which is recorded in the trip comp. I sure it would be more accurate if we can say I get high 6s and my ave speed is 48Ks for example, rather that saying I get high 6s from 60/40 driving.
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The 10k reference is mainly related to the Diesel engine which is particularly tight, initially. You should see improvement before 10k. An occasional country run @ legal limits is good for the engine.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Robbo.. There have been discussion on here some time ago about coasting... I don't think it saves much if any fuel and can be a dangerous practice in some situations.. I wouldn't recommend it.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Hi robbo137, my 2014 petrol auto is getting exactly the same figures as you've mentioned. It hovers around 7.5 or 7.6. I've just reached 2000km. These figures have remained the same through out. I use 95 - 98 octane. I don't have a light foot.....but not heavy either. I like to launch positively at intersections and traffic lights.

Most of my driving is highway driving.....May be the difference between your manual city driving = my auto highway driving = same economy?
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Joebris - I didn't realise you could see your avg speed. I'll take a look.

I've taken her on a few country drives Phil and it has already been on one trip from Syd to Canberra. Good to know i'll see improvement before 10k.

Hi dazzler - I understand that coasting can be dangerous but it is something I have always done. I don't claim to be an expert tech but if the trip comp that calculates current fuel usage is anything to go by than coasting would indeed save some fuel. I travel to work early morning so there are not many cars around and I am always guaranteed a few reds during my travels. I don't coast for Kms at a time more like a couple hundred metres if i'm lucky.

I wouldn't call Canberra city driving Omega ;). In the mornings it's a fairly cruisy drive as I leave for work around 7 and can travel around 60-70km with ease most of the time (even through the city). If i'm lucky i'll get maybe 3 reds through the city. I leave for home around 4ish which generally allows me to beat peak hour but the city is still pretty busy.. not as busy as it could be though. Do you reset your trip comp at each fill up?

Yesterday I was a little heavy footed and shifted at 4k rpm rather than 3k and my usage has already gone up to 7.8L. I shifted like this maybe 3-5 times in total. It's amazing how easily fuel consumption is compromised. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 23:36:20 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Hi robbo, no I don't set it each time. It get harder to affect the longer you leave the reset button. My average speed is 53 on three fills.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
The economy on my wife's i-30 (1.8 manual) improved a bit after the first service.   
I'd guess they tweaked the ecu as it also felt zippier.
It's always been very economical, city/highway max at 6L per 100. Where we live it's mostly highway and it returns 5L per 100.
Seems to never go better than 4.9 no matter what. I've filled up at a highway servo and headed straight off to 110. Averaged a touch over 100kph speed by the computer yet still returned that 4.9.
I reset all the trip computer features at each fill and have noticed the max available now sits around 850k's for a full tank.
It must remember how we drive???
As for coasting, that's from the olden carby days.
A car's ecu has "fuel cut on deceleration" which means at around 1500rpm, the ecu does a total fuel cut to the injectors.
If you're coasting, the car is still idling, not using much for sure but it's still actually using fuel.
Leave her in gear.

• i-30

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
City driving in Gympie that might be a bit of a stretch  :winker:
how many traffic  lights do you have there? half your luck :happydance:

Welcome to the forum :)
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
We live North of Gympie Joe, in the country.
Owing to family illness, the i-30 has done countless trips to Brisbane, 44,000k's on the clock and 18 months old.
Slightly more economical than my old Commo that's for sure.
Last count Helltown had 7-sets of unsynchronised traffic lights and all are on the main highway.

• i-30

Offline AusSam74

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi all, 7.6 sounds good.. My 2012 1.8 auto is sitting at 8.2 using 91 unleaded..

As per my other post I will stay on this for 1000 kms then fill up on 95 to see the difference, then the next 1000 on 98 again to compare and report back..

My driving is 100% city and I drive between light and medium..

I can see yours is a manual so that might be the difference compared to my auto..

The car has done 13800 as well

Sam
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:54:39 by AusSam74 »
  • Hyundai i30 GD Premium

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Omega my avg speed is 41km at the moment.

That is an impressive result crayman! Do you think they really change the ECU at first service? Has this happened to anyone else?
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
It's been a while but the service I meant wasn't the first 7500k service, it was lower K's than that, more like a pre-delivery service.
I thought it went a bit better and no future service has had such an effect.
They like to add injector cleaner at each service but can't say that made any difference either.
  • i-30

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Just completed a 400 km round trip with my GD i30 1.8 auto which has only  1.600 km on the clock. Mainly on the motorway at 100km hr with some local driving at 60 ks per hr . I obtained a fuel economy of 8.9 Lt per 100 ks. I use 95 unleaded. After my previous car ( Ford Falcon )  I appreciated the fuel usage, auto wipers and demist and found the i30 very comfortable and a pleasure to drive.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
I'd expect an auto to return similar economy to a manual on the highway, unless really booting it, dropping back gears etc.
Once it's up at cruising speed, convertor has locked up and it's a virtual manual.
I find the 6-speed manual a bit of a chore so I get it into top gear pretty smartly and this could be one reason for our economy.
Most city driving we're in 5th, then into 6th at around 80.
Car is quiet and comfy on the highway, dare I say more so than the Fairmont.
Just lacks hp for overtaking, but you can't have everything and Mrs is happy.
  • i-30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well after driving & owning two i30 diesel manual's, I'm in Sydney driving my father's Elantra auto it has same 1.8 motor as the i30 & it's auto just body shape more like a sedan. It had 4,700k up less than a year old. The trip computer was showing 9.5L/100k with an average speed of 29 . I reset the trip & was driving in Sydney traffic I was driving easy the trip PC started out ok but went up to 10L/100k in traffic, then had to drive to other side of Sydney used the M2 & M7 then back on M7 M2 & saw it showing 5.5L/100k at one point then settle to 6's, left it set since I've been driving it mixture of 70kph hwy & 60kph hwy moderate traffic & the motor ways it has 5,350 k on the clock now & I have only been here seven day's now it is showing 7.9L/100k will check average speed out latter needs another re fuel, was full when I got here.
Driving in same condition's in Sydney my i30 FD diesel manual 6 speed always was between 5.2 & 5.4/100k with slow speed average around 30 or 40kph & 1,000k or more every tankful that was in Sydney then moved down coast faster speeds less traffic lot of hill's rough road surface still about 5.2 but that's not resetting it if I reset it it could go very low like below three but once it settled would be between 4.5 & 5.2 just diesel fuel costs more, but with the diesel I would fill up ever two weeks or longer petrol seems like it will be fill up each week.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting John.. If the the Mid Range i30 or i40 Diesel had come as a Manual I would have seriously considered one instead of the Calais (I have enjoyed having that long range for the last 6 years, i30 Manual Diesel + 2 x Hybrids)  :confused:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Dazz yes I miss the long range per tank with the i30 CRDi , I have done 440k since I filled the tank & the light is on say's 50k to empty on trip PC , a feature I like is the new trip PC has litres per 100k as it happens. I did not know the new Hy had that feature, I always had that & used it in the car I had before ( Falcon v8 ute ) but the falcon L/100k as it happens shows how many litre per hour you are useing  at idle the hy unit only shows litre per distance , so when you stop at lights the read out stops till you move off. The L/hour would. B very use full for the members with auto who wish to see if putting auto into N at lights helps economy. What u see when you use the as it happens is how the motor uses more fuel each time you brake to stop, it also uses a lot of fuel each time you start off so shows why people in the city use a lot more fuel, like I was back off moving in traffic, the L/100k was showing 0.00L/100k, then I use the brake gently to stop the l/100k goes up 4.8L/100k then I move off easy from lights 37L/100K then it settles down , just show's how much more you use in traffic & why some new members with hy come in complaining of poor economy & wonder how others get such good economy. I wish I had this feature in my diesels it can help you improve your economy on the hwy . Not much you can do in the. City. When I first re set the L/100k on the 1.8 petrol auto was showing in the 5.5L to 6.1 then at 300k distance on the tank full it moved up to 7.9L/100k now with 440k on this tank it has moved to 8.1L/100k, my father had never turned it off to reset & was showing 9.5L/100k he said he has never been on the motorways or on a trip with it, he is happy. With the economy as did not know it had a trip PC reading it out, till I told him. But after seeing the as it happens showing 37L/100k as I start off from lights going very easy , then getting to speed, & knowing how my father drives he gives it more off the lights & kicks it back a gear on hills all city driving. But still a good car,drives well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting stuff John .. My Hybrid has multiple different readouts related to instant and average fuel economy.. not exactly sure what either of the new vehicles have? Think even the base tourer has some sort of trip pc? The Calais would have something for sure, but accuracy may not be that good according to one review I read!

I'm hoping the good habits I picke dup driving hybrids and an i30 Diesel with help with the new thirstier vehicle..  :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm hoping the good habits I picked up driving hybrids and an i30 Diesel with help with the new thirstier vehicle..  :sweating:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

With 210Kw, that's not going to happen.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm hoping the good habits I picked up driving hybrids and an i30 Diesel with help with the new thirstier vehicle..  :sweating:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

With 210Kw, that's not going to happen.  :mrgreen:

:twisted: :honk:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well did, 464k put 45L in filled up with 98 (costs more than diesel ). The trip PC was reading 8.1L/100k , so I think the average that was showing 9.5L/100k that had been going for 4,000k with out being re set  and all city driving no motorway, that would be about right

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Fuel economy has improved greatly now I have 5000km on the clock! During a 400km trip (3-4 stops) I maintained 4.8L/100 at 110km with RON 95 (as per trip comp). Reset the trip comp and stuck on 100km for 200-300km on the return trip and managed around 3.8 - 4L/100.

Currently, around town and during commute I am getting 6.5L/100! ! As previously mentioned this includes around 12 sets of traffic lights and an Avg speed or around 40km. It's fair to say that I am more than happy with these results.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's good economy Robo, I've now driven the 1.8 auto Elantra over 1,000k it have close to 7,000 k up now had 5,500k when I got here a few week's back. Do you leave your trip PC average as it or are you resetting it?
I found I can get ok economy showing on trip PC if I reset, but if I just leave it & just drive in Sydney it moves up to 9.5l/100k. But if I reset when I refill tank it is more like 7L/100k. I was showing my father that you can see L/100k as it happen's, he said"I don't give a bugger" I laughed & told him about us in here.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks Lakes! That's resetting it at each fill up. I had it at around 4.8L when I arrived at Newcastle and drove around for a week and it rose to around 5.4L

• 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Nice figures for at petrol,  :goodjob2:  one could think you've changed the engine to a diesel... :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
All I know is I am not paying or  filling up anywhere near as much as I was when I had the Falcon. :happydance:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Just a thought, how's the accuracy of Hyundai speedos?
I know the Mrs is out, reads 100 and it's actually 95 to 96 and this will only get worse as the tyres start to wear.
I wondered why everyone was always right up our bumper, have to sit on at least 105 indicated to stay with traffic.
The trip computer shows some excellent economy figures but then its reading is at least 5% wrong.
I notice at fill and re-set, the computer shows around 850k range, approx 5L per 100.
Once we're near the 700k mark, numbers start dropping pretty dramatically with the yellow light coming on at 1-bar which appears to be 5L?
Never been brave enough to go the extra and find out.
Apparently a 43L tank and I've had all that and more when filling it right up.

• i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Once you get the one bar displayed it will then start to flash when it gets a bit lower, at the flashing stage I've got 5ltr's left of a 53ltr tank.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
That's interesting. The Mr's car is a 2012 i-30 4-door hatch, 1.8 petrol and 6-speed manual.
Handbook said a 40L tank and that was crossed out with 43L written over.
I guess the 43L might be just the tank and perhaps another 3 or 4 in the pipes?
Couldn't get it to 53 through.
That would give a really decent range.
  • i-30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal